The on topic thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sounds like we are back in negotiations with Edwards and are happy for him to have the season off before starting in July. Now that we've signed a Technical Director it's made filling the Sporting Director spot less urgent and Todd will just do the job again for another window.

Edwards would be an amazing get.

FIFA, UEFA, the FA, and all other head bodies have done a terrible job at protecting the refs and getting players to show respect.

If it's okay at the top level for players to crowd and shout at refs then of course it's going to be replicated at lower levels.

They really need to look at a rugby style captain only talks approach or greater punishment. Who would want to be a ref the way things are now.

FIFA, UEFA, the FA, and all other head bodies have done a terrible job at protecting the refs and getting players to show respect.

If it's okay at the top level for players to crowd and shout at refs then of course it's going to be replicated at lower levels.

They really need to look at a rugby style captain only talks approach or greater punishment. Who would want to be a ref the way things are now.
I mean there's that and the other part of where the current state of politics in countries is at as to why people think it's ok to abuse a referee these days.

Was thinking about this while watching Welcome to Wrexham, after watching a game of NFL yesterday and the different sporting cultures between Europe v America v Australia, and just how ANGRY football fans seem to get in Europe.

They call it passion, but really it's pent up anger and violence, and I can't fathom why people from Europe are just so much angrier than anywhere else in the world. It can't be socio-economic conditions as Americans have it awful as well and yet (I could well be corrected on this) there's no segregation of fans and no huge instances of fighting at NFL/NBA/MLB/etc. games.

Of course in Aus we don't have huge instances of it either, and even Rugby League in England are able to drink in their seats and don't brawl (I don't think?). Obviously there's the point about low scoring nature of football leads to more pent up frustration in the stands, but is that really all there is to it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was thinking about this while watching Welcome to Wrexham, after watching a game of NFL yesterday and the different sporting cultures between Europe v America v Australia, and just how ANGRY football fans seem to get in Europe.

They call it passion, but really it's pent up anger and violence, and I can't fathom why people from Europe are just so much angrier than anywhere else in the world. It can't be socio-economic conditions as Americans have it awful as well and yet (I could well be corrected on this) there's no segregation of fans and no huge instances of fighting at NFL/NBA/MLB/etc. games.

Of course in Aus we don't have huge instances of it either, and even Rugby League in England are able to drink in their seats and don't brawl (I don't think?). Obviously there's the point about low scoring nature of football leads to more pent up frustration in the stands, but is that really all there is to it?
There's no segregation - there are fights (not heaps) but ironically they're often between the same team's supporters haha.

Some cities in the US are worse for it than others as well.

There's no segregation - there are fights (not heaps) but ironically they're often between the same team's supporters haha.

Oh for sure, just like how in Aus there's brawls at AFL/NRL/A-League etc. but it is nowhere near as widespread as Europe.

Oh for sure, just like how in Aus there's brawls at AFL/NRL/A-League etc. but it is nowhere near as widespread as Europe.
Yeah, absolutely not.

I hated how you couldn't mingle in the UK. When I went to QPR Millwall, I couldn't walk up and buy a ticket to the midweek fixture unless I was with a season ticket holder. It's so ****ed.

Yeah, absolutely not.

I hated how you couldn't mingle in the UK. When I went to QPR Millwall, I couldn't walk up and buy a ticket to the midweek fixture unless I was with a season ticket holder. It's so cactus.

I was at Hull-Palace with a friend and we were having a drink at HT on the concourse, and without thinking we just started heading to our seats, drinks still in hand, as the second half was about to start, and we got stopped and had to finish them quickly. It's just crazy that they can't be trusted (and with quite good reason in some cases) to behave themselves.

I’ve been to 2 Bills games, at 1 there was a huge brawl that spilled onto our seats, this one guy got flung down a couple of rows and smashed his face on the back of the metal bleacher, never seen so much blood.
The other we saw an Eagles fan pull out a handgun in the parking lot after the game haha
Went to an NHL game in Montreal & there was a big fight on the concourse after the game.
Going to my first NBA game this year so I’m expecting something to happen.

Most clubs are coming around to it as a good promotion/exposure exercise. Obviously a much lower level but the Welcome to Wrexham series is doing huge things for their popularity, and after the initial bad press of Being Liverpool and Sunderland Til I Die, most series actually work reasonably well as propaganda pieces for clubs.

Most clubs are coming around to it as a good promotion/exposure exercise. Obviously a much lower level but the Welcome to Wrexham series is doing huge things for their popularity, and after the initial bad press of Being Liverpool and Sunderland Til I Die, most series actually work reasonably well as propaganda pieces for clubs.
Welcome to Wrexham is only popular because of their owners to be fair.

I'll still never understand the bad press from Sunderland til I Die. It wasn't their fault Sunderland continued to suck after relegation.

Welcome to Wrexham is only popular because of their owners to be fair.

I'll still never understand the bad press from Sunderland til I Die. It wasn't their fault Sunderland continued to suck after relegation.

Yeah not saying it isn't, I'm saying that because of that popularity, shop sales have soared, their social media following has exploded, and there's a lot more focus on them. Rob and Ryan have owned the club for almost two years but it was the documentary that caused that spike.

The bad press is more around the first season and the way they scrutinised the players so much. Honeyman spoke about it a few years ago.

"I'm sure documentary-makers prefer the access-all-areas approach and it makes for a better documentary, but I don't think that method is conducive to running a winning football team, personally. There have been other documentaries since, but it kind of felt like we were the first ones to do it in modern English football, so it was very much a world unknown."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back