Review Round 11 = Fremantle 75-75 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is the ump bashing still going?!?
Ffs it didn’t cost us the game.

I really don’t understand the “let’s blame the umps instead of the players” mentality.

Over the course of a full game….umpires will never decide the outcome. Never.

The whole “spirit of the game” and “common sense” is ludicrous. Game has rules. Apply them. If you’re going to have a go at anyone, blame the AFL for having a game with the most complex, difficult to adjudge and liberal “rules” you can get….like how it’s just accepted that finals are umpired differently to regular season. wtf is that?!?

Rant over. Congrats on getting this far! :)
And everyone always focuses on the last questionable decision of the day like it was the difference. How many times did we hear the chorus of whinging about the advantage call in the GF. Rankine running too far. Pendles kick to the boundary against Carlton. I’m more concerned we were 25 points up with 8 minutes to go and couldn’t get the 4 points. Very unCollingwood of the past 3 years

And everyone always focuses on the last questionable decision of the day like it was the difference. How many times did we hear the chorus of whinging about the advantage call in the GF. Rankine running too far. Pendles kick to the boundary against Carlton. I’m more concerned we were 25 points up with 8 minutes to go and couldn’t get the 4 points. Very unCollingwood of the past 3 years
I think injuries simply got the better of us. We were trying to plaster over too many holes, off a 6 day break with a team half-full of children

Why is the ump bashing still going?!?
Ffs it didn’t cost us the game.

I really don’t understand the “let’s blame the umps instead of the players” mentality.

Over the course of a full game….umpires will never decide the outcome. Never.

The whole “spirit of the game” and “common sense” is ludicrous. Game has rules. Apply them. If you’re going to have a go at anyone, blame the AFL for having a game with the most complex, difficult to adjudge and liberal “rules” you can get….like how it’s just accepted that finals are umpired differently to regular season. wtf is that?!?

Rant over. Congrats on getting this far! :)
This is nothing. Wait until he umpires the next time against us. I predicting a lot of booing.

Poor kicking for goals cost us dearly

I think injuries simply got the better of us. We were trying to plaster over too many holes, off a 6 day break with a team half-full of children
The injuries within the game were a big problem. We lacked targets to kick to and lost quite a bit of structure with Mihocek and Cox out. That was on top of not playing a second forward target in the first place - this may have been a mistake, especially with how things played out. Very tough to hold on from that point.

I’m not sure why we are complaining about what happened, the rule is the issue. It’s meant to stop time wasting, the umpire had blown time off, so no chance of any time coming off the clock. Sullivan wasn’t being a D!ck just trying to get into position, Nick was already in position so he flicked it to him.

This has zero impact on the game but the umpires call did, tighten up the rule because umpires can be d!cos when they want to be.

That's what everyone has an the issue with, that the clock was stopped anyway, so how can a player be wasting time?
The precious little umpire paid a free kick because he was getting annoyed, that apparently our players, weren't handing him the ball directly when a ball up was called, and we were leaving it on the ground re: his annoyance at Sidey, so he got spiteful and basically paid a free kick once he saw an opportunity too, costing us 2 premiership points.
There us no rule to say players can't leave the ball on the ground once a ball up us called, and if Nicholls was annoyed why didn't he warn Sidey to hand the ball directly to him next time. He didn't warn Sidey because the rules in that situation allow the player to leave the ball on the ground. But it annoyed him, so he took it out on us the next opportunity he had.
We basically had an umpire officiating a game and making a decision on emotion, because he was annoyed, and not thinking about the situation of the game, that the clock was stopped, so no time lost, l should just warn them which should have happened....Absolutely ridiculous....

I don't agree that Nicholls doesn't deserve criticism, but I do very much agree with the emboldened
Umps make mistakes like anyone.
He didn’t actually make a mistake. He just was “more strict” on the rule….which is the issue.

Holding them to a higher standard than our players is the core of what I was on about.

As an aside…why is no one calling out the ump for letting Beau run 30+ without a bounce which resulted in Richard’s goal?

Or do we only call it out when it’s against us?!?

Which is why the pathetic block of 2018 GF does my head in.

How about Langdon push it through in the first?l and they most likely don’t score a goal at all.
Or Taylor take the easy wide option instead of hitting the umpire up in the middle!!

Does my head in.

This is nothing. Wait until he umpires the next time against us. I predicting a lot of booing.
That’s all pantomime as far as I’m concerned.

it’s frustrating that supporters immediately blame umps.

Maybe it’s just footy imitating life.
hell….its never my kids fault for anything!! They are teflon!

That's what everyone has an the issue with, that the clock was stopped anyway, so how can a player be wasting time?
The precious little umpire paid a free kick because he was getting annoyed, that apparently our players, weren't handing him the ball directly when a ball up was called, and we were leaving it on the ground re: his annoyance at Sidey, so he got spiteful and basically paid a free kick once he saw an opportunity too, costing us 2 premiership points.
There us no rule to say players can't leave the ball on the ground once a ball up us called, and if Nicholls was annoyed why didn't he warn Sidey to hand the ball directly to him next time. He didn't warn Sidey because the rules in that situation allow the player to leave the ball on the ground. But it annoyed him, so he took it out on us the next opportunity he had.
We basically had an umpire officiating a game and making a decision on emotion, because he was annoyed, and not thinking about the situation of the game, that the clock was stopped, so no time lost, l should just warn them which should have happened....Absolutely ridiculous....
Why should an umpire, who is the to ensure the rules or the game are applied, consider the situation of the game?

That comment there….where we expect the game to be umpired to different rules at different moments of the game…:is the problem.

I’m not sure why we are complaining about what happened, the rule is the issue. It’s meant to stop time wasting, the umpire had blown time off, so no chance of any time coming off the clock. Sullivan wasn’t being a D!ck just trying to get into position, Nick was already in position so he flicked it to him.

This has zero impact on the game but the umpires call did, tighten up the rule because umpires can be d!cos when they want to be.
Would we even be talking about this if it was at the other end?

Rules should be clear when they can be.
This is one of them.

Put it on the ground or give it straight back.

That’s all pantomime as far as I’m concerned.

it’s frustrating that supporters immediately blame umps.

Maybe it’s just footy imitating life.
hell….its never my kids fault for anything!! They are teflon!
I blame the umpire for giving a ridiculous free kick.
Did it cost us the game?
Probably not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I blame the umpire for giving a ridiculous free kick.
Did it cost us the game?
Probably not.
It did & it didn't.
If Brodie and/or Cox were still playing, no.
And, of course, there's a zillion other factors.
BUT Nicholls arrogantly imposing himself on the game at point-blank range was crucial, and entirely unnecessary.

It did & it didn't.
If Brodie and/or Cox were still playing, no.
And, of course, there's a zillion other factors.
BUT Nicholls arrogantly imposing himself on the game at point-blank range was crucial, and entirely unnecessary.
It gave them momentum at a crucial time whilst we were out on our feet exhausted with more injuries (Cox, Checkers, Pendles with a useless arm) & new kids never having been in that situation before.

Thankful we held on for a draw, because we'd really have something to whine about if we'd lost.

Why should an umpire, who is the to ensure the rules or the game are applied, consider the situation of the game?

That comment there….where we expect the game to be umpired to different rules at different moments of the game…:is the problem.

We didn’t draw Friday night’s game because of the umpires. We drew it because of dozens of mistakes made by our own players - which we’ll learn from.

And that’s a good thing, because we can learn from and control our own behaviours. We can’t change a thing about the umpires apart from what the media have done for us already. (You seriously reckon Nichols would have got a call from the umpire’s boss saying “Good call - I want you to look out for those every week!”??)

The club has moved on. They’re not going to waste a modicum of energy on this (have you not seen Fly’s presser?)

Last edited:
We didn’t draw Friday night’s game because of the umpires. We drew it because of dozens of mistakes made by our own players - which we’ll learn from.

And that’s a good thing, because we can learn from and control our own behaviours. We can’t change a thing about the umpires about from what the media have done for us already. (You seriously reckon Nichols would have got a call from the umpire’s boss saying “Good call - I want you to look out for those every week!”??)

The club has moved on. They’re not going to waste a modicum of energy on this (have you not seen Fly’s presser?)
What others are doing is neither here nor there for me.
This thread is about this game, & I'm still ticked about Nicholls' part in it.
Anyone that wants to move on, can go off to another thread whenever they're ready.

You don't have mind reading powers. You can;t possibly know that.
Your conjecture is absolutely ridiculous.

**** the AFL and their little rat maggot protected species. Hope supporters give that Bald rat Nicholls heaps for the rest of the year.
Happy to him terrorised for the rest of his life.
Useless campaigner no upside just end him.

Being at the game on Friday night you could easily see in the last 5mins we were COOKED. Blokes were 5m behind their player in most contests - I said to the guys near us we will be lucky to hang on here. We needed to go full Draper mode and just flop on the ball and wait for the ump to pay a decision…

Considering the players out and injured during the game a draw alas was a decent result.
Epically on there home ground.
We move on to next week Harrison looks a likely player and also Richards.
Every cloud has a silver lining.
Go Pies.

Best thing to come out of the last 4 weeks is the evolution of the team. Some of these kids like Harrison and Richards might now best 22.

Sullivan was terrific in the contest in last quarter. His tackling and contested ball winning was elite.
Yep, all 3 have shown plenty.
We're suffering through not having the flexibility that Howe & Hyphen offer, & of course, no McStay has put too much pressure on Brodie M.

Last edited:
Did anyone see the clip of the Hawk's player handing the ball to Sicily who then handed it to the ump who accepted it and bounced the ball? Given the furor over the Sullivan free it was hilarious to see it enacted the next day! And nothing was said nor was there a whistle blown. Farcical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back