Autopsy 2023 Rd 7 Charlie's Blues beat Eagles by a tonne

Who played well vs the Eagles in Round 7

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We are so fortunate to have snagged Blake Acres, inspired recruitment, right up there with Saad and Cerra

Watched it again last night. Yeah the opposition wasn't much however Port and Geelong only beat them by 7-8 goals and the Dees by 10, we thoroughly ripped them apart....on their home turf.

Hopefully that is the statement win we need to release the pressure and provide the players confidence that they can play scintillating football, they can smoothly transition quickly out of defence through the middle and hit targets up forward. Trust the midfield to win the first ball and dish off quickly, that will be vital against Brissie on Friday night.

Anyone listed to SEN this morning? Was listening on my way to work and that flog Buckley just gave us no credit. His words on their quick match rundown segment "Ill be short and sharp on this, West Coast provide no pressure, this win doesnt say anything about Carlton" K Cornes tried talk up Sam Walsh's kicks into the forward 50 and Buckley didnt even reply just tried to move onto the next match. Bloke is a complete flog.
Getting more and more boring as his media career progresses.

As good as the win was, I think it said more about the Eagles than it does about us.

Hopefully the boys enjoyed the win as much as we did, but this weekend will tell us more about where we're at..

All that needs to be said about Nathan was that his coaching reign ended with him being so regimented that his team stagnated so badly that they were second last.

Put McCrae in there with Nick Daicos and all of a sudden they are an exciting team that people want to watch.

It must grate on Buckley that his old team is so much better as a result of him not being there.
Let that be a dire warning for Voss.

As good as the win was, I think it said more about the Eagles than it does about us.

Hopefully the boys enjoyed the win as much as we did, but this weekend will tell us more about where we're at..
Can't agree at all Captain. Eagles gave a good go of it at times but we were ruthless and clinical. And we could easily have kicked ten more.

Can't agree at all Captain. Eagles gave a good go of it at times but we were ruthless and clinical. And we could easily have kicked ten more.
The worrying thing for me we still attacked from too wide.
Take Collingwood for instance they attack form close to the center square predominantly through the point of it or at least within 5M. We attack from closer to the boundary line than the center square which is very easy to defend against. This has to improve if we are going to compete with the top teams and there was no sign of improvement in this area in this game. A WAFL team that could still push us wide is a concern and a reason why a lot of knowledgeable folk and the unknowledgeable folk like myself are not convinced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The worrying thing for me we still attacked from too wide.
Take Collingwood for instance they attack form close to the center square predominantly through the point of it or at least within 5M. We attack from closer to the boundary line than the center square which is very easy to defend against. This has to improve if we are going to compete with the top teams and there was no sign of improvement in this area in this game. A WAFL team that could still push us wide is a concern and a reason why a lot of knowledgeable folk and the unknowledgeable folk like myself are not convinced.
I agree but I dont think they pushed us wide. Charlie especially loves to head into a pocket and create big angles as if its just habit. Would like us going in straighter also. Still a work in progress for sure.

Watched it again last night. Yeah the opposition wasn't much however Port and Geelong only beat them by 7-8 goals and the Dees by 10, we thoroughly ripped them apart....on their home turf.

Hopefully that is the statement win we need to release the pressure and provide the players confidence that they can play scintillating football, they can smoothly transition quickly out of defence through the middle and hit targets up forward. Trust the midfield to win the first ball and dish off quickly, that will be vital against Brissie on Friday night.

Anyone listed to SEN this morning? Was listening on my way to work and that flog Buckley just gave us no credit. His words on their quick match rundown segment "Ill be short and sharp on this, West Coast provide no pressure, this win doesnt say anything about Carlton" K Cornes tried talk up Sam Walsh's kicks into the forward 50 and Buckley didnt even reply just tried to move onto the next match. Bloke is a complete flog.

Yeah poor opposition helped us look good but there was a HUGE difference in our ball movement approach in this game that had more to do with us than WCE.

1. So noticeable that whenever we had the ball at half back after a mark, we'd look for a runner from behind for the handball to move the ball quickly...stark contrast to most of this year where we'd be stagnant

2. We definitely looked for the corridor kick more often and pulled some off - this probably would have something to do with their zone being poor compared to St Kilda's but we were clearly looking there as a first option

3. Also very noticeable that when kicking i50 we were putting the ball out in front of the forwards to run onto almost every time...big difference to most of this year where we've been bombing it long on top of their heads. Made our entries and forwards look so much more dangerous.

Lets hope we can keep this game style up against better opposition.

Yeah poor opposition helped us look good but there was a HUGE difference in our ball movement approach in this game that had more to do with us than WCE.

1. So noticeable that whenever we had the ball at half back after a mark, we'd look for a runner from behind for the handball to move the ball quickly...stark contrast to most of this year where we'd be stagnant

2. We definitely looked for the corridor kick more often and pulled some off - this probably would have something to do with their zone being poor compared to St Kilda's but we were clearly looking there as a first option

3. Also very noticeable that when kicking i50 we were putting the ball out in front of the forwards to run onto almost every time...big difference to most of this year where we've been bombing it long on top of their heads. Made our entries and forwards look so much more dangerous.

Lets hope we can keep this game style up against better opposition.
Reckon the inclusions of Saad, Doc and Kemp had an influence on this.

Even though we all hate them, Essendon got the raw end of the stick over the next 2 rounds, Port in Adelaide and then Brisbane in.Brisbane. There should be no reason why if you're travelling interstate as a melbourne club only 6 times a year that this should happen.
You're very lucky this isn't medieval times (or the 40k universe) as you'd be charged for heresy.

Back