Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Norf

Remove this Banner Ad

Man I truly hope Chess is a slow burn but atm he is tracking like a bust
I didn't watch the whole game but Chesser was impressive with ball in hand and seems to be adjusting to the speed and physicality of the game.

Compared to how he started the season I'd say I'm now more confident than not. The end product in what role isn't know but I can see him making the grade.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Cole is better than Duggan.

Petch looks genuinely good at the stoppages (sometimes)
It was a good game for Cole to stand up in wasn’t it. Tends to get overlooked for a flag player but without our talls and subbed Bazzo he had to step up. The youth were great, but the few experienced guys in general had to use every inch of their smarts to drag us across the line today. The Hurn & Bailey coverage was interesting too.

Agreed on Petch, somewhat typical match but he almost feels a midcareer clubman out there now. Without the likes of SPS, Jamaine, etc. nice to see him attempting to hit the stoppage ball at pace, keeps working at it every week, at least he doesn’t go missing as much.

Well on the positives side.

A win!!
Larkey didn't kick a bag with no tall defenders.
Yeo came on and was instrumental in the second half.
Darlings 1st and 3rd in particular were fantastic.
Cripps tackling like a man possessed.
Long and Hewett are gems.
Bailey Williams on the ground, is fantastic for a guy his size. Jack W played his best game.
Kelly and Gaff were good.

The not so good.
A few other young guys I'm still very unsure on. Chesser in particular. XON and Edwards are list filler. Would love to see Hough and Bazzo go up a few notches.
Let North back into the game, twice. Seemingly had no answers through when they got going.
Missing easy tackles still. I remember in the second quarter 4 guys had a go at tackling Thomas and he swatted them all away.
Edwards was everywhere in that first quarter and a huge part of why we played the way we did. Chesser was excellent and some of his ball use was elite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s because the camera follows the ball
oof-old-man.gif

Was good to hear Bazzo sub was pure tactics and Simmo said he was a bit stiff to be subbed but they wanted to get 60 minutes into Yeo and he took it in stride so all is good.

+ve
Scrappy but a W is a W nowadays. Important for the team.
The kids continue to show a lot. Was impressed by Chess, Edwards, Maric and Jilliams today - all had very nice moments.
Bailey Williams just keeps getting better. One of the best young rucks going now and having a massive impact around the ground and in clearances.
Darling's first quarter was 2018-esque. Hope it gives him confidence to come back and do that all next year.
Gaff - good on him for turning it around, showing some real guts.
Hurn did a very good job on Larkey. Also thought Cole and Witho had pretty good games there.
Allen.

-ve
Bled goals to a small forward again.
Couldn't arrest momentum in the 2nd or 4th quarters.
Mids got smashed in first half clearances in particular though did turn it around nicely.
Put pick one at risk 😁

Watching live today, I quite liked Chesser in traffic. A few times he got the ball under some pressure, but he has some composure and you can see him looking for the best option rather than just trying to get rid of it as quick as possible.

Keeping him fit is going to be the go, but I wouldn’t be so quick to call him a bust just yet.

Look, it is what it is, right? We ran out of legs late, but a win is a win. The exact opposite to the game v north earlier this year where we had all the running and just fell short, so it all levels out in the end I think.

Long’s hands are wonderful. He’s going to be a beauty. Him and Hewett in the forward half offer us something.

Cole had a really good game I thought, intercepted quite well and was on the move.

Bailey Williams is growing each and every outing. Loved the intercepting but he did well to not get beaten too often.

Cripps, Hurn both played very well. I am leaning towards us keeping Hurn one more year if he wants to. He’s clearly our most composed.
Nice to see Yeo back also with some minutes.

And where on earth has that version of Darling been all year? His first quarter was about the best I’ve seen him play for years. Need to have a GIF of him breaking Davies-Uniacke’s ankles.

Mostly, I’m glad for our boys that they got a win and some reward for effort. It’s a lonely place, footy when you are losing, but to at least have something to build on will be something we can use going into off season.

Watching live today, I quite liked Chesser in traffic. A few times he got the ball under some pressure, but he has some composure and you can see him looking for the best option rather than just trying to get rid of it as quick as possible.

Keeping him fit is going to be the go, but I wouldn’t be so quick to call him a bust just yet.

I haven’t been a big fan of his but agree, thought the same about his composure a few times, finding the best option.

He fades in and out of games, but hopefully over time he well be better for longer.

Was good to hear Bazzo sub was pure tactics and Simmo said he was a bit stiff to be subbed but they wanted to get 60 minutes into Yeo and he took it in stride so all is good.
It was pretty risky though. What if we'd had an injury in the third quarter?

He’s coming on well 👍 It’s a small group who have been anti him since the moment he was drafted and have continued denigrating him since who have written him off, no shock there really 🤷‍♂️

Remove this Banner Ad

Back