Autopsy 2023 Rd 2 Blues hold on to beat the reigning premier

Who played well for the Blues in Round 2 vs the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok … so it was good to win against Geelong the reigning prems.

It was a sugar hit…but it wasn’t sustaining.

Watching the game again - 28 points up and then what?

Our next step is to learn how to crush sides when we are up - I’m a bit over winning by 10-20pts.

(A good sign none the less).

I want a shellacking & I want one now.

Ok … so it was good to win against Geelong the reigning prems.

It was a sugar hit…but it wasn’t sustaining.

Our next step is to learn how to crush sides when we are up - I’m a bit over winning by 10-20pts.

That’s not us yet. This group is just beginning to learn how to win together. I feel the same way as you but I just think we’re not that team at the moment. However, they are starting to lift at the right times of games and they are getting better at responding when teams get momentum.

I saw how the team was setup behind the ball far different than last week.

I saw how we applied pressure, miles apart from last week.

I saw how Doc and Saad always wanted to look for options down the middle, that was amazing to watch.

We wanted this win more and we got it.

Lost be freakin voice.
Do you think we tried to play on more this week?

That’s not us yet. This group is just beginning to learn how to win together. I feel the same way as you but I just think we’re not that team at the moment. However, they are starting to lift at the right times of games and they are getting better at responding when teams get momentum.
Your right it’s not us yet.

Once we have Hewitt and S. Walsh back, we should be able to dominate teams from centre bounce.

Our forward line looked better this week.

Our back line is strong.

So much upside to come once we do believe.

I don’t think it’s too far away :)

I want a shellacking too. But sides like Geelong don't roll over.

Very hard to put very good sides away.

Sometimes you just got to bank the win. However it comes.

I've taken umbrage with the saints and sun's supporters calling their full forwards "Kingy". They're just full of themselves.
Thank goodness we have a De Kingy and two Curnowies...

I liked how we kept attacking the corridor.

It was noted inthe first game we were very happy to pin ourselves and find the cheap easy target in the pocket and just go down the line. I remember it being noted in a few pre-season training writeups too that we clearly want to play safe down the wings.

Yet in 1 week, seeing how the whole rest of the competition essentially played we decided we had to take it on. What I really liked about it is early on we probably stuffed up the first 2 or 3 aggressive attempts inside. I remember thinking to myself "Please don't think 'Well that didn't work' and go back to fluffing around on the wings". But as is a sign to the maturity of the group they kept persevering and got better and better at it as we went on.

A huge step to build on.

I liked how we kept attacking the corridor.

It was noted inthe first game we were very happy to pin ourselves and find the cheap easy target in the pocket and just go down the line. I remember it being noted in a few pre-season training writeups too that we clearly want to play safe down the wings.

Yet in 1 week, seeing how the whole rest of the competition essentially played we decided we had to take it on. What I really liked about it is early on we probably stuffed up the first 2 or 3 aggressive attempts inside. I remember thinking to myself "Please don't think 'Well that didn't work' and go back to fluffing around on the wings". But as is a sign to the maturity of the group they kept persevering and got better and better at it as we went on.

A huge step to build on.

I mentioned just before the Cats game, that I thought the Tigers game was a tactical shift to stiffle their strengths, which had mixed results

What I did like, is how we could switch our style, with good results

The next step, is being able to change gears in-game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mentioned just before the Cats game, that I thought the Tigers game was a tactical shift to stiffle their strengths, which had mixed results

I think we need to back ourselves and play our own style.

With 7 mids and our forward line, we need to let 'them' worry about catching us...

Do you think the Pies are worried about how other teams are playing???

Playing tempo is fine but I'm not a believer in trying to stop the opposition...

Catch us IF you can...

With 7 mids and our forward line, we need to let 'them' worry about catching us...

Playing tempo is fine but I'm not a believer in trying to stop the opposition...

Catch us IF you can...
What gives us the better chance of winning the game? That's the game plan I would go with.
And this would obviously differ depending on which team we were up against too.

Catch us IF you can...

I think balance has merit

Ed went to Guthrie in a shutdown role, despite most sides like the Pies don't really tag

I guess, the game style and tactics should be reflective of the groups characteristics

What gives us the better chance of winning the game? That's the game plan I would go with.
And this would obviously differ depending on which team we were up against too.
Do we have that flexibility?

Coaches' Votes

9 -
Jeremy Cameron (GEEL)
9 - Charlie Curnow (CARL)
6 - Adam Saad (CARL)
2 - Ed Curnow (CARL)
2 - Jacob Weitering (CARL)
1 - Blake Acres (CARL)
1 -
Isaac Smith (GEEL)

I don't think the Tigers game was us playing how we wanted. I think they set up very well against us, and we struggled against it.

Coaches' Votes

9 -
Jeremy Cameron (GEEL)
9 - Charlie Curnow (CARL)
6 - Adam Saad (CARL)
2 - Ed Curnow (CARL)
2 - Jacob Weitering (CARL)
1 - Blake Acres (CARL)
1 -
Isaac Smith (GEEL)
thylacine60

Lots of red bars under poster’s names! Apparently we took more risks on the boards as well as the field this week. Paid off on the field but, not for everyone on the boards.

Back