Toast Round 18 = Collingwood 113-67 Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

The great, Nick and Josh Daicos, Degoey, The Peoples Moustache, every time Bruz tackled, brutal.

The bad, Triple M commentary, i was taking my son to the football, so i go in a bit late and was listening to the game on Triple M, BT, JB and the other stoogies, man can they stop yelling/talking over each other and actually keep commentating the game, it's like listening to a group of drunken idiots at the football trying to commentate from the crowd, absolutely ******* horrible, i had no idea what the hell was going on.

They weren't sling tackles, he'll be fine.
Most of those who have been suspended this year didn't deserve to be, imo..and many of those weren't sling tackles either. I'm not at all confident about what the MRO/Tribunal determines is worthy of a suspension.

Apparently people think you’re not allowed to tackle hard anymore 🙄
Not people. I don't think that. But I'm not the MRO. If you're not confused about most of the suspensions this year, I don't know where you've been. Every week at least one player gets suspended for a tackle that the overwhelming majority think is just a part of footy. Yet they're still getting suspended.

Last edited:
What did he say that was a personal sledge toward Port?

He simply stated a fact that wouldn't require a rocket surgeon to figure out.
Settle down. I didn't say anything about a personal sledge. I just hope it doesn't fire them up, like these types of things fire us up.

Rocket surgeon? 😆

They were good honest and very brutal tackles, they should be celebrated, no one was hurt (maybe egos) and more importantly, there was no heads hitting the ground or anything.
Let's hope the MRO sees it that way. Because he hasn't seen most of them that way this year, has he? That's the point I'm making. Tackling and bumping is my favourite part of the game. I hate seeing multiple players suspended every week for perfectly good tackles.

Fly is hoping Maynard goes so it’s one less selection headache

Loved what Maynard said about Port after the game, Hope we really talk it up, that’s the confidence of our side

Not the slightest concern against Port next week !

Keep an eye / ear on Corns and the dribble next week post that comment

If you look at our draw for the rest of the season we’ve got some pretty tough games coming up.Port away,Carlton,Geelong,Lions at Marvel,then Essendon in the final round.I’d say our draw is harder than any other team in the top four.
I’d say theirs is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disappointed in how they dominated clearance and ground ball outside the 2nd quarter

Hoping this whole blitz one or two quarters thing is an intentional build up for September.

Daicos just continues to be a once in a generation player. Absolutely crazy to think that in the modern era we have a 20 year old who could win the Brownlow in his second year

Fly's presser

What did you take away from the performance today?
"It was somewhat workmanlike. We wanted to turn up today and put on the best version of us or grow in a different way or find what our best looks like in terms of forward of the ball and other parts of the game. I just said to the players after the game about the ability to put our foot down when we want to. We did it last week against the Bulldogs and just played some really good brand of footy that we want to play. We did it again today in the second quarter and it's exciting. We want to be exciting to watch and hard to play against".

Was the second quarter the perfect quarter you can ask for?
"I don't like the word 'perfect' because it means it's never going to happen again, but yeah I think so. I think that's just probably as close to what our DNA looks like in terms of all facets of our game. We had high pressure. We had good contested ball and we won a lot of the territory, so there's a lot of stuff there that makes us feel like we're on the right track".

The ability to find another level in the second quarter was impressive.
"Yeah, the gears. When you're challenged can you put your foot down or when the game is close can you find another level? This group has had the ability to do it; whether you're down at three quarter time, and then they go, 'no, we get to work because time is running out, let's go' or in other parts of the game. It's a nice thing to have".

What do you think sparked your second quarter surge?
"I think we got busy around the centre bounces. I think we lost a bit of territory early in the game, and that meant they could score heavily from that facet. We had minimal inside 50s in the first quarter but we scored from most of them; or for a lot of them. Then in the second quarter we just had a dominance of territory and clearance, and then our players forward of the ball found a way to score".

You must have been happy that Daniel McStay and Steele Sidebottom got through the game unscathed?
"Yeah it's important. We got to get some work into those guys. They've been out for a while, and they've been working away from the footy field in terms of getting themselves ready to play, but there's nothing like match fitness".

Was Scott Pendlebury being subbed off a tactical move?
"Yeah, somewhat. It's funny I've come and said that we're not going to rest players and I'll stand by my word, but we're going to manage them where we can. That's not just match day. We do that consistently. We look at the loads of players and how much training load they've had or how much they haven't had. I think Beau McCreery a few weeks ago didn't train all week and we thought that's two weeks in a row coming off an ankle so we didn't want him out of the team, so we play him as a sub. This week was the same with Tom Mitchell. He's had a heavy training load. He hasn't missed many sessions, and we're sort of thinking we're just teetering on the red line. We're going to need to look after this guy, but again we don't want him out of the team, so he plays sub. Then there's an opportunity to do the same with Pendles. I've said this before, but the naming of the 22 and not the sub is really difficult. It is because then we communicate that he's omitted. Well he's not omitted and he's not injured. What is it? He's not managed, so we're left holding this can of 'what is he'? And then he's out, but he's in. We find it extremely frustrating that we have to communicate that to the broader AFL or whoever else. Even the players, we're protecting the players from the ridicule of like, 'oh you're omitted'. How do you omit Tom Mitchell? How do you omit Beau McCreery? It's a frustration from our end".

Does that have an effect on players telling them they're the sub, even though on paper it says they're being omitted?
"Yeah it has. Then people start to manipulate and go 'oh, late out'. Then you have to name someone else. It's a frustration".

It's unlikely you'll be making Nick Daicos the sub in the future?
"Yeah, we have with Nick the ability to manage him during the week. We understand he's in his second year and he's playing high minutes and things and now he's in the midfield and we look after him during the week".

Is Nick Daicos embracing his midfield role with Jordan De Goey?
"Yeah, he's worked with Jordy. They haven't played midfield together. It's only his second game together as a mid combination. It's exciting to think what that chemistry could be over short, medium and long term. There's just the little nuances of giving the ball to each other and whatever it looks like. It's a pretty damaging couple of players".

Is the plan long-term to leave Nick and Jordy in the midfield?
"Yeah, for whatever the game needs. I think we'll start that way some games and then other games we might need something different. Right now, it's a nice weapon to have".

Back to team selection, do you think they should change it from a 22-man line-up to 23-man line-up, even though this can't be done apparently for legal reasons?
"I think the perfect solution in the short term, if that's the case, would be an 'out - sub' because you've got to name them 'out' and he will be the sub and it gives us the flexibility to do that. Now, you don't have to do that. You could choose to say other things, but that would really help us because we're playing players that are in the 22 one week, but we're going to sub them the next [week]. Again, I'm not here to change the game. I'm just here to tell you the frustrations of it".

Any injuries to report?
"No. Billy Frampton got a little cork so I'm not aware of any others".

Brayden Maynard looked like he re-aggravated his shoulder in the first quarter. Is that something he will have to manage?
"Yeah, I don't think that's going to change. I think that's he's had it for a couple of years. It's just grumbling along. I'm stepping outside my expertise here, but I don't think it's a typical shoulder that pops in and out that needs a full reco like some get. It's certainly causing a little bit of grief here and there. It's something he's managed for a couple of years now".

Are you confident Maynard will be fine?
"Yeah, unless it gets worse".

Brody Mihocek will push for selection for the Port Adelaide game?
"Yeah, we anticipating that he gets up to play. Same with Darcy Cameron. They just didn't quite get to the line this week, so both of those guys will be available".

Are you now focusing on the Port Adelaide game?
"We're pretty happy to just sit in the moment and enjoy our wins. We've spoken about deep wins and shallow losses and we'll sit in this one for a little bit".

If you look at our draw for the rest of the season we’ve got some pretty tough games coming up.Port away,Carlton,Geelong,Lions at Marvel,then Essendon in the final round.I’d say our draw is harder than any other team in the top four.

Just one more win mathematically guarantees us a top-four finish (and we play Hawthorn in a few weeks)

I literally typed that out for you in my previous post :drunk:.

Stop dodging... Answer this: How does that mean they don't draw from Fremantle's football heritage and supporter base from the WAFL? Why do you think they got the franchise in the first place? They are basically the same as Port except for the fact they had 2 WAFL teams running around.

I'll put it this way for you. Fremantle has supporters who are in their 90's who have supported a Fremantle team in the WAFL since the 1930/40's and are now passionate Dockers supporters. Are you telling me that has nothing to do with Fremantle being the Fremantle Football club and representing Fremantle and it's football heritage? If it meant nothing they would have been West Coast supporters wouldn't they!

How are Fremantle as irrelevant as Gold Coast? Give me your reasoning.
You said Freo ie the Freo football club have a history. I said they have one from 1995.

You have sought to conflate your Gold Coast comment into something I said which I never did. Re read it again.

That Fremantle the town has a football history is moot- I was talking about the club itself as I referenced its inception.

You can continue to argue with yourself about Gold Coast v Fremantle but my comment was that Fremantle FC is and will always be a football club with a history that commenced in 1995 with less of a history than Claremont (1906) or Port Melbourne (1874).

No amount of mental manipulation will change this

"Yeah, he's worked with Jordy. They haven't played midfield together. It's only his second game together as a mid combination. It's exciting to think what that chemistry could be over short, medium and long term. There's just the little nuances of giving the ball to each other and whatever it looks like. It's a pretty damaging couple of players".

Only two games together in the midfield. Mind boggling.

The great, Nick and Josh Daicos, Degoey, The Peoples Moustache, every time Bruz tackled, brutal.

The bad, Triple M commentary, i was taking my son to the football, so i go in a bit late and was listening to the game on Triple M, BT, JB and the other stoogies, man can they stop yelling/talking over each other and actually keep commentating the game, it's like listening to a group of drunken idiots at the football trying to commentate from the crowd, absolutely ******* horrible, i had no idea what the hell was going on.
I've always said the hardest thing in footy is to get the Triple M footy commentators to stop talking about themselves and actually talk about the footy.

Fly's presser

What did you take away from the performance today?

Was the second quarter the perfect quarter you can ask for?

The ability to find another level in the second quarter was impressive.

What do you think sparked your second quarter surge?

You must have been happy that Daniel McStay and Steele Sidebottom got through the game unscathed?

Was Scott Pendlebury being subbed off a tactical move?

Does that have an effect on players telling them they're the sub, even though on paper it says they're being omitted?

It's unlikely you'll be making Nick Daicos the sub in the future?

Is the plan long-term to leave Nick and Jordy in the midfield?

Back to team selection, do you think they should change it from a 22-man line-up to 23-man line-up, even though this can't be done apparently for legal reasons?

Any injuries to report?

Brayden Maynard looked like he re-aggravated his shoulder in the first quarter. Is that something he will have to manage?

Are you confident Maynard will be fine?

Brody Mihocek will push for selection for the Port Adelaide game?

Are you now focusing on the Port Adelaide game?

"We're pretty happy to just sit in the moment and enjoy our wins. We've spoken about deep wins and shallow losses and we'll sit in this one for a little bit".

Sunday is the perfect day to wallow in a deep win.

Watching replay.
Naicos kicks into F50 😍
Hill could have kicked 2 goals. AJ floated across in front of him in the square. He was also buzzing around marking packs - We were just clunking them.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back