Autopsy Round 13 = Melbourne 66-62 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think Darcy Cameron should be our #1 ruck.

To 2 top 4 Teams and in Both Games we Outplayed Badly.

We where Average even against Eagles and Noryh

We will learn from this Dave. Plus so many of our best out. Better to have this loss now than later on the year.

We will be different come September. Bye has come at a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not just the boys who had down day but the coaching staff did too. They had no answers to Melbourne throwing everything at us in all parts of the game

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
Absolutely needed to change the pace after Melbourne took control.

Also, a lot of tired looking players, yet the policy was not to rest players against the Weagles. Not sure that was smart. By all means, say we don't rest players, but find another way to give the older guys a rest and manage the travel.

Could we play any Worse?

We look like Pretenders not Contenders
You have to lighten up mate.

This side has built up so much goodwill we can’t turn on them at the first sign of trouble.

No doubt we looked second best today, but I have complete faith we’ll be back bigger and better.

The definition of a loss we had to have.

We’d been off for a while now, but this is the first time it’s actually cost us. Hopefully the bye gives everyone a bit of a rest, and we can make some necessary adjustments.

Hate the Saying the Loss we Needed

Beaten up in the middle, and they had a plan to curtail our rebound which worked. They pressured the ball carrier and the players within the next 10m radius too.
Not sure how we tackle this next time but you can’t kick long either - maybe looks for more shorter wide exit kicks then run forward.
When we had our chances to get them on the counter attack we stuffed them up but regardless they should have been further in front. We don’t lose by much when we do but I wouldn’t hang out hat on it only being less than a goal today either.

This was a great game also against good oppo to work out how to optimise our lineup - Frampton/Johnson might make us too tall against sides like this around the ground, despite their strength of rucks/big defenders.

A good first half of the year, need to recharge and hit back straight away.

Probably the loss we needed to have, not to say it wasn't frustrating.

Too often we just seemed to hanf it to them on a platter, poor execution going out of defence, poor execution going forward, just horrible turnovers by players you wouldn't expect.

Bizarre coaching at times as well, late in the game Cox is on the bench, why not have him resting forward? Would've provided a better target than WHE. You noticed the difference between him and Cameron in the ruck in the dying minutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We played pretty crap, lost by 4 points, should have been more, guess what, we are on top of the ladder, we are definitely not pretenders.
PS. I think today showed why we recruited McStay, if he can create the contest he has to play, our fwd line got killed but at least we know it will look different next time we play them

Melbourne dominated that game for all but the first 10 minutes of the first quarter. They played great and beat us at our own game

It's certainly not the end of the world, but we want to ensure that we get the next one after the bye

AJ needs to be dropped for all big games, he was non existent in the finals last year and constantly goes missing when it counts. Not singling him out, as a lot of players were down today, but I've been thinking this for a while

Melbourne dominated that game for all but the first 10 minutes of the first quarter. They played great and beat us at our own game
It's certainly not the end of the world, but we want to ensure that we get the next one after the bye

AJ needs to be dropped for all big games, he was non existent in the finals last year and constantly goes missing when it counts. Not singling him out, as a lot of players were down today, but I've been thinking this for a while

AJ kicked 2 against Geelong in the qualifying final. Chill.

Embarrassing losing to this mob. This one was on us, their bad kicking is circumstantial every opposite result changes the course of the game so don’t buy into it

We were just poor especially was done key plays, to cute at times and wrong decisions streaming forward

In

Krueger
Elliott
McStay

Out

Harrison ( unlucky )
Cameron ( team balance )
McInnes

We’ve been struggling to play more than two good quarters a game for most of the season, so a loss was inevitable. We over-used the handball, ran ourselves into trouble and didn’t execute an effective plan to deliver the ball inside F50.

Hopefully today’s loss purges any complacency and sharpens our focus.

Reef McInnes simply isn’t up to it. He has now played about 10 games and shown next to nothing. Doesn’t have the tank or speed to play midfield and doesn’t have the combativeness or instincts to play forward. I hope to not see him again at AFL level this season.

Great to see IQ back in form. I thought he was best on for us today. Mitchell and Crisp huge too. Not many others put in a four-quarter performance. Naicos OK but below his usual lofty standards. Harrison showed a bit - enough to keep his spot.

I’m not convinced about playing two rucks. I think Cox is by far the better player and goes better when he has to do the bulk of the work. Frampton and McStay to pinch-hit when he needs a rest.

OUT McInnes Cameron Markov
IN Elliott McStay Ginnivan

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back