todays current day rivalry

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it goes both ways.
Funny both supporters say they don’t care about each other, but nearly every thread gets polluted in this non-rivalry.
To be fair, the majority of those posts come from 3 odd fanatics from each team and a random Collingwood supporter with nothing better to do.

I think the majority of other posters from either side are quite respectful and acknowledging of each clubs respective achievements.

for the first time i do not think theres like a true rivalry in the afl.
I know Collingwood always its with everyone but apart from that.
I feel Melbourne and Geelong also richmond theres something brewing there.
But not that much.
I think Collingwood and geelong are starting to build one.
Still dont see swans having one either lions.
I feel the old blues pies one has re inflamed again since round 23 in 2022.
I think the cats hawks one was the real last modern day rivalry we have had but that done and dusted.
The cats Hawks one is still there.

They beat us last year in a year they were a dumpster fire and we were premiers

Funny both supporters say they don’t care about each other, but nearly every thread gets polluted in this non-rivalry.
I do like talking the opportunity to lean into it because it seems to drive a certain segment of tigers supporters clinically insane.

But I think deep down mainstream supporters on both sides don't really care

It's now a rivalry that gets a showcase timeslot every season and regardless of both teams current form lines, usually always delivers.
Just like the Anzac Day match b/n Pies and Bombers

It reminds me a little of the Geelong-Freo rivalry that was all the rage nearly a decade back now, around 2012 - to whenever Freo stopped making finals and the Ballantyne/Crowley types retired. It was a thing until suddenly it wasn't.

Agree on cats hawks always spice to it.
2008 lives on i guess and both hate each others guts still.
Cats tigers are developing into another spicy rivalry.
Always thought dogs and gws has some niggle.
Surprise cats and dees yet to gather anything for that.

To me apart from the always rivalry that Collingwood always has and had with all teams.
I feel its geelong that everyone wants to beat and beat bad too.
Cats are grubs and most people who i know who dont follow them hate them.
They are afl and state government gifted club as well that shits me.
I much prefer tigers then the cats any day and that saying something.

In order of hate i have cats there at number 1 never liked hawks much apart from the days of 1987-1989 say.
Other worthy mentions are north they still think carey still plays for them and of course tigers same but they think its 17,19 and 20 all the time and they are top dog still.

Actually dont give a crap bombers and even the blues much these days they over hype themselves but i repect their history as a club.

Dees due to the fact Collingwood are always giving away queens birthday match to them in which dees keep all the profits.

Interstate i hate eagles and power flog of a team i dont mind the rest even though only reason i hate gws is due to toby green the rest are fine.

Since 1990 its always been Collingwood v AFL

The cats Hawks one is still there.

They beat us last year in a year they were a dumpster fire and we were premiers
Think Geelong would like to get that one back.....it was telling though that early in the season (Easter Monday) it was 'Mouthguards at training' for the Hawks, they absolutely jumped Geelong, 3 goals and the first 17 possessions of the match, yet toward the end of the season they play the Tigers and put Sicily in the midfield and a one-game no-name on Tom Lynch, no surprise the latter kicked 8 in the first three quarters. There may have been a side or two who were disappointed at the white flag waved by the Hawks in that latter game, handing a finals contender an easy win with the likes of St.Kilda and perhaps Port at the time hoping for a Tiger defeat to help them sneak in to the top-8.

I'd reckon the only real rivalries between the actual teams, rivalries where you might lift a notch, are the derby matches. Whether it is WCE and Freo or GWS and Sydney, regardless of how your travelling otherwise, there is always the opportunity to become king of the local turf and that gives you some personal fulfilment. There used to be more rivalries between Melbourne teams, but teams used to be more identifiable with socio-economic or political class which gave rivalry power. Catholic vs protestant, well-heeled vs working class - all gone now.

For most non-derby teams, rivalries are really just in the mind of the fans, and usually based some perceived wrong suffered in the past, or a pissing up the wall contest and these fade quickly over time. Fans are irrational, take umbrage at comments that actually have nothing to do with them and maintain an unbalanced view of how sports pan out. Most players were never fans of the clubs of they played for, and even if they were, that kind of goes out the window. Coaches wouldn't use the motivation that fans have, as it is just not that great a driver for professional sportspeople. For example, was listening to off-the-bench yesterday and Pickers was relating how growing up, he was a big fan of North, but as soon as he was drafted, that relationship changed and he wasn't really a fan anymore. But since he left direct involvement with the AFL, he has rediscovered being a fan again. I would think this is more the norm than the exception for all players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah timmy at it again, can't even do a title for his/her threads without it being nonsense, today and current day!

I worry about the future of our nation if this is the standard of writing and thinking in Year 7 at our schools ...... todays current day LOL

Tbh no one cares about “traditional” rivals outside the supporters of the clubs themselves.

I think the best rivalries for neutrals are when the playing groups genuinely don’t like each other. In recent years, hawthorn/Geelong and bulldogs/gws have been the best games to watch.

jimmy timmy burch GIF by South Park

Showdowns.

Last year's first Showdown was epic, it crashed Bigfooty.

Crashing Bigfooty after the siren is the unit measurement of a rivalry in the AFL.

Yes - But under that logic Adelaide-North Melbourne was a rivalry game (And for more than just the Wayne Carey in Adelaide years)

ps. I agree the Showdown is THE rivalry game of the AFL. But your logic is flawed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back