Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Pick 7, Cam MacKenzie, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, it is odd that many have such expectations of Weddle. I have not seen any training reports that suggest he is tearing it up. I would think, that whilst he is a good looking prospect, he would need a bit of time to settle in to the roles expected of him. Mackenzie, on the other hand, has had some dominant sessions in match play.

When I first saw Cam live during the last training session before Xmas he was the player that most stood out for me ……… just the way he moved, has that vision/quick look up, chooses good options upfield and pin points his kicks to a team mate running hard towards the ball. This is his bread and butter! Having said this noticed that he can stand under the ball and take a mark/has courage. At 6 2’ and 83kg when drafted he is no midget. Look out when he gets games under his belt. He’s class. Great pickup

Hi all, for those who traveled to Gippsland did anybody actually track the progress of Mackenzie? Early on there was talk that he didn't have a left foot, and there was supposedly a lot of work to be done on the non-preferred side. I'm still unsure where this one sits, but can anybody provide some commentary around where his skills are at in this space now heading into the practice matches?
Recent miraculous investigations and whirlwind surgery has seen McKenzie secure a left foot to assist him in getting through life.

His skills are fine. In fact they’re better than 80% of our current midfield candidates.

Yeah, it is odd that many have such expectations of Weddle. I have not seen any training reports that suggest he is tearing it up. I would think, that whilst he is a good looking prospect, he would need a bit of time to settle in to the roles expected of him. Mackenzie, on the other hand, has had some dominant sessions in match play.
Most of the commentary around Weddle has been around this physical abilities, hasn't it? I won't really feel confident until I see him play a game.

Most of the commentary around Weddle has been around this physical abilities, hasn't it? I won't really feel confident until I see him play a game.

he and MacKenzie can play, for Oakleigh Weddle played as a running defender and for Vic Metro he played a mix of KPD and intercept defender, as a running defender he also pushed up the wings for Oakleigh and seems good in a variety of positions from memory, but i dont want to put too much pressure on them, they will develop at their own rate, its more of a mental and speed of play transition from what they are used to.

Last edited:
Hi all, for those who traveled to Gippsland did anybody actually track the progress of Mackenzie? Early on there was talk that he didn't have a left foot, and there was supposedly a lot of work to be done on the non-preferred side. I'm still unsure where this one sits, but can anybody provide some commentary around where his skills are at in this space now heading into the practice matches?

His skills are exquisite. It's why we drafted him.
Couldn't care less if he's anything ever more than a nice snap across the chest for goal on his left side, players these days don't run themselves into a last second boot up the boundary. Most have a great understanding of when to release the footy at a time they're most advantaged by their dominant foot, otherwise they hold, draw a player and give it off by hand.

He was my number one choice at the draft for the very reason that he's neat as a pin by foot.
You're going to love watching him play.

When I first saw Cam live during the last training session before Xmas he was the player that most stood out for me ……… just the way he moved, has that vision/quick look up, chooses good options upfield and pin points his kicks to a team mate running hard towards the ball. This is his bread and butter! Having said this noticed that he can stand under the ball and take a mark/has courage. At 6 2’ and 83kg when drafted he is no midget. Look out when he gets games under his belt. He’s class. Great pickup
Sesame Street Fainting GIF

God I’d forgotten how big he is. Pictures can be deceptive. 6’2 and 83kgs is a great size.

His skills are exquisite. It's why we drafted him.
Couldn't care less if he's anything ever more than a nice snap across the chest for goal on his left side, players these days don't run themselves into a last second boot up the boundary. Most have a great understanding of when to release the footy at a time they're most advantaged by their dominant foot, otherwise they hold, draw a player and give it off by hand.

He was my number one choice at the draft for the very reason that he's neat as a pin by foot.
You're going to love watching him play.
Thanks Ff, can't wait. So much to look forward to .....

he and MacKenzie can play, for Oakleigh Weddle played as a running defender and for Vic Metro he played a mix of KPD and intercept defender, as a running defender he also pushed up the wings for Oakleigh and seems good in a variety of positions from memory, but i dont want to put too much pressure on them, they will develop at their own rate, its more of a mental and speed of play transition from what they are used to.

The (temporary) problem is that Weddle seems to be earmarked for a completely new role, so it may take time for him to adjust.

(Swipe across a few times)

Seems like we're due a timely reminder regarding Mackenzie's skills - just watch him. Just watch how good he is.

If he's not the best kick in the draft (or at least out of the midfielders) then I'll change my user name to TassieCryptic2Nash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And he's the son of South Africans, so you've got to imagine he's got a fair bit of c#$t in him.
As Judd2Sewell said abobe, I think he's more like Jacques Kallis, Temba Bavuma, or Morne Morkel than Kagiso Rabada, Andre Nel, or Dale Steyn.

Really?

MacKenzie is a ready made mid, who played the year in that position and excelled, so much so that he was seen as one of the safest bets in the top 10 to step straight into AFL footy.

Weddle on the other hand can run, but he has been asked to learn new roles with us after playing as a key back for most of 2022.
I didn't think Mac was as prepared as Ward last season and might take time to become strong enough.
Weddle - I got the sense he would play even if it was "only" as a defender, just to get his versatility into the team, and then pinch hit here and there up the field.

The (temporary) problem is that Weddle seems to be earmarked for a completely new role, so it may take time for him to adjust.
It’s not a problem, temporary or otherwise. He hasn’t played a game yet. He is only 18.

People expecting first year “bolter” draftees to step into a side and make a big impact? Well….

It’s not a problem, temporary or otherwise. He hasn’t played a game yet. He is only 18.

People expecting first year “bolter” draftees to step into a side and make a big impact? Well….

It's only a potential problem in terms of him coming straight into the side, as some are anticipating.

Love Cam's speed, agility, decision making, kicking skills, etc. He's only 18 yrs old. I'm equally bullish with Can as I was with Ward.
We not only drafted talent but also a LOT of speed and endurance. Wild ride in 2023. Buckle up... We have one of the most exciting seasons only a few weeks away. Gee I love this club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back