Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Pick 7, Cam MacKenzie, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Langford

Rookie
Suspended
Dec 19, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sam mentioned tonight on the members forum that McKenzie has far greater physical attributes than himself when he was drafted, in reference to a comparison of Frenchy being like a young Sam.
Sam also added that Frenchy is currently working on developing a left foot as he can’t kick on it at all.

Not so good news...re left foot. Very hard to develop a left now you'd think

One of his highlights show him failing badly to handball on his left too.

McKenzie seems to me a speculative pick... which players often are when drafted outside the top 4 or 5 and under pick 15. All clubs reach at those picks, hoping for gold, but accepting some doubt.

Will Day was speculative. Cyril Rioli was speculative. Jack Riewoltd was speculative. Great players. But many like Hunter Clarke, similarly speculative, don't meet those hopes.The slam dunks are picks 1-5 at best.

We need to hold our breath here.. I am. I am worried about McKenzie's floor.

Last edited:

Slainte

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn

McKenzie seems to me a speculative pick... which players often are when drafted outside the top 4 or 5 and under pick 15. All clubs reach at those picks, hoping for gold, but accepting some doubt.

Will Day was speculative. Cyril Rioli was speculative. Jack Riewoltd was speculative. Great players. But many like Hunter Clarke, similarly speculative, don't meet those hopes.The slam dunks are picks 1-5 at best.

I question three of the premises here:
1. Having strong skills on your non dominant side is a definite advantage but not an essential. Plenty of great players have been weak on the non-dominant side.
2. Players can develop their non-dominant side at Mackenzie's age.
3. There is nothing magical about picks 1-5 - plenty of duds and ordinary players in that grouping.

Feb 11, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

His decision making and kicking inside 50 are traits we severely lack in our current squad. Tbh I think a skill that’s extremely hard to be taught. I hope at worst this is a skill that can make up for some of his other flaws

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets

Name the players that can kick with both feet

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I reckon his floor will be fine. With his skills I reckon he will likely mop up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cs61

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Land of the Rising Sun
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I reckon Mitchell sees a lot of himself in the way MacKenzie plays, quick decisions by hand and foot, either to set up others or to do himself. He has the burst that Sam didn’t, but not the left foot yet. Reckon Sam was highlighting that a left foot would really make him a complete player with the type of game he plays and wants him to have the flexibility that Sam did when choosing to set up play.

Accipiter

Senior List
Feb 1, 2021
Qld / WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I reckon Mitchell sees a lot of himself in the way MacKenzie plays, quick decisions by hand and foot, either to set up others or to do himself. He has the burst that Sam didn’t, but not the left foot yet. Reckon Sam was highlighting that a left foot would really make him a complete player with the type of game he plays and wants him to have the flexibility that Sam did when choosing to set up play.
Not sure Sam would have announced it to the world if it was going to be a show stopper.

Birchall was horrendous on the non-preferred, but he went ok ..... Not losing any sleep over this.

The thing about "no left foot" was a joke by Sam, right? No one gets picked if they cant kick both feet.

And a missed handball makes it a "speculative"? Good grief...

Last edited:

Accipiter

Senior List
Feb 1, 2021
Qld / WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not sure Sam would have announced it to the world if it was going to be a show stopper.

Birchall was horrendous on the non-preferred, but he went ok ..... Not losing any sleep over this.

The thing about "no left foot" was a joke by Sam, right? No one gets pickec if they cant kick both feet.

And a missed handball makes it a "speculative"? Good grief...
Hang on, have I got this wrong. Do you mean his foot is missing?

MacKenzie was widely considered the safest bet in the top 10 outside of the top 3 taken in the open draft.

I am not sure how you could call him a speculative pick.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Probably also depends on whether Langford was talking about players who could kick with both feet at the same time.

Different sport but is this what you mean? 🤔

Brock Lesnar Sport GIF by WWE

Or more like this? 😂
water bottle woman GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back