Autopsy 2023 Rd 7 Charlie's Blues beat Eagles by a tonne

Who played well vs the Eagles in Round 7

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I really hope they persist with Honey.

He’s a one touch confidence player.

Building without a doubt.

I can see a dynamic small power forward in him - we don’t have one yet.

Circa - Degoey, Green, Heeney etc…

We could use one …
He hit his tackles hard and with intent. I reckon he played a very serviceable game.

Lob still building????....average,however has tank.....def depth
Plow has slackened off a bit at 29...... I still rate Plow tho,its just a sign list has improved
Kemp has moved ahead of Plow for the tall/medium defender roll.

Don't recall anything in the game that jumped out as suspension-worthy.

Was an interesting game from SPS. Hardly touched the pill, but his speed and pressure seemed much improved from his time with us.

If he's got some speed and intensity back in his game, I think they're missing a trick by not playing him on the ball.
They did play him on the ball a couple of times I think. He had a good game. Until he copped that cork.

Last few weeks he been reaching Gaff at his best levels be amazing if he can sustain it --strangely his disposal improving by the week also
Yeh agreed. Seems to be building confidence and cohesion amongst the group weekly.

Thought he was awful against Adelaide, but since then has gone to another level. Obviously against a pretty weak team, but nevertheless.

Conversely, I don’t think it’s entirely all his own doing. A return to some big numbers being put up by our prime on ballers, has had a flow on effect to outside types here.

I liked Kennedy as the sub. 7 touches and a goal and he provided more energy and attack than LOB did.

Given our midfield depth and Cripps, Walsh, Hewitt and Cerra being our primary mids, it will be good for him to learn to play more as a burst player. Collingwood have transitioned some.of their guys this way and if Kennedy can run harder amd with more burst, for shorter stints both midfield and forward, he can become much more effective. Being a sub will help with this, and longer term perhaps he takes on the role Fisher is playing as a forward who has midfield bursts in the second half

Kennedy is also a solid aerialist and i though did ok as a makeshift mid sized defender given he had almosr zero practice there. Makes him as excellent sub option if we gave an injury down back.
Yeah but game was over. Personally think he’s best 22 and lacks the zip you often want from a sub.
Yeah i'd agree with that. Similar to Cripps(he has super elite qualities to make up for his downside), Kennedy, Dow and even Hewett a bit. That's why the combo has flies on it a bit when we don't dominate contest and field position. But that's another subject.

On your obs of Cerra's game there, i think that shows why perhaps he's a bit off "elite" yet. He has to be "helped" a bit still. Elite players don't need help, they do the helping.

I'm happy with Cerra, but yeah, he's just Cerra. Every side has got a couple of them.
not sure many teams have a 3rd or 4th mid as good as him. He’s a cut above that. But not a top 2 type yet, I’d agree.

Huge indeed.

Against the Saints, who had a few players missing from a strike.

First ever 10 goal haul from a Carlton player. Vin Gardiner.

Not just 10 goals, but also 12 points!!

Rained in the third quarter and the only reason Saints kicked their second goal was a Carlton defender sheltering from the rain under a supporters umbrella!

Yeah, I read the story too. The early history is fascinating. BTW, the Gardiner Stand was named after Vin Gardiners father, Alderman Jack Gardiner Snr.

Just what the team needed a training run to work on the game plan.
Doc and Saad showed how much our running game was hamstrung in the last 2 weeks.
Cincotta showed why Austin wasn't concerned about losing Stocker. Quicker with a more reliable kick. 9 intercepts was huge. Just needs to get the confidence to demand the ball.
Kemp doing everything we wanted from MMcG who was very quiet. Feel less concerned if MMcG does leave.
H is doing everything we need but kicking goals. Key priority for him is working on his kicking.
Hollands could do with a rest. Interesting his kms seem to have dropped right off. First few rounds he was outrunning everyone, last few weeks he is not in the top 5. DE was lowest in the team even though he was playing uncontested possession.

Overall no one player was poor on the night and by rights there should be no changes.

Just what the team needed a training run to work on the game plan.
Doc and Saad showed how much our running game was hamstrung in the last 2 weeks.
Cincotta showed why Austin wasn't concerned about losing Stocker. Quicker with a more reliable kick. 9 intercepts was huge. Just needs to get the confidence to demand the ball.
Kemp doing everything we wanted from MMcG who was very quiet. Feel less concerned if MMcG does leave.
H is doing everything we need but kicking goals. Key priority for him is working on his kicking.
Hollands could do with a rest. Interesting his kms seem to have dropped right off. First few rounds he was outrunning everyone, last few weeks he is not in the top 5. DE was lowest in the team even though he was playing uncontested possession.

Overall no one player was poor on the night and by rights there should be no changes.
Good observation RE: Dutchy

I thought he was OK, and agree on merit nobody should be omitted. However, he may be managed and on light duties for a week to get him back up to speed. Perhaps he is managed for a week, played in the VFL the week after whilst Binns gets a minimum 2 week crack on the Wing at AFL level?

On Hollands. He was fine...the ball didnt go down his wing much is all We went down the guts far more than previous games.
so the end result is less km's is the rest he needed if indeed he needs one.
Be surprised if he doesnt play next game.
The only counter to this is for kids who do that level of work, you're probably better off managing them early, rather than burning them out. He's kms have dropped off the last couple of weeks.
Back to back 6 day breaks and a trip to Perth. Wouldn't be shocked if we gave him a rest.

Watched it again last night. Yeah the opposition wasn't much however Port and Geelong only beat them by 7-8 goals and the Dees by 10, we thoroughly ripped them apart....on their home turf.

Hopefully that is the statement win we need to release the pressure and provide the players confidence that they can play scintillating football, they can smoothly transition quickly out of defence through the middle and hit targets up forward. Trust the midfield to win the first ball and dish off quickly, that will be vital against Brissie on Friday night.

Anyone listed to SEN this morning? Was listening on my way to work and that flog Buckley just gave us no credit. His words on their quick match rundown segment "Ill be short and sharp on this, West Coast provide no pressure, this win doesnt say anything about Carlton" K Cornes tried talk up Sam Walsh's kicks into the forward 50 and Buckley didnt even reply just tried to move onto the next match. Bloke is a complete flog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone listed to SEN this morning? Was listening on my way to work and that flog Buckley just gave us no credit. His words on their quick match rundown segment "Ill be short and sharp on this, West Coast provide no pressure, this win doesnt say anything about Carlton" K Cornes tried talk up Sam Walsh's kicks into the forward 50 and Buckley didnt even reply just tried to move onto the next match. Bloke is a complete flog.
I missed that, but I heard him say Charlie isn't in the top 5 players at the moment.
But Darcy Moore and Nick Daicos are...

How about we don’t do anything more to allow the industry to disrespect us - and we make a statement this Friday against the Lions.

:thumbsu:

And in any case let’s be thankful that Eddie McGuires constant life long hard on for Nathan Buckley probably cost them a flag or two as well.

Watched it again last night. Yeah the opposition wasn't much however Port and Geelong only beat them by 7-8 goals and the Dees by 10, we thoroughly ripped them apart....on their home turf.

Hopefully that is the statement win we need to release the pressure and provide the players confidence that they can play scintillating football, they can smoothly transition quickly out of defence through the middle and hit targets up forward. Trust the midfield to win the first ball and dish off quickly, that will be vital against Brissie on Friday night.

Buckley also said Petracca isn’t an elite finisher but JDG is, Cornes thinks Walsh is a better user than both of them.

Buckley is a great match day commentator but a shocking analyst with serious bias

The only counter to this is for kids who do that level of work, you're probably better off managing them early, rather than burning them out. He's kms have dropped off the last couple of weeks.
Back to back 6 day breaks and a trip to Perth. Wouldn't be shocked if we gave him a rest.

Yep, management is the word. It doesn't equate to waiting til the kid drops dead before giving him a spell.

Good news is we have Binns performing very well in the reserves, and Cottrell with a good showing in his first game back this season. Either should be viewed as capable of stepping in to perform Hollands' role when deemed appropriate.

His hatred of Carlton is intense.

who can say whats best...toss of a coin.....just fantastic to have these young players provoking the debate

Rounds 10, 11 will be interesting from that standpoint. Pies on the Sunday, then Sydney, in Sydney on the Friday (5-day break). Do we look to manage a few players against the Pies, with a view to being at our strongest against the Swans, who are just a bit vulnerable at the moment? Or manage players out of the Sydney match? Or is it all out for both?

Back