Review Round 11, 2023 - Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That was a calamitous affair. I felt like I should turn the commentary of and play the music from the old slapstick comedies!

And did someone steal Brownie's stapler when he left? It feels like every time he commentates he's barracking for the other side.

Credit to Crows tonight, they stifled our midfield, smothered our forwards and were too quick for our defence.

Can we please be done with Gunston now? And I think as hard as it is to say, Rich too.

Finally, I know it made no difference overall, but watching Kiddy stand in the square and make no attempt to get to the line and spoil that goal was plain embarrassing.

Hopefully a refresh and reset and we come out ready for the run to the finals.

Just a question
Did you not think our long kicks to inside 50 were good enough ?
For mind that part of our game was disappointing
I put it down to poor running or presenting to the kicker.
Just need a little better balance imo

It wasn’t the best. I think poor presenting plays a part. We brought Gunston in to play the leading forward and he didn’t beat anyone off the lead today.

Otherwise, I consider it part of wet weather footy. Get it inside and lock it down for repeat entries or stoppages. I also think it worked. We had a lot of bloody good opportunities and should have been up by 2+ goals at the break. Inability to convert will always give the opponent an opportunity to score on the counter. Adelaide rarely made it out without a repeat entry but if you give them enough attempted they will go coast to coast.

I’m our last two home games we didn’t have the strongest start but dominated the inside fifty count. Eventually we went on a run where we converted in front of goal and won. We had a similar version of events today (bar a terrible second with poor kicking skills) but failed to convert like before.

This is hardly how I felt last year both games against Melbourne. I feel we had control of the game but just never capitalised. It’s not like we struggled to put up shots in a congested forward line either, just failed to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I watched Fagan’s presser and I think he was under the impression that we won. He was very proud of our statistical returns. Apparently our numbers would win most games, just not this one it seems. We may need a new coach if we are going to go to the next level. Finishing Top 4 is great, but to give ourselves the best possible shot at a flag, we need to finish Top 2. The big question - is Fagan up to it? Is he ruthless enough?

Joe is equal fourth in the Coleman.
at the end of the year he'll be 7th and we'll be knocked out of the finals after he disappears......again.

Let's face it Joe plays great for a quarter, but you can't build a season on that.
Just look at tonight. Matched up against a guy who's inexperienced and undersized and underweight Joe just couldn't mark above his head.

Playing full back in the reserves might wake him up a bit

at the end of the year he'll be 7th and we'll be knocked out of the finals after he disappears......again.

Let's face it Joe plays great for a quarter, but you can't build a season on that.
Just look at tonight. Matched up against a guy who's inexperienced and undersized and underweight Joe just couldn't mark above his head.

Jeez I'd happily take a 7th place finish in the Coleman for Daniher. It would be a better return from a KPF since Jonathan Brown in 2010. It would also indicate he's built his season on more than playing just one good quarter per game.

Of the three marking forwards, Daniher is the one I'm least worried about at the moment

Was at the game this afternoon and don’t think too much should be taken from it imo. Was a complete scrap with poor skills on both sides, we should’ve made more of our dominance when we had it however 8 games out of 10 we’re really efficient with our scoring so not going to get too worried about that.

Not sure what it looked like on tv but at the ground our back 6 didn’t look as rock solid as they have previously, also felt as though their mids were right on top for a lot of the game (no stats to back that up).

Berry had a poor game but jeez he does a lot of running both ways, were a number of times he covered either in the air or by taking space when running back defensively.

Also just want to throw in that the 50 against Andrews was absolute rubbish. Was watching Fogarty hit, shove and rag doll Andrews for the 10 seconds before that right in front of the umpire and nothing was paid. Dumb by Andrews to swing his arm but honestly don’t know what else anyone would expect him to do.

Unfortunately Rich really does look like a bit of a liability defensively and the offence just isn’t good enough to make up for it.

Think McCarthy is very borderline best 22 as well, people have always said he does a lot of the unrewarded stuff but watching him today just felt the same as watching him on tv. Doesn’t do any more or less of the defensive stuff as anyone else and goes absolutely missing for large chunks of the game.

Having said all that take it with a massive grain of salt as this is the first game I’ve watched live in a couple seasons and have no doubt missed a lot.

I don't know how we've filled 8 pages on that game. Such a non-event.

We were fumbly, a bit off, and our accuracy was shocking.

Yet we still gave ourselves more than enough chances to win against a difficult opponent at a very difficult venue.

Pretty fine, all in all. No harm done. Every premiership side loses games. Most of them have a handful of losses that look very similar to that one, too.

7 strong wins in a row. More than enough brownie points in the bank to cover for today.

Not losing even a shred of sleep over a loss like that.

I watched Fagan’s presser and I think he was under the impression that we won. He was very proud of our statistical returns. Apparently our numbers would win most games, just not this one it seems. We may need a new coach if we are going to go to the next level. Finishing Top 4 is great, but to give ourselves the best possible shot at a flag, we need to finish Top 2. The big question - is Fagan up to it? Is he ruthless enough?
I feel as though it is top two or bust for this group. We are pretty unstoppable at the Gabba and it would be an armchair ride to the GF. Anything less and it aint happening. I am with you that a lot really depends on whether Fagan is serious and stops playing guys that are past it or get shown up againt quicker and fitter opponents - looking at Rich and Gunston and would only play Zorko as a sub. Personally and unfortunately, I think Fagan gambles this window and 2023 on going with these guys b/c of his loyalty. I reckon it will be to our detriment. Time will tell and hope I'm proven wrong.

I m of the view that we should try using Zorko as a sub as Freo have done with Fyfe. Would be a very explosive sub - where it comes undone is when you need that utility type, that being said, I think we have the players in our team where you could still spin the magnets and adjust.

As for being Zorko's last year, I do hope he and Rich call it this year and dont go on one year to many and stop one of the many players in the reserves who should be getting games that arent

I don’t hate this idea. Don’t know if you follow rugby, but Taniela Tupou is probably the best prop in the world, and yet he often starts on the bench for the wallabies. Why? Because he’s so damn explosive that he breaks the game apart whenever you bring him on.

Zorko is the type of player that would excel in that exact role, as you said Fyfe has been doing for Freo as well.

My brother in christ Joe was being held the entire time at almost every contest, what do you want him to do.

Where have you been the last 5-6 weeks when he’s been the most in form forward of the competition playing as a backup ruck?

I’m still not convinced that this isn’t Tom Fullarton’s burner account or something

Effort was there but 1.9 in a quarter would drain the life out of any group. It was there for us to win but didn't come together in the end.

Payne marking the high ball assurance is needed for Andrews. Once he was asked to run around and float across all talls, it fell apart quickly for him. Gardiner played a decent game and kept Tex quiet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worst game I have seen Berry play. We missed Payne badly. Thought we played ok but got beaten in the midfield most of the night. Take the bye and rest up and re charge for second half of season. We have had a decent season so far - most teams are struggling to win more than a few games in a row.

Also no more Daniel Rich kicking in. Kiddy gets that role full time for me.

View attachment 1699453

Interesting caption from AFL media. Armchop?

Don't think this was the one where he almost had his nose broken

Curnow would have kicked about 10 yesterday with the number of frees he would have gotten in front of goal.

As I said, you’d hope the club is privately advocating for Joe because no forward in the comp would be able to compete with the way he was played by the inexperienced crowd defenders yesterday. They were fumbling around struggling to contain Joe but were getting away with it.

Curnow would have kicked about 10 yesterday with the number of frees he would have gotten in front of goal.

As I said, you’d hope the club is privately advocating for Joe because no forward in the comp would be able to compete with the way he was played by the inexperienced crowd defenders yesterday. They were fumbling around struggling to contain Joe but were getting away with it.

People: BUT JOE DIVES SO DOESN'T GET FREE KICKS

reality: Joe wouldn't even be tempted to try and exaggerate a free kick if the ones there were paid.

We totally had that game in our hands (or more precicely feet) and heads but stuffed it up.

That being said the following thought popped into my mind ... imagine if you will someone puts a geas on the entire umpiring fraternity which had the effect that any time a decision was made that the umpire knew was wrong (so not the oops ones but the ones where they perform the mental tasks the fans ascribe to them a la cheating, bias, supporting one team etc) or chose not to make when they knew it should have been made that they have some kind of 60 second crippling pain in the stomach or head or something that would cause them to be unable to function obviously for that period (and then they would be fine) and it was announced publically that such had been done (so the umpires and the crowd both know about it) whether we would be 'pleasently' surprised that it was all incompetence or we would rapidly see an adjustment to a more balanced sytem of umpiring ...

And yes I do have a strange brain sometimes ;)
Have you ever read The Jennifer Morgue by Charlie Stross by any chance?

Won't be the first team to try this. If he does stay in the team, I think we just need to work on his positioning here a little bit. Seemed to get sucked up quite high so was always going to get burnt if it went the other way.

He was up high and at the back of stoppages all night, perhaps to capitalise on the advantage we had in the midfield and to try and lock the ball in. So if that fails of course there will be instances where he is beetem by a faster player. Playing him further back is pretty meaningless when teams get out like in the vision shown.

Won't be the first team to try this. If he does stay in the team, I think we just need to work on his positioning here a little bit. Seemed to get sucked up quite high so was always going to get burnt if it went the other way.

There were 4 other teammates trailing their opponents in that transition

He was up high and at the back of stoppages all night, perhaps to capitalise on the advantage we had in the midfield and to try and lock the ball in. So if that fails of course there will be instances where he is beetem by a faster player. Playing him further back is pretty meaningless when teams get out like in the vision shown.

Wonder if instead of having Wilmot free at the contest and Rich further back we'd consider switching them if in the same position again

Rich had 5 clearances which was handy

Also just want to throw in that the 50 against Andrews was absolute rubbish. Was watching Fogarty hit, shove and rag doll Andrews for the 10 seconds before that right in front of the umpire and nothing was paid. Dumb by Andrews to swing his arm but honestly don’t know what else anyone would expect him to do.

I am a bit biased from former umpiring endeavours but he really should have done nothing. It is a stupid retaliation and you never win. It’s fake tough s**t that costs you. Honestly would prefer he takes a half dive if he actually got hurt in any way. Just bend over and clutch at the stomach. You don’t have to take that s**t from an opponent and you certainly don’t have to give it back in some sort of retributive way.

Back