Preview Changes v Hawthorn at Launceston, Sat 1.45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Definitely feel like a Hawk bushwhack is coming. Their young midfield can match ours in the clearances. Need to force turnovers with our zone before they get pace on the game.

Last edited:
There is too much pessimism in this thread.
Sure, we might not yet be capable of 60+ point annihilations.
But let’s compare some stats from the season so far. We beat the Hawks for clearances: they win 2 for every 3 we win. Our offensive work is more effective than theirs: for every five we convert, they convert three. We’ve been playing a more effective, high pressure brand of footy, laying more tackles, more one percenters, more intercepts.
And most starkly, our ball movement across the ground, and our transition from offensive to defensive structures passes the eye test, unlike theirs.
It would take something pretty incredible for the hawks to win this.

Last edited:
Kingy just ripped their game plan a new a** hole on 360. Must have been 8 examples of them taking that corridor kick when it wasn’t even remotely on, leaving them completely exposed.

Will be interesting to see if they reign that in this week.
We gave them the blue print on what no to do in 2021-2022… then they go and do the exact same shit in 2023. Thats funny.

Definitely feel like a Hawk bushwhack is coming. Their young midfield can easily match ours. Need to force turnovers with our zone before they get pace on the game.
Their young midfield is no where close to ours. We have the 2nd best mid in the comp running round for us. We’ll smash em in the middle.

But let’s compare some stats from the season so far. We beat the Hawks for clearances: they win 2 for every 3 we win. Our offensive work is more effective than theirs: for every five we convert, they convert three. We’ve been playing a more effective, high pressure brand of footy, laying more tackles, more one percenters, more intercepts.
And most starkly, our ball movement across the ground, and our transition from offensive to defensive structures passes the eye test, unlike theirs.

We have trust issues….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been burnt too many times before. It's going to take a while before I feel confident in games where we should win on paper. I fully expect the Hawks to come out of the blocks with intensity.

Coach Emeritus Scamper
Resized_IMG951321.jpeg

and
Coach Sissy Rose:
Resized_20210507_204521.jpeg

both say the following...

Their young midfield is no where close to ours. We have the 2nd best mid in the comp running round for us. We’ll smash em in the middle.
They matched a very good Swans midfield just last week. The hawks issues lie in their ball movement and their other lines.

We should be fine, as much as hawthorn need this win, I think our structure and system will prevail.

Clarko will address the potential tag all will be good

Kingy just ripped their game plan a new a** hole on 360. Must have been 8 examples of them taking that corridor kick when it wasn’t even remotely on, leaving them completely exposed.

Will be interesting to see if they reign that in this week.

I never suggested we were younger than anyone. My main point was that throwing a bunch of names on a piece paper and calculating the average age isn’t a true reflection of the youth of the side and which age demographic are actually giving the most output.

In 12 months Ziebell, Goldstein, Hall, Greenwood, Shiels and Howe may not be on our list. If they were to be mostly gone, it’s not going to leave a massive hole to fill. In fact there probably won’t be any hole to fill as our talented young players develop and get more experience.

Compare that to Hawthorn losing Gunston, Mitchell, O’meara, Shiels, McEvoy, etc, it has clearly left a big hole. Not just with output on game day, but with leadership, experience, structures, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We lose the bolded players and that's a big hole in the side as it stands right now. Alot of what you say depends on how the guys below (age wise) Jy and LDU step up.

We lose the bolded players and that's a big hole in the side as it stands right now. Alot of what you say depends on how the guys below (age wise) Jy and LDU step up.

I don't think they are massive holes.

Clarko/Shiels are on record as saying he's likely going to step aside and back into the VFL at some point this season when guys like Wardlaw/Phillips are ready anyway.

When McKay is back, I think Corr begins to play the Ziebell role anyway.

Greenwood is a different case, but I genuinely could see Goater play that big inside mid role in 3-4 years for us.

We should be fine, as much as hawthorn need this win, I think our structure and system will prevail.

Clarko will address the potential tag all will be good
Our defensive zone lends itself to magnifying the Hawks problem with ball movement. Should be interesting as I am sure Mitchell will look at scoring from clearances to compensate.
Hawthorn are in the bottom 3 for contested ball stats.

Their stoppages clearance numbers are diabolical considering they are going alright at center clearances.
I know, but they were even for around the ground clearances last week. Just something to be wary of with a young team. Good chance to build some consistency and put other teams to the sword.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back