Review Round 11, 2023 - Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing result. We played poorly but we really should of won if we kicked straight. Always more to learn and improve on at this point in he season. Truthfully I think we're the most talented list in the comp. Only we can beat us an we did that yesterday.

Won't be the first team to try this. If he does stay in the team, I think we just need to work on his positioning here a little bit. Seemed to get sucked up quite high so was always going to get burnt if it went the other way.

Not sure if it was King but there was vision of Rich exactly doing the same thing last year. It really is time to bite the bullet on Rich and give someone else a run. I thought the back 4 smalls of Coleman, Starcevich, McKenna and Wilmot worked perfectly fine. Gardiner is also too slow and when Payne comes back would rather he Lester and Andrews.

Not sure if it was King but there was vision of Rich exactly doing the same thing last year. It really is time to bite the bullet on Rich and give someone else a run. I thought the back 4 smalls of Coleman, Starcevich, McKenna and Wilmot worked perfectly fine. Gardiner is also too slow and when Payne comes back would rather he Lester and Andrews.

If we really do bite the bullet I hope we send Wilmot back and Sharp to the wing. Wilmot has played his best games down back and he doesn’t have nearly as much impact on the wing in comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There were 4 other teammates trailing their opponents in that transition
Funnily enough its Wilmot's man who kicked the goal. Because Wilmot left his man and tried to run to the goal score to help defend. His man got left free in the middle of nowhere. Not really a criticism of Wilmot he tried hard but got caught in no mans land between the forwards and couldnt help.

I’m generally happy with where we are at. 8-3 is great, we are a good football team.

Not surprised we lost in ADL - last 2 weeks have been solid wins, but things have started creeping in that I said would be an issue againts a better side- bombing it inside 50 (wasteful entries) and fluctuating pressure.

That was a finals like atmosphere on the road and we lost the game the same way as we have in the past, in those situations, lots of forward entries but just couldn’t think our way through it - then they kill us with the sling shot.

We’ve seen us lose this way over and over in big games since 2019.

16 more forward half turnovers!!!…. 16 times we re-loaded from inside the front half off a TO and we couldn’t capitalise to score with all those opportunities.

16 more inside 50’s, at one time in the third it was 48 to 26 inside 50s and we were even.

Stat line looks like a 40 point win.

Also felt we looked a bit flat, Crows running from all over the ground to get around players for spoils and tackles - just look to be missing just a bit of that pazzaz, been up for a long time.

Going well but we need to better than we are if we intend to be more than just be another finals also ran again in 2023.

Adelaide recorded a pressure factor of 204 (season high for Adelaide) according to the AFL app. Our H&A average last year was 179, and Sydney and Collingwood led the league averaging 186 (181 is the league average).

No idea what ours was, but you'd imagine it would be lower than our season average.

Adelaide recorded a pressure factor of 204 (season high for Adelaide) according to the AFL app. Our H&A average last year was 179, and Sydney and Collingwood led the league averaging 186 (181 is the league average).

No idea what ours was, but you'd imagine it would be lower than our season average.

When we were locking it inside 50 like in the third we matched them

They flashed it up a few times, it started slow but got right up there in the second half.

I feel like fans can’t exactly cover for poor play since they don’t exactly make any choices relating to it.

Negativity is exhausting so people just prefer to take some positives out of things and move on. We all want the team to succeed but it doesn’t mean you have to dedicate time or energy to talking down in the club.

I was ready to come on here spewing about the game but by the end of the game I was too tired from it and decided to not let it ruin my night. Don’t bash people because they don’t feel like bashing others.

Yeah, sorry. We had a lovely game of football and both teams had a super nice time.

There were calls made in pre season that rich wouldn’t be best 22 after the bye. Those calls got laughed at by poor posters who have this weird fetish with “get him a premiership” he’s been Lo¥al…

If Fagan is any kind of decent coach he will drop rich for good and play those four you’ve outlined above. The team is much better defensively and a lot more flexible. Drop Gardiner for Payne and we have a premiership winning backline.

If we keep playing plodders like rich and Gardiner winning a premiership will be much much harder.

Yeah I fully expect Hipwood to let us down in finals like he did last year.

yes, fair enough, i'm generally a supporter of erics......i'm just frustrated by our forwards not able to mark above their heads. what's the point in having talls in the forward line if none of them can mark.

I’m generally happy with where we are at. 8-3 is great, we are a good football team.

Not surprised we lost in ADL - last 2 weeks have been solid wins, but things have started creeping in that I said would be an issue againts a better side- bombing it inside 50 (wasteful entries) and fluctuating pressure.

That was a finals like atmosphere on the road and we lost the game the same way as we have in the past, in those situations, lots of forward entries but just couldn’t think our way through it - then they kill us with the sling shot.

We’ve seen us lose this way over and over in big games since 2019.

16 more forward half turnovers!!!…. 16 times we re-loaded from inside the front half off a TO and we couldn’t capitalise to score with all those opportunities.

16 more inside 50’s, at one time in the third it was 48 to 26 inside 50s and we were even.

Stat line looks like a 40 point win.

Also felt we looked a bit flat, Crows running from all over the ground to get around players for spoils and tackles - just look to be missing just a bit of that pazzaz, been up for a long time.

Going well but we need to better than we are if we intend to be more than just be another finals also ran again in 2023.
Lacking mental fortitude. The opposition crowd, opposition pressure building, the big moments where you need a leader to stand up and steady the ship. We just don’t have that. Our blokes melt. Starts as a miskick, a poor handball, rich or Neale not running back hard enough to block an opposition outlet, next thing the whole team has become C grader doing all the wrong things. Skills drop off. We get it forward and become selfish footballers pinging at goals from all angles.

The big moments. Just can’t handle it. It’s too much.

Obviously we were doing our best to try and win the game but I think our defenders were sucked in too close to the contest on many occasions last night because their forwards were pushing right up.
But it exposed us badly on the rebound with a lack of speed in the team last night.
We really missed Payne last night and Rich other than those 2 really badly missed kicks he wasn’t too bad offensively but the defensive aspects of his game are falling away badly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My brother in christ Joe was being held the entire time at almost every contest, what do you want him to do.

Where have you been the last 5-6 weeks when he’s been the most in form forward of the competition playing as a backup ruck?

I’m still not convinced that this isn’t Tom Fullarton’s burner account or something

The guy just can't catch the fricken ball. One spekky every 2 weeks isn't good enough. He can't stand under the ball, hold his position and take a mark. He's ridiculously good when the ball hits the ground but we've got Charlie, Linc and rat to do that........We need a key marking forward/ruck not another ground level player who can't ruck.

Ps, I'm not Tom Fullarton but I can't help thinking how much better our team would be with Darcy Fort playing instead of Joe

The guy just can't catch the fricken ball. One spekky every 2 weeks isn't good enough. He can't stand under the ball, hold his position and take a mark. He's ridiculously good when the ball hits the ground but we've got Charlie, Linc and rat to do that........We need a key marking forward/ruck not another ground level player who can't ruck.

Ps, I'm not Tom Fullarton but I can't help thinking how much better our team would be with Darcy Fort playing instead of Joe
he is tied equal fourth currently for marks taken inside 50

There were calls made in pre season that rich wouldn’t be best 22 after the bye. Those calls got laughed at by poor posters who have this weird fetish with “get him a premiership” he’s been Lo¥al…

If Fagan is any kind of decent coach he will drop rich for good and play those four you’ve outlined above. The team is much better defensively and a lot more flexible. Drop Gardiner for Payne and we have a premiership winning backline.

If we keep playing plodders like rich and Gardiner winning a premiership will be much much harder.

That would have been conditional on Rich getting his body right but he hasn't played 3 full games in a row yet

You can't really make excuses for the weather and teams have to adapt but I've no doubt had it been dry we would've won.

Some of our set shots skewed with the slippery ball. With all the ball we had it would have bounced out of congestion more often on a dry day and given our small forwards a better chance.

They adapted brilliantly with one touch grabs from Keays ,Sligo ,Rankin , and Rochelle. They were able to take contested marks up forward because we didn't scrag like their backs scragged.

It's no real excuse but just a shame it was wet. We also seemed to slip over a lot more often than they did.

he is tied equal fourth currently for marks taken inside 50
what about overhead/ contested marks? you've got to take into account that Joe is the spearhead of the second best team in the comp. I just can't remember him taking good, solid, strong overhead marks. it's either a ridiculous attempt for mark of the year, a silly fake for a free kick or he just doesn't even make the contest.
Don't get me wrong, he's so talented and his best is insane but his average is really poor.

Last edited:
what about overhead/ contested marks? you've got to take into account that Joe is the spearhead of the second best team in the comp
His overhead marking has been good this year.

Let's face it he's given us enormous drive all over the ground this year . He's also one of the best forwards in the comp. Clearly one of our best 5 players who also takes the opposition's best defender.

That would have been conditional on Rich getting his body right but he hasn't played 3 full games in a row yet
Conditional? Right lol. Mate that’s already baked into the equation. He’s old and “bigger bodied”. It’s an expectation he’d be out injured or lacking condition to string together consistent footy. Same as Zorko and probably same as Gunston by end of year.

Won't be the first team to try this. If he does stay in the team, I think we just need to work on his positioning here a little bit. Seemed to get sucked up quite high so was always going to get burnt if it went the other way.

Watching the game it felt like Richy was getting some cheapies out the back. I'm sure that was the instruction but you could see it hurting going the other way if/when Adelaide got the ball.

Conditional? Right lol. Mate that’s already baked into the equation. He’s old and “bigger bodied”. It’s an expectation he’d be out injured or lacking condition to string together consistent footy. Same as Zorko and probably same as Gunston by end of year.

Well I can tell you that most who thought he'd still be best 22 at the bye would've expected him to have played out more than 2 games in a row

It was a frustrating game to watch for a few reasons. I don't think our boys were at their best. That's fine and it happens but it can be frustrating. What made me most frustrated was the umpiring though. It certainly felt like they got every 50/50 call while we got none or next to none. Our forwards were constantly scragged, grabbed and chopped but again, we got nothing. When it happened the other way, on-marks were called marks etc. We got a heap of high hits that went unrewarded in our forward half. There were at least 2 umpire non-calls (Hipwoods mark was one of them and I'm struggling to remember the other one that really stood out, did Gunston have the same thing happen?) resulted in the ball being taken down the other end for a 12 point play. In a game won by 17 points those things really make a difference.

The crows for their part took advantage of just about everything and were kicking brilliant goals out of their ass. In the end a 1.9 quarter is always going to cost you but my frustration is, as I said on the game day thread. That is going to be the story of the game, not how our forwards were treated by oppo players and umpires or how many gifts Adelaide got etc.

Payne was a huge out, he is so much more athletic than our other talls aside from Adams, who by all reports is not coming back. Without him the lack of speed with our talls probably gets a bit more exposed. Gardiner was solid enough but I can't say I think he did a heap either. Andrews is always a smart footballer, I think a few of our guys could learn off him how to accept you're going to be tackled without prior and accept the ball up rather than giving away a free or handballing to the oppo etc.

Coleman was really solid, had one of his best games I thought. He was really clean and outside of his howler was probably our best defender. I just don't think Rich is it anymore. I don't believe his kicking/attack outweighs his negatives defensively anymore. It's hard to do an apples to apples comparison with Payne out but except for getting cheapies (and still using it quite well it must be said) out the back, I don't think he did much to write home about. I am confident Kiddy can execute a similar role if given the license but can still be accountable defensively.

I agree with the posters who are saying to push Clugg back to the wing. Him and Berry on the wings with Sharp as the rotation makes the most sense IMO. Motty is playing his best footy as a defender and continues to give us the ability in the backline to break lines. With Clugg back on the outside I would be having Dev bought into the inside, playing the defensive role when Dunks is off the ground and as a defensive forward at times.

Gunston has to go. It isn't working. I think we all see that. Rayner could easily take his role without his shortcomings defensively. It would allow us to bring in a Lohmann or Ah Chee etc to play that pressure forward. If we have decided that we need 3 tall forwards for the marking presence then Rayner is going to offer us more than Hippy or Gunston at this point. It has the added benefit of giving Rayner just a bit more room to work when the ball hits the ground and he wants to break some tackles.

O is not a great ruckman, we know that and I don't think we play like he is either. I believe our midfield works well with him but he is prone to going the big punch or handball to no one in particular. If he is going to do that (which I like) he needs to communicate it better to the team or pin point where he is putting it better.

I thought Bails was pretty solid, he didn't have a great night but he worked hard, was involved and did some good things. Charlie was Charlie, Zorko is still good enough to be in our first 22 90% of the time, his ball use is still great and he is still quick enough. Not sure why some are slagging him off or saying he should be the sub.

Back