Review Round 3, 2023 - Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against the Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Bitterly disappointing performance again. The fact this is our 5th year in contention and we’re still suffering from the same problems of previous years, let alone regressed is deeply concerning. Yes we’ve got a good team, but as much I as hate to say it, without some change in the future, we don’t have the makings of a champion team…

Unfortunately, does not use the ball well enough out of the backline. You've got Willmot, Rich, Coleman and McKenna. Someone misses out, who?
Joyce wasn't terrible, we just need more run next week.

Wilmot looked like he was playing on a wing in a link-up role more than anything. I think Rayner just moves out of the backline. McKenna's run is good, especially if Rich comes back in.

Rayner goes forward or midfield and Linc goes out for me.

The way our forwards lead and all compete for the same ball clogging up the drop of the ball frustrates me to no end.

At one point Ashcroft had slipped into a hole about 45 out. Easy 15m kick for a shot at goal. One of our forwards led into that gap and dragged a dogs defender in. A single tear rolled down my face.
Gunston was meant to help this and you could see during his 3rd quarter what a smart leading forward he is. Unfortunately the rest continue to get in each others way.

great coaching comedy moment........subbing Darcy Fort out. Haha!

The thing I noticed with Eric quite often tonight, was he was usually behind his defender and spoiling or going up with one arm.

He never really got into a solid marking position. Then you have Daniher who is constantly going for the stupid marks 10 rows deep over defenders.

Gunston is solid for a hit up lead but lacks the pack marking ability of McStay.

Our forward line is suddenly quite inept and our midfield keeps lacking. Ironically it was our defense that was put under the microscope coming into this season and they've been our best.
We had posters saying Hipwood must be carrying an injury lol. I was thinking gee this bloke must have been carrying an injury his whole career. Can’t mark at all. Never seen a bloke who is so athletic, so tall and can actually jump a bit try… try the chest mark as much as this bloke. Like ffs you are taking all your natural strengths and throwing them away to take a chest mark that the ball bounces off majority of the time anyway. What a waste of talent. Club was scammed into signing him on for 6 years.

Unfortunately, does not use the ball well enough out of the backline. You've got Willmot, Rich, Coleman and McKenna. Someone misses out, who?
Joyce wasn't terrible, we just need more run next week.
Are u joking ?

When did McKenna not use it well by hand or foot ?

You surely can't have been watching this game.

Yeah agree with this. Such a talented yet soft/ lazy list. Feel a bit of that falls at the feet of our coaching staff too. Have a recent connection to one of our most senior players and he has mentioned just how much everyone loves Fagan and that the club is a fantastic place to be compared to previous years (pre Fagan). Can't help but feel it might just be a bit too comfortable?
Spot on. Players can show up and give performances like tonight and know they're a lock for the next game. There is absolutely no accountability for bad form.

And I think the coaching staff are scared to make the tough calls. It's no shame to admit recruiting Daniher was a mistake or admitting Hipwood is not the forward we all thought he would be. They need to cut their losses and move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

General feeling, i think we need to put some players in the 2s to get their hunger back. Bailey, Hipwood - head back. Linc was in a tagging role tonight (was pretty clear), but Bailey was doing dumb stuff like trying to outmuscle Bont. Rayner was poor, but most of the back line were great to be honest. Midfield got beaten up, with some shining moments, but once the ball got going there was no defensive run from the mids, it rested with Harris and crew. Forwards were dreadful.

Rayner was put up forward to try and salvage whatever was there mainly because he was probably the only other option to go with. He went perfectly fine when he was actually playing down back.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Darcy Fort to play as a key forward next week. Hipwood to have a run in the reserves for a while. Far more likely to take a mark or keep his feet then either Hipwood or Daniher. Obviously, he relieves Oscar in the ruck as well.

Also get Clugga out of the middle, put him back on the wing where he is an AA and just put Ashy where he belongs.

Stop this initiation of putting Ashcroft on the wing because he is new.

Last edited:
I have been saying this for 2 years........and what happens, we sign a washed up half forward.

Seriously, Joe's effort tonight was insulting to the great jumper that he wears. The guy should give it back and * off.
Joe had one flying shot for goal when he should have passed to Charlie.

Earlier on in the evening he tried to do the team thing by passing off and stuffed that up and he also missed two set shots he should have kicked

Errors in judgement in the heat of the moment and skill errors are not necessarily "selfish".

He's not the Lone Ranger in that regard. There is hardly a game go by in any given round of footy where a free player inside 50 feels hardly done by, by a team mate taking a pot shot at goal.....and missing.

You are always on Joe's case no matter what so it's difficult to take your constant carping about him seriously.

Give it a rest

Next week I'd like to see Hipwood out. Put either Rayner or Oscar to the forward line. Or Fort to be honest with them rotating to the ruck.

Bring in Ah Chee if fit for Linc. He is like the only payer who seems willing to properly play a team role.

Prior in for Bailey. Again Prior seems to at least work hard and honestly we need more size. Must be better than Bailey's zero awareness or tackling ability.

Dwv should be in and actually properly in the inside mid rotation. But I'm not sure who to drop for him .

Back