Toast Round 3 = Brisbane Lions 72-92 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with that. Did his part well. Would like to see him put on a bit of bulk though. He did get eased aside, and under the ball quite a bit.

Yeah he needs a good run at it and hopefully stay injury free but he is very good at bringing it to ground and also at ground level few crumbing goals he has taken cleanly

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That is ridiculous playing 3 games in 12 days/4 in 19 days/4 games before April!
There are currently more than 10 teams who have only played 2 games, in the time we have copped 4 very good teams. Just seems dumb and you have to wonder why the AFL think they need to continually re-invent the wheel with crap like round zero and teams having byes after 1 or 2 weeks.

DeGoey still a long way from his best. Seemed to loses his feet a lot
Thought he was very good myself. Not career best but a team player. Did a lot of hard bollocking in the contests and clearances that you won’t find on the stat sheets but prevented a number of lions clearances by doing so.

There are currently more than 10 teams who have only played 2 games, in the time we have copped 4 very good teams. Just seems dumb and you have to wonder why the AFL think they need to continually re-invent the wheel with crap like round zero and teams having byes after 1 or 2 weeks.
I probably prefer this than the draw Brisbane copped. At least our first bye is after a decent block of 5-6 games whilst the lions bye was way too early in the season . When you’re not playing well and not winning the last thing you need is a week off when you’ve only played two games.

if we can beat the hawks and end 2/3, given how down in form a lot of our top players have been, especially degoey we can turn this season around 100%.

Terrible draw, laughable we’ve played literally twice as many games as some teams right now (you can’t make this up) and already played the two hardest trips in footy this season (gws and bris at home).

The seasons just starting

I probably prefer this than the draw Brisbane copped. At least our first bye is after a decent block of 5-6 games whilst the lions bye was way too early in the season . When you’re not playing well and not winning the last thing you need is a week off when you’ve only played two games.
You're probably right. I just question why we needed this situation at all. Creating more unevenness in an already uneven competition.

And Zorko, you can

go away gtfo GIF

imagine mouthing off at the great man that he will get a fine for that.
Not to mention the "where's my opportunity" to the ump after a textbook htb. What a whiny p.o.s. he is.

if we can beat the hawks and end 2/3, given how down in form a lot of our top players have been, especially degoey we can turn this season around 100%.

Terrible draw, laughable we’ve played literally twice as many games as some teams right now (you can’t make this up) and already played the two hardest trips in footy this season (gws and bris at home).

Yes but let’s take a positive spin. Got some hard games out of the way and the draw looking forward looks less challenging and more spaced out.

Get past hawthorn (ten day break) with a win (another road trip ticked off which will make us 2-2 for road trips) and we face Port at home with a chance to go 3-3. Port was probably our best win last year.

Last edited:
You're probably right. I just question why we needed this situation at all. Creating more unevenness in an already uneven competition.
The top sides from last year have been losing. How’s that creating unevenness?

It is what it is. It’s about money and Collingwood is always the number one lever they pull.

Last edited:
They just turn up to hear Take Me Home Country Roads.
Thankfully, we only had to put up with it once last night.
Heaps of pies fans singing it down our end through the final 15 minutes. They were taking the p!ss, but Lions fans began to join in too. 🤣

The top sides from last year have been losing. How’s that creating unevenness?

It is what it is
Perhaps uneven is the wrong term. As you said, Brisbane had a bye after round 1 when it probably couldn't have come at a worse time. Lets say we roll Hawthorn next week and we have a bit of momentum going. Then a bye. After 5 games. I just think they have added an unnecessary element to the fixture. We will have to see it it benefits or hinders us I guess

It’ll set us up for the rest of the year though which is the one good thing… when teams are battling during the middle of the year, we should be fresher and overrun teams.

I’d rather be able to build consistency as the year gets on rather then dominate early and struggle at the latter end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked a lot of what you said, but Lipinski? He was not good, super fumbly and poor with his disposal.
Fair. I guess I always saw him as an outside player. Seems pretty effective to me as an inside mid, albeit with low production. 6 tackles, plenty of ground covered 83% efficiency and 4 clearances is pretty good for a role player. I saw him impacting Opposition ball movement…got ‘busy’ as Macrae said, it was this busyness that one is the game (tackling and pressure, as we lost most other statistical categories). Daicos by comparison had 1 tackle and 2 clearances, and has a license to hunt the ball at will. His possession count came easier when he was freed on a half back flank.

Yes, so stupid, as a fan I want a big build up to a 9 game opening round with all the bells and whistles.
Not a watered down start to the season where it still seems like a pre-season format.

That was awesome. Went last night expecting a torrid time and that was so but the end result was sweet.
Had a couple of pregame beers at The Norman on the way. Pies premiership cap firmly in place, you can imagine the reception from the locals 😂. Chatted with a couple of other Pies fans who also weren’t confident but alls well that ends well.
The playing of the songs after each goal is such s*t and more ****** annoying than I thought possible.
Walking out after the game hearing how the umpires were our best players again was sweeter music than Country Roads.

Yes, their supporters were extra obnoxious after the game last night.
I walked in feeling completely down and expecting a thrashing, but the feeling afterwards was almost preliminary final like.

Last night was the perfect example of what we can achieve when we get our desire levels up, while the 2nd quarter showed just how uncompetitive we (and all teams are) when it falls right away.
That 2nd quarter if it wasn't our worst ever under Fly it's a bloody close second. The fact we still went on to win was a testament to our resilience but why did it happen?
Was it merely a case of Brisbane rising a few levels as ours dropped and they took advantage (thankfully not fully) of the wild swings in momentum we increasingly see? I'd like to think that perhaps we entered that quarter with a desire to conserve energy, taking a more conservative approach and we looked to absorb Brisbane's best shot. Obviously it wasn't the plan to be as dominated as we were. Whatever the reason we ended up running out the game well in the second half so perhaps the quarter from hell was a godsend.

20 points also has to be recognised in the context of our 3 games in 12 days, playing Brisbane at home, and our tendency to have much narrower margins under Fly. Good work Pies.

Plus the Lions coming off a bye, I was somewhat confident we were gonna win, but then there was the part of me that thought the Lions would run us off our feet.

Naicos, JFN and Frampton were a massive improvement over the first couple of rounds, plus our tackling was sensational. Love how the cameras went to fly when we'd lay a massive tackle and he was rapt.

Making Crisp the sub was a good move IMHO, we got some more game time into Fin and Crisp came on and made an immediate impact.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back