Autopsy 2023 Rd 2 Blues hold on to beat the reigning premier

Who played well for the Blues in Round 2 vs the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If Cameron has kicked 4.3 would we be getting so excited?

He kicked straight (he goes at 64% overall usually) & had a very good game, far better than career averages, but he's not the second coming!

1679895798250.png

Having just re-watched the last quarter, it was pretty disappointing and I am not sure we really have learnt anything.
  • We were lucky Geelong butchered their chances when they had them.
  • Got smashed in the midfield in the 4th quarter.
  • Weren't able to lock the ball in our forward line.
  • Played on when we didn't need to then took the wrong option and kicked to no one.
  • Only won because we were able to take about 7or 8 big marks in the last 5 minutes but weren't able to retain possession(hence the reason we needed to take so many as we just gave it back to them). That is relying on individual brilliance rather than system to win
Need to improve the end of game play

Having just re-watched the last quarter, it was pretty disappointing and I am not sure we really have learnt anything.
  • Played on when we didn't need to then took the wrong option and kicked to no one.
  • Only won because we were able to take about 7or 8 big marks in the last 5 minutes but weren't able to retain possession(hence the reason we needed to take so many as we just gave it back to them). That is relying on individual brilliance rather than system to win
Who has pulverised the Cats in recent years? Anyone?

We were missing 2 of our best three mids and still got the job done!

Agree with a lot of this but I think you’re a bit harsh. We threw Curnow behind the ball and our wingers provided useful outlets when in need. These are improvements over last season.

We definitely can’t be relying on big contested marks to win close games repeatedly though. Still lots of work to do on our transition and ball movement.

Carlton went into the game with 2 teenagers in their second game of AFL missing their best transitional runner, playing a ruck back from a 9 month layoff for 53% of TOG, missing another mid in Hewett and playing a bloke coming back from a shoulder reco - in his first game for the year...

Sorry no tears for Geelong and no fear of them either. My only complaint about the game was somebody didn't have teh footy nouse to put Cameron off the field after the Acres collision - would have saved us 2-3 goals - all it would have taken was someone to actually tackle him properly - or bump him properly to impeded a run - that was a massive 'team' blunder in my books.

OR another way of putting it- take Cameron out of the game and give them back two "GF" defenders - and they still lose by 3-4 goals.

To make it even simpler - our depleted midfield dominated theirs and our two forwards who actually kick goals and take marks were enough to beat their six defenders and the 'magnificence' which is Geelong.

Harry McKay 'saved' the game with his two clutch marks and his massive running - as much as Cameron put them back into it.

Last edited:
We got geelong at a very good time to be honest , I still believe we are shaky in the last quarter but much better then the melb and Collingwood games last year … I still have nightmares about those games
Yep, they'll improve through the season.

As we will - look at all the young kids getting invaluable game time & experience - Moo, Dutchy, Mots, Durds, TDK etc. etc. Acres getting used to our systems, Pitto & Guv getting properly match fit....

Harry and Chuck deciding who wants the Coleman more this year....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry no tears for Geelong and no fear of them either. My only complaint about the game was somebody didn't have teh footy nouse to put Cameron off the field after the Acres collision - would have saved us 2-3 goals - all it would have taken was someone to actually tackle him properly - or bump him properly to impeded a run - that was a massive 'team' blunder in my books.

OR another way of putting it- take Cameron out of the game and give them back two "GF" defenders - and they still lose by 3-4 goals.

Agree. I thought that when he could have collected Hollands but ran past him (who was going back with the flight of the ball) and was wincing.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Ok … so it was good to win against Geelong the reigning prems.

It was a sugar hit…but it wasn’t sustaining.

Watching the game again - 28 points up and then what?

Our next step is to learn how to crush sides when we are up - I’m a bit over winning by 10-20pts.

(A good sign none the less).

I want a shellacking & I want one now.

Honestly we got a bit lucky at the end.

Bowes missed an absolute sitter. Bruhn kicked OOTF going i50 when i think Stengle was on the lead and had 5 metres on his man.

Those could have easily turned into goals.

We had a 23 point lead at 3/4 time and coughed up 2 quick goals in the 4th...hung on for a 8 point lead.

Definitely more to work on.

Bowes missed an absolute sitter. Bruhn kicked OOTF going i50 when i think Stengle was on the lead and had 5 metres on his man.

We had a 23 point lead at 3/4 time and coughed up 2 quick goals in the 4th...hung on for a 8 point lead.

The big concern is when teams really ramp up the pressure and close out our options, we tend to bomb it long and panic. We need to add a layer whereby players feel confident to back 1 v 1 contests in up the field. We still have a mindset of looking for uncontested marks first then if closed out we bomb it to a pack. The beauty of the pies at the moment is they hold their forwards deep and back their team mates in to win those 50 50s.

I would call their goal from out on the full lucky, and they had plenty of luck besides that instance.

I'll take lucky 8 point wins over unlucky one point losses any day .

We were 2 goals 8 at one stage yeah ? Some of those behinds could have easily turned into goals …

We made a lot of poor skill and decision making errors in the first half, which made the scoreboard a lot closer than it should have been. Then their (fewer) erros came in the second half.
Cats also got a goal from a blatant holding-the-ball free not being paid to Saad at our CHF in the 3rd.
Cats were lucky to be so close.

We made a lot of poor skill and decision making errors in the first half, which made the scoreboard a lot closer than it should have been. Then their (fewer) erros came in the second half.
Cats also got a goal from a blatant holding-the-ball free not being paid to Saad at our CHF in the 3rd.
Cats were lucky to be so close.

TBF there were a number of marginal decisions not paid both ways.

From memory Cez had a couple of throws not called.

TBF there were a number of marginal decisions not paid both ways.

From memory Cez had a couple of throws not called.
Yeah, but there's a difference between marginal ones, and blatant ones that result in scores.

But the point was more that while we had a bit of luck late, they also had luck to make it that close.

So many little incidents go a different way and strangely enough the result can be different. No shock.

Only watching on the teev but I felt we controlled the game for the most part and won the key moments.

much to like.
Exactly! As an example, a poster above talked of how we were lucky that Bruhn kicked out of bounds on the full going in to the forward line. But moments before, Charlie had missed out being paid a mark he looked like he absolutely clunked. As you wisely say Magruder, so many little incidents.

Back