Toast The top 25 Richmond recruits from rival AFL clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Whilst I was on my one week ban I decided to peruse through the RFC website and noticed these articles. I thought it was interesting and to see if you good people could come up with your top 25 Richmond recruits from rival AFL clubs or in agreeance with the one they came up with.

My list is:

1. DION PRESTIA
2. BACHAR HOULI
3. TOM LYNCH
4. TOBY NANKERVIS
5. IAN STEWART
6. BARRY ROWLINGS
7. PAUL BRODERICK
8. LEON CAMERON
9. SHAUN GRIGGS
10.BRUCE MONTEITH
11.JOSH CADDY
12. PAUL SPROULE
13.ROBERT McGHIE
14. GRAEME LANDY
15.MICK MALTHOUSE
16.WAYNE WALSH
17.IVAN MARIC
18.CHRIS BOND
19. PETER WELSH
20.RICKT McLEAN
21.NATHAN BROWN
22.KANE JOHNSON
23.JASON TOWNSEND
24.MICHAEL GALE
25.DARREN GASPAR

A few of those are before my time TI but I like your work.
Can't argue with the top 3: Prestia, Houli, Lynch in any order.

Others I'd consider are Greg Stafford, Troy Simmonds, Greg Dear, Ben Holland, Troy Chaplin, Graham Polak, Ben Cousins, Mitch Morton, Rory Hilton, Ben Harrison, Robbie Powell. Probably wouldn't displace too many from your list but all were servicable in their own way.

Whilst I was on my one week ban I decided to peruse through the RFC website and noticed these articles. I thought it was interesting and to see if you good people could come up with your top 25 Richmond recruits from rival AFL clubs or in agreeance with the one they came up with.

My list is:

1. DION PRESTIA
2. BACHAR HOULI
3. TOM LYNCH
4. TOBY NANKERVIS
5. IAN STEWART
6. BARRY ROWLINGS
7. PAUL BRODERICK
8. LEON CAMERON
9. SHAUN GRIGGS
10.BRUCE MONTEITH
11.JOSH CADDY
12. PAUL SPROULE
13.ROBERT McGHIE
14. GRAEME LANDY
15.MICK MALTHOUSE
16.WAYNE WALSH
17.IVAN MARIC
18.CHRIS BOND
19. PETER WELSH
20.RICKT McLEAN
21.NATHAN BROWN
22.KANE JOHNSON
23.JASON TOWNSEND
24.MICHAEL GALE
25.DARREN GASPAR
Tony Greenberg would be compiling the list on the RFC website, he will have Ian Stewart at No.1.

As subjective as it is, I agree with your top 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ian Stewart is the clear best player we got - 3 Brownlows. We got him on the slide - still amazing though.

Then some recency bias. But Meatball, Lynch and Bachar are all great pick ups.

Very well run club these days.

I'm hoping TT and Hops can slide into the top 5 in that list soon.

My list is:

1. DION PRESTIA
2. BACHAR HOULI
3. TOM LYNCH
4. TOBY NANKERVIS
5. IAN STEWART
6. BARRY ROWLINGS
7. PAUL BRODERICK
8. LEON CAMERON
9. SHAUN GRIGGS
10.BRUCE MONTEITH
11.JOSH CADDY
12. PAUL SPROULE
13.ROBERT McGHIE
14. GRAEME LANDY
15.MICK MALTHOUSE
16.WAYNE WALSH
17.IVAN MARIC
18.CHRIS BOND
19. PETER WELSH
20.RICKT McLEAN
21.NATHAN BROWN
22.KANE JOHNSON
23.JASON TOWNSEND
24.MICHAEL GALE
25.DARREN GASPAR
What about Craig Biddiscombe or Matthew Dundas?

Can't believe Scotty Turner never made the list. We got him from Melbourne where he couldn't get a game. Nank was far too high. Rowling's should've been top 3, Cameron and Broderick should've been much higher. Ben Harrison? Think he was only put there cos he's Richo's best mate.

Pretty good list TI.
I guess it's a toss up for how good they were/are and how good they were/are at Richmond. Stewart? Teasdale? (6 games but a Brownlow once he left).
Hard to go past Stewart and Brown for talent, value and quality at Richmond is more argueable.

1. IAN STEWART
2. NATHAN BROWN
3. DION PRESTIA
4. TOM LYNCH
5. BARRY ROWLINGS
6. TOBY NANKERVIS
7. BACHAR HOULI
8. PAUL BRODERICK
9. LEON CAMERON
10. DARREN GASPAR
11. WAYNE WALSH
12. PAUL SPROULE
13. ROBERT McGHIE
14. MICHAEL GALE
15. MICK MALTHOUSE
16. GRAEME LANDY
17. IVAN MARIC
18. JOSH CADDY
19. PETER WELSH
21. SHAUN GRIGG
20. KANE JOHNSON
22. CHRIS BOND
23. JOHN PITURA
24. GARETH ANDREWS
25. RICKY McLEAN

nank is way too high. Barely in current top 10 afl ruckmen
Disagree, I rate him very highly mainly due to the work he does around the packs. His clearance work is like a ruck rover, his tackling, use of the ball (for a ruckman) is pretty good. One of the few rucks in the league that mark the ball in the backline. He averaged 27 hit outs a game last year, same as Gawn.

Pretty good list TI.
I guess it's a toss up for how good they were/are and how good they were/are at Richmond. Stewart? Teasdale? (6 games but a Brownlow once he left).
Hard to go past Stewart and Brown for talent, value and quality at Richmond is more argueable.

1. IAN STEWART
2. NATHAN BROWN
3. DION PRESTIA
4. TOM LYNCH
5. BARRY ROWLINGS
6. TOBY NANKERVIS
7. BACHAR HOULI
8. PAUL BRODERICK
9. LEON CAMERON
10. DARREN GASPAR
11. WAYNE WALSH
12. PAUL SPROULE
13. ROBERT McGHIE
14. MICHAEL GALE
15. MICK MALTHOUSE
16. GRAEME LANDY
17. IVAN MARIC
18. JOSH CADDY
19. PETER WELSH
21. SHAUN GRIGG
20. KANE JOHNSON
22. CHRIS BOND
23. JOHN PITURA
24. GARETH ANDREWS
25. RICKY McLEAN
I think all these lists have Robbie McGhie too low. It's not all about how good they were as a player, but how good they were for the team. So, to take the above list as an example, Nathan Brown was a brilliant player, who had one great half-year before he broke his leg. His recruitement led us from beaing a crap team to being a crap team that seemed to be lifting itself into contention before imploding. McGhie was a very good defender. There's no question that Brown was a far more talented player. But what did he do for us? It's not his fault that he was recruited into a flawed team with a flawed coach and a crap administration. It's not his fault that, just as he was at the top of his game, he broke his leg. But you compare that to McGhie. We were the best team during the 1972 season, but our Achilles heel was our defence, exposed on the big day. We recruited to fix that and won back to back premierships.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back