Review Round 11, 2023 - Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Can I have that Crystal ball you obviously have need the lotto numbers.

I think it’s reasonable to say that we’ll lose games after the bye? Don’t really need a crystal ball to say that.

Ever since we sacked 3KZs son we've been s**t.
True. He kicked 3 in the second quarter last week when we took him out of the middle and played him at Centre Half Forward.

Bailey finished with a team and tied game high 3 goal assists. He was pretty decent around the contests and very well could’ve gotten another 1-2 shots on goal from some high tackles/ducks.

Kicking 0.2 from situations where it should’ve been 2.0 was the frustrating part. By no means an embarrassment though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
His playing for frees was .
End of story
Also in his position ,running over the ball as much as he does maybe is a liability
It’s not his best attribute
Sure looks great when it comes off
Seems lately it happens too little and leaves the ball behind.
I agree he Is great in a chain of possessions,using his speed and has a pretty good short kick to find a player.

Frustrated more than anything tonight.
Something was off in the ruck 2nd qtr. Big-O and Joe didn’t get near it, midfield didn’t adjust. 3rd qtr all the missed goals - seems the boys moved away from looking for an unselfish option and were taking pings in the wet. Maybe an instruction for wet weather football… but better to hold possession, chip it around and find a mark. The long/high kicks in to Joe was a step back to early in the season.
Regardless, we played well enough to win (other than 2nd qtr). Paid marks for the crows vs non-paid marks for us was maddening. Hippy particularly - it’s only 1 decision, but crucial moment.

A week off, come out and play well against Hawthorn after the by to steady the ship.

Silver lining - all other contenders also lost other than Collingwood and Port.

I'm not buying the argument that we should have iced it in the 3rd quarter. The game was played in our half but lots of the behinds were looking for miracle shots or rushed. We just didn't take a step back and play with cohesion. Every thrust forward was a headless chook charge. They clogged it up and we kept slipping over or pushing it on to others in an impossible position. We tried to hard to bulldoze them instead of chip it around . They only had to get hold of it 2 or 3 times to punish us and their running forwards had room. The wet didn't help us but Keays picked it up first grab nearly every time , plus one or two others.

Fagan has to make the call on Gunston. We're not winning any flag with him in the forward half. Get someone in there who competes at AFL level. i.e Ah Chee ,Fort , a couple of others.

Likewise completely bamboozled at how Madden was sub. Never shown anything near half a dozen others , never shown much at all except the goal he kicked in his first game.

We're doing ok and haven't been belted except for the first game so let's get our structure right for the rest of the year.

Berry and Gunston out of this team for the next match. Can't be rewarded for that performance.
Berry has been on the nose for some time if you ask me. Not happy I stayed in to watch that crap. I take no comfort in the fact I tipped the Crows b/c we just dont win those matches and with the incentive of knowing we could go two games clear of 4th, we fluffed it, but as i said, I knew we'd lose. Freo, GWS and Port all showed ticker in their games and got the results. Not sure we couldn't.

As for the likes of Berry, he's lucky to play well in one in a half a dozen and is one of the densest players I can recall?? Keays again showed what a mistake it was to let him go. Berry doesnt hold a candle to Ben. Even Hugh had another average game.

Gunston has just not worked and is regressing and the plug should be pulled. Same with a few other older heads. We are going to lose some very talented kids who cant get a game by rolling with some of these older heads that arent going to get us a flag which is frustrating. As other have said, this game was kind of lost at the selection table, but thank god for the likes of Dunkley and Charlie who tried hard all and Zac was good.

Alos a bit over how pathetic we are in the game for a bye. Think we've only won once out of the past 4-5 pre-bye games. Obviosuly the players mentally check out knowing they have a break coming up. Gutted that we didnt go into this break 9-2 and instead now being 2 games off Pies, 1 off Port and really back in the pack. All up, a pretty typical and expected result. Also would have thought there was a good incentive to finish top 2 to get the armchair ride in the finals, but nope, not sure this team is capable of that and will no doubt fluff another goldern opportunity in 23 b/c again, theyve gotten ahead of themselves expecting to turn up like they did against Port in round 1.

Berry has been on the nose for some time if you ask me. Not happy I stayed in to watch that crap. I take no comfort in the fact I tipped the Crows b/c we just dont win those matches and with the incentive of knowing we could go two games clear of 4th, we fluffed it, but as i said, I knew we'd lose. Freo, GWS and Port all showed ticker in their games and got the results. Not sure we couldn't.

As for the likes of Berry, he's lucky to play well in one in a half a dozen and is one of the densest players I can recall?? Keays again showed what a mistake it was to let him go. Berry doesnt hold a candle to Ben. Even Hugh had another average game.

Gunston has just not worked and is regressing and the plug should be pulled. Same with a few other older heads. We are going to lose some very talented kids who cant get a game by rolling with some of these older heads that arent going to get us a flag which is frustrating. As other have said, this game was kind of lost at the selection table, but thank god for the likes of Dunkley and Charlie who tried hard all and Zac was good.

Alos a bit over how pathetic we are in the game for a bye. Think we've only won once out of the past 4-5 pre-bye games. Obviosuly the players mentally check out knowing they have a break coming up. Gutted that we didnt go into this break 9-2 and instead now being 2 games off Pies, 1 off Port and really back in the pack. All up, a pretty typical and expected result. Also would have thought there was a good incentive to finish top 2 to get the armchair ride in the finals, but nope, not sure this team is capable of that and will no doubt fluff another goldern opportunity in 23 b/c again, theyve gotten ahead of themselves expecting to turn up like they did against Port in round 1.
Bez is a real worry. He turned in that blinder game in the final last year and today wasn't remotely near 1/10th the output.

He seemed to be not prepared to go hard enough and we know that's not his form so I wonder whether he's right.

Golly gosh, oh wow-ee.

Someone took a triple dose of their Negativity pills this morning

Couldn’t agree more. Berry is Lyons on repeat last year. Clearly not right and didn’t seem like his heart was in it at all.

The gap between VFL and the top is huge, but Fagan really needs to start rewarding guys in the seconds to put pressure on the firsts.

Dev’s 21 tackles in the twos is unbelievable. Get him in. Berry can’t hold a jumper at the moment.

Agree with all on Gunston too. No way he should be out there. Offers no defensive pressure and he’s lost all agility.

Couldn’t agree more. Berry is Lyons on repeat last year. Clearly not right and didn’t seem like his heart was in it at all.

The gap between VFL and the top is huge, but Fagan really needs to start rewarding guys in the seconds to put pressure on the firsts.

Dev’s 21 tackles in the twos is unbelievable. Get him in. Berry can’t hold a jumper at the moment.

Agree with all on Gunston too. No way he should be out there. Offers no defensive pressure and he’s lost all agility.

:100:
If Berry is injured, give him some time off. Simple.

Looking for positives I thought Oscar tried his heart out.

Joe just got scragged and held every time he went near the ball so in the end started flying high from the back of the park with no hope of marking it but at least spilling the ball out , so he did have a think about things.

Coleman was one player who adapted to the conditions and we needed to use him more.

Charlie was excellent all night in trying to apply pressure.

Dunkley was Dunkley. Very consistent and smart player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking about this, I think the club needs to do a bit of advocacy on joes behalf behind closed doors.

I get umpires aren’t paying frees for him because of the history of dives but they have overcorrected to not paying anything.
He was held onto all night.

And thats our captain - embarrassing isnt it?
It was his worst ever game and to top it off he gave away an ill disciplined 50 that cost us a goal. He was horrible tonight.

It was his worst ever game and to top it off he gave away an ill disciplined 50 that cost us a goal. He was horrible tonight.
Whats worse is that evry year and conisisently, he has game like this every single year and its just beneath the surface. Captain's should be leading from the front, not displaying petulance which unfortunately is why I never rated Zorko as a captain.

Last edited:
Whats worse is that evry year and conisisently, he has game like this every single year and its just beneath the surface. Captain's shouldnt be leading from the front, not dispalying petulance which unfortunately is why I never rated Zorko as a captain.
Harris has been good all year. The fifty was a bit dumb but it wasn't a 50 imo.

Zorko seems to cop it from everyone on here but he really did try to lift us today when we were under the pump in the 2nd quarter. We all know it's his last year but he's the one older guy I'd keep because he can still tear it up when he's on.

i am going glass half full. We were right in it. We can win our next 5. Not as bad as last couple of mid-year tests

The inside 50s are. Bit deceptive as some junk repeat bomb entries, but we controlled the match for large periods.

We shanked some shots at goal.

The umps in a net sense got them probably 2 goals? The hipwood non-mark vs Thilthorpe ‘mark’ said it all. Then the 50 against Andrews to top it off.

We are poor at sub. What was Madden ever meant to do? I like his ceiling but he’s a hbf who hasn’t played seniors this year. And gets 15 minutes to what? Change the game from half back when we are 20 points down? Should have been Cockatoo on halfway through the third. Might have actually kicked a goal.

Gunston - wow. Was meant to be the converter. That was awful. 2 gilt-edged chances. So draining. Pet gags aside - does anyone think he is earning his spot? Play Fort. Hippy can be a flanker. Gunston does not deserve his spot. Simple.

Neale - it was so obvious he would be tagged. But we did nothing about it.

Andrews - had a shocker. Kept punching when could have marked.

Lester - some poor errors

Rich - WHY IS HE TAKING KICK-INS STILL?

Payne - please be okay

Berry - if he is not doing any inside mid, should he be playing over ah chee?

Clugga - regressed apart from a small patch including great goal

Hippy - just do more. And you can’t keep missing from 30m. Honestly he should just kick from 45m when he marks 30m out. Why not? He hits it so welp

Okay i’ll stop now glass nearly running out…

Harris has been good all year. The fifty was a bit dumb but it wasn't a 50 imo.

Zorko seems to cop it from everyone on here but he really did try to lift us today when we were under the pump in the 2nd quarter. We all know it's his last year but he's the one older guy I'd keep because he can still tear it up when he's on.
I m of the view that we should try using Zorko as a sub as Freo have done with Fyfe. Would be a very explosive sub - where it comes undone is when you need that utility type, that being said, I think we have the players in our team where you could still spin the magnets and adjust.

As for being Zorko's last year, I do hope he and Rich call it this year and dont go on one year to many and stop one of the many players in the reserves who should be getting games that arent

Yes he was very ordinary, but also wet conditions, not suited to the tall guys. Andrews has been pretty good for the majority of games.

It seems to me that you consider every KPD on our list as a threat to Lester, and have posted negative comments about Adams, Andrews, Payne, Gardiner and probably (if I check) Joyce. In my humble opinion Lester is what every strong team needs, reliable backup, and on most occasions will perform OK as a third tall defender, taking a third tall forward. He is never going to replace Andrews or Payne, taking the best and biggest forwards each game.

FWIW, I think Payne is a better CHB than fullback, Wilmot (at this stage) is better across the halfback line, and Dev and arguably Prior should be in the team more regularly than they are, and Clug is better on the wing, but I don't continuously post it.

At least Fages hasn't lost his sense of humour, ging us the comical scenes of Joe in the ruck. My favourite was when Joe leapt 10 feet into the air 3 meters away from the ruck contest.....Obrien just took the ball and ran off

comedy gold.

Back