How long does Adam Simpsons have left?

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at their injury list and whilst it may be long, who on it is honestly best 22?

Naitanui?
Hurn?
Ryan?
Cripps?

who else?

Waterman, maybe?

It is more than that. It’s an extension of fitness and some playing through injuries because depth isn’t there - not all about best 22.

They lost by a goal round 1 (admittedly against another poor side but still competitive), won in round 2, and were down by 8 points at 3/4 time round 3 before they played the last quarter with 17 fit men.

And they haven’t recovered since. Too many guys having to come back unfit just to fill a jumper. They’ve had 1 or 2 guys in the WAFL most weeks since round 4. There’s no accountability for performance, because there’s no one to replace them, and players have lost all confidence along with what fitness they had.

It’s not like the list doesn’t have talent or leadership. Complete lack of effort and disregard for their follow team mates.

Is that the coach’s responsibility? I’ll let you decide.

It absolutely does lack talent. At least, prime aged talent.

Gaff, Shuey, Yeo, Darling, Hurn, Naitanui are examples of players you would call “talent” but clearly not the same players they once were - new coach or not.

Probably not a jump to say the same of McGovern, Ryan or Cripps either.

Their “next gen” of 21-25 year olds:
Star - Allen
Pretty good/enough to be best 22 - Jones, Waterman, Williams
Mediocre at best - Rotham, SPS, Petrucelle, Witherden, West, Foley, Jamieson, O’Neill, Edwards x2, Trew, Winder

Anyone under that too early to judge.

They’ve got easily the most deadwood list spots in the comp. It doesn’t have talent. If they could replace 25 spots this year, they would/should.

I genuinely think they’d be better off getting 3 top 10 picks instead of just 1. Their list is devoid of talent.

I would do that to, but the only club that is probably able to offer that is GWS, and rumour has it they have gone cold on Harley Reid, believing him to be a flight risk.

I'm not sure what the sacking of Simpson would achieve at this point. The biggest problem is the West Coast is a major player in the shape up of the 8 and not in the way you would expect. Every team that plays them now will get a monstrous percentage boost and in a season that has 3 teams outside the 8 currently who could easily make it, they maybe be thwarted in their efforts by the performance of a substandard AFL team. That's footy i suppose, but would sacking Adam Simpson make any difference this year?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the sacking of Simpson would achieve at this point. The biggest problem is the West Coast is a major player in the shape up of the 8 and not in the way you would expect. Every team that plays them now will get a monstrous percentage boost and in a season that has 3 teams outside the 8 currently who could easily make it, they maybe be thwarted in their efforts by the performance of a substandard AFL team. Rhat's footy i suppose, but would sacking Adam Simpson make any difference this year?
It's about making a statement.
But shouldn't be just him as a scapegoat.

Nisbett and anyone involved in decision making needs to go as well.

Last edited:

Nisbett and the list manager also need to * off .

Nisbett has tenure at the Eagles. The Eagles board will never have the stones to sack him (unfortunately)

The entrenched boys club (from.board level) at Carlton in the final years of the John Elliott/West Lofts era is what caused the downfall of our great club, and it could be the same for the Weagles if there is not a massive clean out at the top tiers of their footy club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like simmo to stay this year. And stay until hall way through next year then make the decision mid 2024

I don't believe I'm the only supporter with that view. That's the fastest I'd go to sack him.

Getting done by 28 goals isn't just a shellacking. It's a 'we want the coach gone' non-effort like the 186 point demolition that ended Dean Bailey's reign at the Demons.
Tend to agree

I mean it's one thing to say we want "stability".

But what if the coach himself is burnt out and the players want him gone?

It can't go on like this. It's become untenable.

If you were a rookie coach would this list seem in any way attractive?

You have Kelly, Ginbey, Barrass and Allen that show they have A grade quality.

After that is swathes of beige.

You could kill your career with this club in the next 3 years
That's a good point but would need the whole club to get behind a rebuild and accept it's a five year plan.

That's a good point but would need the whole club to get behind a rebuild and accept it's a five year plan.

I reckon they need an experienced assistant who can teach the kids gradually.

Pyke with Mark Williams helping out?

It’s going to be ugly for a long while. They’ll need not patience than they typically give

Nisbett and anyone involved in decision making needs to go as well.
Agreed, but there has to be something in that statement, something that is effective even in a small way. I know they have had injuries, but what has happened in the 5 years since they were premiers? They are a major liability and the entire competition is affected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back