todays current day rivalry

Remove this Banner Ad

timokane

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
for the first time i do not think theres like a true rivalry in the afl.
I know Collingwood always its with everyone but apart from that.
I feel Melbourne and Geelong also richmond theres something brewing there.
But not that much.
I think Collingwood and geelong are starting to build one.
Still dont see swans having one either lions.
I feel the old blues pies one has re inflamed again since round 23 in 2022.
I think the cats hawks one was the real last modern day rivalry we have had but that done and dusted.

Used to like the cats hawks matches they were great and at long last a true good rivalry that did not involve the pies.

It does eb and flow with time, Geelong Hawthorn was the one for a decade now the Hawks are in rebuild, I think Collingwood Essendon is likely the most lasting one, regardless of where they are on the ladder the Anzac game is always a blast. I quite like the Showdown as well.

Manufactured rivalry doesn't count

Even if your assertion was true why wouldn't it? If people believe in the rivalry and care about it then why does the origin invalidate it?

Your argument fails even most basic of logic tests. Clearly your cognitive abilities are set to a timer that doesn't recognise the mid-AM

It does eb and flow with time, Geelong Hawthorn was the one for a decade now the Hawks are in rebuild, I think Collingwood Essendon is likely the most lasting one, regardless of where they are on the ladder the Anzac game is always a blast. I quite like the Showdown as well.
Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 12 points
Geelong defeated Hawthorn by 5 points
Geelong defeated Hawthorn by 61 points
Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 24 points
Geelong defeated Hawthorn by 23 points
Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 11 points
Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 1 points
Geelong defeated Hawthorn by 3 points

4-4 over the last 8 games. Median average of 13. Fair to say not much has been lost.

Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 12 points
Geelong defeated Hawthorn by 5 points
Geelong defeated Hawthorn by 61 points
Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 24 points
Geelong defeated Hawthorn by 23 points
Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 11 points
Hawthorn defeated Geelong by 1 points
Geelong defeated Hawthorn by 3 points

4-4 over the last 8 games. Median average of 13. Fair to say not much has been lost.
Media has stopped talking about it. The average footy fan is a parrot. If the media said it was the greatest thing ever, the average fan would be blowing their load over it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong vs Hawthorn still exists. Despite our recent descent just go and look at the results of the last 2 Easter Monday games.

It's now a rivalry that gets a showcase timeslot every season and regardless of both teams current form lines, usually always delivers.

Collingwood v Carlton. Enough said. It's historic and dates back to the foundation of the VFL. The rivalry brewed last year and will not go away in the next few years.

Richmond v Geelong. Won't be shocked if this is the GF this year.

My favourite interstate rivalry - West Coast v Collingwood. We played each other in finals and a GF not too long ago including two drawn finals with the Pies prevailing in the replay in 1990 and in extra time 17 years later.

Collingwood v Carlton. Enough said. It's historic and dates back to the foundation of the VFL. The rivalry brewed last year and will not go away in the next few years.

Richmond v Geelong. Won't be shocked if this is the GF this year.

My favourite interstate rivalry - West Coast v Collingwood. We played each other in finals and a GF not too long ago including two drawn finals with the Pies prevailing in the replay in 1990 and in extra time 17 years later.
The Pies vs Blues games last year were both fantastic, this years games will be 90k+

Manufactured rivalry doesn't count
It’s not manufactured at all it’s the realist of them all.
The shit fight to deny port entry.
Cows sold as the team for all south Australians.
Port being the most successful team by a mile historically created this you’re a port supporter or you flipping despise them.
On field no matter where they are on the ladder it’s grandfinal like for bragging rights.
Off field the port and crows supporters I know get genuinely the same satisfaction from the other mob losing as their own team winning.
If theirs an off field issue at one club the other supporter base giggle like school girls in evil satisfaction.
It’s that relevant that the vics were trying to steal a showdown to have at the G.

Adelaide v. Port Adelaide remains the biggest (and best) IMO.

I dare you to find a higher stakes rivalry than the three way match-up between Collingwood, GWS and the Western Bulldogs in the 2012 pre-season. This game actually inspired the absolute bidding war that has waged for a decade between the three clubs over Adam Treloar’s services. The rivalry is so intense that they’ve never again played the three sides at the same time because of the anticipated fallout from fans.

WB/Coll/GWS the premier rivalry in the AFL - probably even sport in general. I dare you to change my mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back