Autopsy 2023 Rd 20 Blues beat flag favourites and move into the 8

Who played well for the Blues in Round 20 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Great tackle on someone 20+ cm taller and 20+ kg heavier than him.

Lots to choose from, but that was the worst umpiring decision of the night, for mine.

Lifted the arms up, braced for contact, chose to try and use his body weight to get free of his opponent.

Holding the ball every single day of the week.
Agree with that. Was definately there amd should have been rewarded

Was Leigh Mathew’s the bloke who plonked $1m on the collingwoid last night.

Sloppy play, soft free kicks and inaccurate kicking at goal cost them the win…nothing about how good the winners were…hope others in the radio balance it up a little.

Y'know this is a myth, right? He was mates with Jsos and Sos got him in as a junior to play some kick to kick etc with Carlton afl players. So he spent a season or so around the club and 'supported' Carlton because of it. He's never been an actual carlton fan.
Mmmmm..

I’ve seen pics of him with his Carlton jumper on that ran adjacent to a feature article noting how bemused Daddy Daicos was of him being a Blues fan

How good was Newman? Curnow gets BOG for sure but Newman was absolutely outstanding. So influential in that win. One of Gov's best ever games also - 400m games at 89% efficiency.

Gotta love Mason Cox checking Newman's number because he didn't even know who he was. Well Mason he's the bloke equal BOG while you got subbed in the 3rd quarter with 3 possessions and the reputation as one of the world's great flogs.

Marchbank!! What a brilliant game. A couple of errors but first game in 2 or 3 years under huge pressure and he was right in it. Had to watch the replay to pick up just how good he was - so smart with his positioning and cool under pressure.

Martin outstanding once again.

Players out for Carlton: Boyd, SOS, McKay, Walsh, Kennedy, Cerra, Williams
Collingwood: full strength

1/4 and a half into replay.
Pitto can play I tell ya. Just needs his body to hold up.
Clearly been working hard on his craft.

Pies acting like there's only them out there, avoiding contests, did they think it was gonna be a walk in the park. Looked rattled when we fought back to the lead twice.

While we hunt the contest and the physicality.
And all with a calm determination.
Jack Martin playing Johnno esque

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys like owies hollands fog motts provide so much energy it’s crazy
Motts is insane in his tackling energy… sees opposition player with ball, tackles hard and sticks it.

One thing that has not been mentioned much (i am too lazy to trawl through 36 pages lol) is how much we curtailed Issac Quaynor's influence last night, who is an excellent player who is having an AA season and probably going to finish 2nd in the Copeland Trophy.

He is one player from the filth in the past that we always had issues/trouble with.

Vossy clearly did his home work and our Mosquito Fleet pretty much well 'zapped' him !!!

It's that kind of methodical coaching and tactical nous that will hold us in good stead going forwards !

Was Leigh Mathew’s the bloke who plonked $1m on the collingwoid last night.

Sloppy play, soft free kicks and inaccurate kicking at goal cost them the win…nothing about how good the winners were…hope others in the radio balance it up a little.

That is all true i guess. Collingwood were sloppy, they did kick poorly for goal, and we did get some free kicks.

On the other hand they never got within 3 goals in the second half and we belted them by 33 in contested disposals - it was a comfortable win on the night, and we had player s missing too.

Crazy to focus on Collingwood there imo

The stuff they focus on with Collingwood is strange too. Why not mention their impotent forward line or tendency to get 3-4 goals behind and rely on coming from behind. If they are as good as everyone thinks, surely you don't rely on dominating the last quarter AND kicking miraculous goals from 50 out or on the boundary. It's an approach designed to fall apart in finals imo

They have Garry Lyon already… why do they need a second clown?

Motts is insane in his tackling energy… sees opposition player with ball, tackles hard and sticks it.
We’ve finally learnt to tackle effectively and with aggression. Reminding me of the swans tackling pressure. Just an absolute joy to watch.

It’s hard to be critical of any player when they bring that sort of effort and intensity. I’m so proud of all the players. They fully deserve their day off today….sipping lattes around the suburbs.

It was tough because the bounce put the ball on his head and he couldn’t protect himself, but it wasn’t a wrong decision.

Further to this, it’s known as the “Mathew Primus” rule. To stop ruckmen from running past the line and blocking the opposing ruckman out of the contest. You can block if it’s a legitimate part of going for the ball, but you can’t do it as a seperate action. In this case TDK puts his arm out and blocks the ruckman and then goes for the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm going to look at it again. Thought it went over him and he had to turn to get to the ball, then he got pinged for a block. Nothing else he could have done.

Back