The most important metric when judging a player's career ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Taking all factors into consideration without bias would be the best way to go about it.

Top 5 IMO.

1. Ablett Snr
2. Matthews
3. Carey
4. Ablett Jnr
5. Lockett
In all serious, this would be a very common top 5 amongst all impartial judges of Australian Rules Football, with just the order to be debated/discussed.

I always like to throw John Coleman into the discussion, though longevity is an issue there. I reckon if he played 250 games at anywhere near the level of his 98 game career, he would be the game's undisputed GOAT, with a Bradman like gap between him and #2.

In all serious, this would be a very common top 5 amongst all impartial judges of Australian Rules Football, with just the order to be debated/discussed.

I always like to throw John Coleman into the discussion, though longevity is an issue there. I reckon if he played 250 games at anywhere near the level of his 98 game career, he would be the game's undisputed GOAT, with a Bradman like gap between him and #2.
I'm far too young to have him in there.

That’s what AA selectors go by.

According to them 6 of the best 15 players this century played for Geelong, I s**t you not. 🤣🤣🤣
Ablett Jnr
Dangerfield
Selwood
Scarlett
Hawkins
Enright

All would comfortably be in the top 20. Then you have Bartel not far away and Stewart likely to be thereabouts by the time his career finishes.

That’s what AA selectors go by.

According to them 6 of the best 15 players this century played for Geelong, I s**t you not. 🤣🤣🤣
You can’t on one hand claim that Dusty is the sole reasons for the tigers flags and then claim your team is full of AA superstars

You lot have often claim that the tigers are a one man band so it shouldn’t be a shock that no one else rates your list.

Coaches Award (especially since Dusty has the record votes )

Brownlow is rigged for midfielders and umpires have NFI

AAs are better but players like Danger have 8 and Diesel only 4 which makes no sense

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, but I think overall if you add up all the AA's it is a pretty good indicator of the best players of the last 25 years or so (say players who have won 4 AA's or more). Same can't be said for the Brownlow which is mostly just midfielders and often not even the best midfielders of that particular year.
You can definetly fluke a Brownlow or mvp but if you have multiple like your AA example it’s a pretty good sign of greatness

Coaches Award (especially since Dusty has the record votes )

Brownlow is rigged for midfielders and umpires have NFI

AAs are better but players like Danger have 8 and Diesel only 4 which makes no sense
Like all awards the strength of it can be weakened by those that miss out.
For two of the best midfielders of the 21st century in Judd and Fyfe to not have one between them doesn’t seem right.

You're having a laugh if you think Selwood is/was a better player than S.Mitchell. Selwood v Hodge is a better comparison. Mitchell was another level.

On Pixel 3a using BigFooty.com mobile app

You're having a laugh if you think Mitchell is/was a better player than Selwood. Mitchell v Bartel is a better comparison. Selwood was another level.

Selwood never phoned it in, that's why he has all those AA jumpers. But it's not just his intensity; the guy knew how to orchestrate a win from a 50-50 contest.

Watch out, the Hawks fans will start posting that video of James Worpel beating Selwood in a 50/50 contest... his career highlight no doubt.

You're having a laugh if you think Mitchell is/was a better player than Selwood. Mitchell v Bartel is a better comparison. Selwood was another level.

Hmmm agree on the Mitchell thing but you rate Selwood over Bartel? Interesting

You can’t on one hand claim that Dusty is the sole reasons for the tigers flags and then claim your team is full of AA superstars

You lot have often claim that the tigers are a one man band so it shouldn’t be a shock that no one else rates your list.
You've got it arse-backwards. Non-Richmond supporters are the ones who go on about the Tigers being a one-man team.

Hence the criticism on so many other threads regarding Richmond supporters apparently over-stating the prowess of their players.

Hmmm agree on the Mitchell thing but you rate Selwood over Bartel? Interesting

Selwood over Bartel any day of the week.

6x AA and 3x B&Fs compared to 3x AA and 0 B&Fs says it all.

Selwood is in the top three Geelong players I've ever seen play, alongside Ablett Snr and Jr.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back