AFL 2023 funding

Remove this Banner Ad

Who gives a s**t about how many people go to your games?

I know plenty of sad and lonely Carlton supporters who have had literally nothing else in their lives except going to the footy to watch their side get murdered every week. I don't envy any of them.

"Whoo hoo! Look at how high that numbers is!!! Lots of members, big TV rating!!"

You don't get a flag for attendance numbers.

They'll take a small hit for sure but they already do fine without the leg ups Vic clubs enjoy that Papa G mentioned. Their membership waiting list might clear up though.
We missed finals for 6 seasons with zero Friday night games and we're doing much better than the permanent dole bludging cabal

Lovely sentiments.

I however cannot sit here and claim any pride or pleasure in Carlton's revenue making in the last year (and Years before that)

20 million dollars from pokies revenue last financial year is abhorrent.

I know plenty of sad and lonely Carlton supporters who have had literally nothing else in their lives except going to the footy to watch their side get murdered every week. I don't envy any of them.

"Whoo hoo! Look at how high that numbers is!!! Lots of members, big TV rating!!"

Zzzst

Not our fault Carlton is the glamour club, Manchester United/La Lakers of the AFL, TV sponsors and networks always want us on prime time TV even when we haven't deserved it.

Don't hate us because we are and forever be a significantly greater and more popular football club than yours :)

Great data
Port stand out like a sore thumb to me. It's unsurprising the clubs from non footy states and the intergenerational welfare recipients aka small Melbourne clubs are the biggest beneficiaries. I would love to hear the explanation from SA as to why they can't better support two clubs
Not sure why you singled us out as we are closer in funding to Carlton Richmond and Essendon than we are to the club that comes after us, but anyway.
Port had a horrific 5 year period between 08 and 2012. Everything that could go wrong did. Basically all clubs have gone through this, big and small at some stage. It took a little while to recover, but like Port have always been, the leaders in South Australian football, it lead to the redevelopment of Adelaide Oval and both clubs licenses being reliquished from the SANFL. (At a cost, even though we had already paid the original license fee).

Now the SANFL is a big issue here. Unlike in WA where the WAFC seems to have a more collaborative approach, the SANFL has always hated Port and seen the Crows as a cash cow. The Crows were massively popular in the 90s early 2000s, and the SANFL milked them for all they were worth. Port, with a smaller fan base were expected to basically pay the same as what the Crows were. Whilst things were going well we could just keep our heads above water, but in a down time the SANFL still wanted its same pound of flesh. It nearly broke us, and you could argue that is what the SANFL wanted.

Ever wondered why the Crows arent a Financial Bohemouth like West Coast? Crows are definitely the bigger club in Adelaide but it's probably closer than it once was, Crows brand has lost a bit of its lustre and although still present, the dinosaur rampant anti Port media isn't as prevelent as it once was.

Any rate the move away from that dump at Football Park has helped us greatly, But I'd definitely say WA's bigger and wealthier population with more Company Head Offices helping with corporate support is a big advantage for the WA clubs, plus ofcourse the WAFC taking a far more reasonable application to their AFL clubs realising they do the heavy lifting, not the other way around.

Considering there are 23 rounds so up to 46 opportunities to play on a Friday night.

Carlton had the following Friday night games in these years…

6 in 2015
0 in 2016
1 in 2017
4 in 2018
0 in 2019

Total - 11 of a total 115 games possible.
Not a lot for a club that everyone believes gets far more than their fair share of these games.

North on the other hand are seen as a club who doesn’t get any of these games. Here’s their Friday night games over this time.

2 in 2015
4 in 2016
2 in 2017
1 in 2018
3 in 2019

Total 12 of a total 115 games.

Carlton received less Friday night games than north over this time, but some are crying that they had too many? The 2015 year people are losing their minds over because they weren’t competitive and subsequently punished the next year.
Lol

This is so misleading.

Blues only had 4 Friday night games in 2015?

According to this wiki page they had 6

(You also neglected to mention they had a thurs night game and 3 sat night games)

So 10 prime time games in one season, after finishing 13th the prior year.

O in 2016? Neglecting to mention the thurs night game and the prime time sat nights they got.

Try 6th:-

2022 Home Games - Regular Season (excluding Finals):-
My bad I guess,
We'd be 5th just counting our 10 home games at the MCG. That 6k at Alice Springs literally makes the difference between us and Freo so my point still stands

hecking dead set though
As Ive stated, despite being ragged on constantly, our crowd numbers are hardly that bad
I'll take that and the hecking premiership any day of the week lol

My bad I guess,
We'd be 5th just counting our 10 home games at the MCG. That 6k at Alice Springs literally makes the difference between us and Freo so my point still stands

You were overall 6th in home attendance's during the 2022 H&A season.
Irrelevant that you were fixtured to play in Alice Springs.

This year we've recorded a top 3 home crowd year in our modern history.

Which top 3 games were they (excluding finals)?

Lol

This is so misleading.

Blues only had 4 Friday night games in 2015?

According to this wiki page they had 6
Read my post again Filth. I said they had 6 in 2015.

As for Sat night games being blockbusters, lol.
Now I know why you post with emotion devoid of data.

Last edited:
I was a little bored this morning so I summarised for 2012-2022 ( inclusive )...
  • assumed highest given values for 2022 figures from the age table
  • i used an image-text extractor to get the values and had to copy & paste some values around... could be some accounting errors....
  • happy to provide the raw excel if you want collated data

View attachment 1600336
Fremantle having the third lowest funding is a joke.

Dockers pay a royalty fee to the WAFC to fund WA football. (West Coast is taxed more).

We don't get prime time TV slots.

Big Melbourne clubs getting more money than the Dockers is laughable.

Last edited:
You were overall 6th in home attendance's during the 2022 H&A season.
Irrelevant that you were fixtured to play in Alice Springs.

Which top 3 games were they (excluding finals)?
It is relevent because I'm talking our supporter base for our home games , and Alice Springs is a clear outlier and not the MCG. Had it been in Melbourne, t would have gotten over 20k and put us above Freo. EDIT: AT LEAST 20K, we average 30k against interstate supporters bases
But whatever, 6th on the list, and 65k members is hardly embarrassing for a traditionally smaller club

I meant top 3 home ground average year in modern AFL times. It's behind 2005 and 2018

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My bad.

You were still misleading writing that they only had 4 fri night games and ignoring they had the handful of thurs and sat night games.
Sat night games are traditionally dead zones for broadcasters. I’m not sure why you would think they are blockbuster timeslots Filth.

For those whining about not getting prime time slots, the question you need to ask is 'why?'.

I'm sure the AFL is about maximising revenue. If North, St Kilda, Gold Coast, GWS etc were drawing consistently high crowds or viewers, there would be no reason why the AFL would schedule, for instance, Collingwood v Essendon over North v St Kilda.

Carlton v Richmond to start the season has been a success. I'm sure the boradcasters love it. Why then change that for Port Adelaide v Western Bulldogs? The AFL would just be throwing money away, which incidentally, is being used to fund these smaller clubs.

Sat night games are traditionally dead zones for broadcasters. I’m not sure why you would think they are blockbuster timeslots Filth.
Lol what?

Sat nights are considered prime time slots second only to the fri night stand-alone games.

Also, repeatedly calling me filth isn’t the sick burn youre imaging it is from your keyboard.

It is relevent because I'm talking our supporter base for our home games , and Alice Springs is a clear outlier and not the MCG. Had it been in Melbourne, t would have gotten over 20k and put us above Freo.
But whatever, 6th on the list, and 65k members is hardly embarrassing for a traditionally smaller club

I meant top 3 home ground average year in modern AFL times. It's behind 2005 and 2018
If you can only get 20k to a home game against interstate opposition you have a small supporter base. Your crowd figures are 6th because you played a lot of blockbusters vs the big 4/6 vic clubs which inflate your home numbers.

Hence why you need big handouts all the time.

For those whining about not getting prime time slots, the question you need to ask is 'why?'.

I'm sure the AFL is about maximising revenue. If North, St Kilda, Gold Coast, GWS etc were drawing consistently high crowds or viewers, there would be no reason why the AFL would schedule, for instance, Collingwood v Essendon over North v St Kilda.

Carlton v Richmond to start the season has been a success. I'm sure the boradcasters love it. Why then change that for Port Adelaide v Western Bulldogs? The AFL would just be throwing money away, which incidentally, is being used to fund these smaller clubs.

The AFL get the revenue regardless.

But i've been following TV ratings for a while, and the 2 critical factors in whether a game rates well isn't so much the individual size of the competing teams (although it does help a little), it's the attractiveness of a matchup and how close the game is. Can't do much about the outcome of the game, but if the AFL wants to maximise TV numbers the number 1 priority should be to schedule teams that are going well. If you put a shitty team on Friday night and the game is expected to be rubbish, then it's almost certainly not going to rate irrespective of who is playing.

Zzzst

Not our fault Carlton is the glamour club, Manchester United/La Lakers of the AFL, TV sponsors and networks always want us on prime time TV even when we haven't deserved it.

Don't hate us because we are and forever be a significantly greater and more popular football club than yours :)

Carlton is at best the 4th most supported team in their own city. They're the West Ham of the AFL.

If you can only get 20k to a home game against interstate opposition you have a small supporter base. Your crowd figures are 6th because you played a lot of blockbusters vs the big 4/6 vic clubs which inflate your home numbers.

Hence why you need big handouts all the time.

I meant at least 20k. We actually averaged 30k against interstate opposition in 2022 , which is not that bad. In comparison, Collingwood averaged 33k against Interstate opposition , and they're a massive club

You're right, it boost the number for every Vic club.
I'm not saying we're the 5th or 6th most popular club. I'm just saying that the crowd numbers are pretty good, we've got 65k members, we're actually involved in a few blockbuster games, we've got the 2021 premiership, we've ditched the pokies. The club's in a good place - despite all the doom and gloom around here about the dees

I mean I'd rather that then be a Carlton or Essendon supporter who are mostly miserable despite getting an extra 10k to their games and making more money

Last edited:
Carlton is at best the 4th most supported team in their own city. They're the West Ham of the AFL.
Probably 3rd. Collingwood and Essendon are a clear 1 and 2 with Carlton and Richmond battling for number 3

Zzzst

I hate the AFL for putting s**t Victorian teams in marquee slots. Not the club.

The AFL get the revenue regardless.

But i've been following TV ratings for a while, and the 2 critical factors in whether a game rates well isn't so much the individual size of the competing teams (although it does help a little), it's the attractiveness of a matchup and how close the game is. Can't do much about the outcome of the game, but if the AFL wants to maximise TV numbers the number 1 priority should be to schedule teams that are going well. If you put a shitty team on Friday night and the game is expected to be rubbish, then it's almost certainly not going to rate irrespective of who is playing.

I certainly know that on the port board the general sentiment on the general afl chat on a Fri or sat night is watch briefly, get bored as hell as it’s not even a close or entertaining game, ask why the heck would we bother watching this, then flick the tv over. I suspect it follows the same script on many other boards.

But in all seriousness, afl fans crazy enough about the sport to join a forum often turn off the football when it’s a wash.

The afls insistence on giving the prime time slots to a select few teams regardless of performance is the literal definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back