Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Norf

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't watch the whole game but Chesser was impressive with ball in hand and seems to be adjusting to the speed and physicality of the game.

Compared to how he started the season I'd say I'm now more confident than not. The end product in what role isn't know but I can see him making the grade.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

agree, watching him live I thought he showed good composure and decision making

IMHO, the big positive out of this game is the game plan... it seems attacking and exciting. A lot of players playing on quickly with really rapid ball movement. With a bit more talent in the side, and a bit more experience under the belt... it's going to be a great style of play.

Negative? Watching the entire team streaming forward, only for Sheed to hold everything up and give the opposition time to get into position. AFL website has Sheed as BOG (based on stats), but actually watching the game he seemed like a liability.

Funny game. Looking at the scores you’d think there was a 40 knot westerly blowing. Only a single point was scored at the city end in the second half as momentum was king

Twice we blew the lead out to 5 goals and looked ready to cruise to a comfortable win and twice we were nearly run down. Poor finishing in front of goal nearly cost us

What was most pleasing was the intent from senior and junior players alike to earn a much needed win that whilst meaningless in terms of ladder position gives the players, and the club as a whole, some small measure of respite

From an individual point of view -

• Gaff rediscovered his mojo and had a positive contribution. Only two players (Kelly and Hunt) had more metres gained
• Sheed was steady at least without being the liability of recent weeks. Six tackles is an improvement
• Hunt rebounded well off half back and pushed forward to be a scoring threat as well. No surprise he had a game high 9 score involvements
• Yeo got through the game and whilst rusty early he stood up when we needed him most late in the game
• Hewett is continuing to improve week to week and his acceleration around stoppages is something we’ve lacked. Great 3rd quarter goal
• Kelly was a driving force in the 3rd quarter in particular but was strong all game. Leading contested possession winner on the ground
• Allen presented all day and took a couple of towering marks. His radar was a bit off though and he left a couple of goals out there
• Duggan was ok I think. Might be better on a rewatch
• Great game from Cripps. One of our best
• Edwards started very well but faded a little. Still some nice signs from a youngster that’s had an interrupted season
• Chesser had a quietish game but he’s learning on the job. That kick inboard during the last quarter is a sign of what he can contribute
• Tough day at the office for Hough trying to keep a leash on Curtis but still had some good moments
• Petch showed enough to keep persevering with as he learns a midfield role
• Witherden was important in an undersized defence
• O’Neill I thought had a decent game. Snapped a nice goal and I thought he went to LDU in the 3rd and helped limit his influence around stoppages. Would have had 2 goals if our forwards had the wherewithal to shepherd on the goal line
• Hurn was sublime. Outstanding effort from the wily veteran to keep Larkey in check
• Darling wound back the clock and looked like the 2018 Darling in the 1st quarter. Nice to see there’s some fight still in him
• Cole had his best game for the year. Was calm under pressure and provided some good run
• The Williams brothers are becoming a pretty decent pairing. Bailey was especially good around the ground with his follow up work despite conceding the hitouts. Compare todays game to R1 when he was quite awful to see how far he’s come on. Jack is steadily coming on as well but should’ve kicked that goal in the 2nd
• Bazzo was a surprise early sub. Wasn’t going badly but he looks like a young guy who’d like to put this year behind him for obvious reasons
• Noah ******* Long. I love this kid
• Maric. See Long. Has a great feel for the game and is going to be a weapon with a couple of preseasons under his belt

Just nice to be talking about a win for a welcome change. Four weeks to go
Wow, great write up.
Cole was one I thought, of a number, really lifted. Jack Williams, in his interview, he comes across as Longs younger brother. We certainly have played the youth and have plenty to look forward to.

Let that be a lesson. Nobody beats the Eagles 17 times in a row.

Positives:
  • JD setting the tone early, lovely from him
  • Hurn’s job as a KPD was unreal. Larkey got two cheapies late, one with Hurn off, and loved himself silly for it. On the plane you get campaigner, got bodied by a bloke older than your losing streak.
  • Bailey. Legend.
  • TK, and Gaff(?!?) going very very well.
  • Hewett, Maric, Long, even JWill had some very nice moments. Pleased with this group, get some more kids and and go again.
  • Cripps, easiest decision in the world to go around again. A tone setter and a fiery bastard who tackles like nobody else in the side.

Nice to get a win. North are dreadful. We’re very bad too but that’s why we have the #1 pick and they have nothing but a coach who doesn’t want to be there.

I think Jetstar have some discount flights home lads, best of luck.

Whats great is Gaff had a good game against one of the few teams that may consider him on the cheap.

As an Everton fan I've become accustomed to players hanging on with a few good games after long periods of poor form. Michael Keane prime example.

The likes of Gaff and Darling still require phasing out as a priority in 2024. Hurn should retire in spite of his job on Larkey. Etc.
Cant agree with the Hurn sentiment. If Barrass does leave, and it seems likely, we will need his experience on the list. The old fella still has it. Our backline experience next year will be Gov, Duggan, Cole and Witherden. Maybe throw Yeo in there. Gov and Yeo struggle to stay on the park, Duggan and Witho are average footballers- not bad, just average. Cole is a small.
Our backline will struggle next year and keeping Hurn on the list for cheap- even as depth is worthwhile IMO. He was excellent yesterday and will most likely be required to help guide our young players next year in what will likely be another steep learning curve.

I know it was only Norf so I'm not giving ahead of myself, but if the footy gods look after us next year with injuries, can definitely see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Assuming they're fit and still with us, adding Ginbey, Culley, Gov, TB, Ryan, Jones and hopefully Reid into the team and it's looking pretty good.

I know it was only Norf so I'm not giving ahead of myself, but if the footy gods look after us next year with injuries, can definitely see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Assuming they're fit and still with us, adding Ginbey, Culley, Gov, TB, Ryan, Jones and hopefully Reid into the team and it's looking pretty good.
Yep, a lot to look forward to I agree. Still plenty of holes in the list and lacking in quality experienced players but with a good run with injury we can be competitive and win a handful of games and build from there.

Culley the forgotten man at the moment. All the talk has been pairing up Reid with Ginbey and Hewett, meanwhile poor old Culley's last full game was 4 goals and a Rising Star nomination.

Culley the forgotten man at the moment. All the talk has been pairing up Reid with Ginbey and Hewett, meanwhile poor old Culley's last full game was 4 goals and a Rising Star nomination.
Culley was looking interesting as a half forward, but he seemed a bit slow on the burst to play midfield. You're right that he's being forgotten.

Goroyals22 thoughts on BBW?

To be honest didn’t pay much attention to him but then I didn’t pay much attention to the game…

Although Oscar Allen deciding to morph into Troy Wilson from wish chucking himself at packs like no one’s business was something that did bring a smile.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Veteran watch. Opposition were base level. A good day for many to show some vintage form. I am dubious it is anywhere near sustainable enough for some to play on.

Gaff seems to have received the message of looking for easy ways to pad his "efficiency" ratio. He looks ahead a lot more as opposed to sideways. He goes deeper more often. His running was back to normal and he contributed nicely. He tries very hard, just doesn't have the speed to be the dynamic eye-catcher. He's been much better for 3 weeks now after a little mid season dip. He is backing it up.

Cripps had a solid day. One major element played in his favour, he played chunks of the game as a loose onballer with his opponent sitting back as a loose defender. This gave him freedom to be the stoppage defender and his tackles showed. He had been so-so for the previous 3 weeks. Need to see him back it up for a few weeks to be comfortable he can go on.

Darling played his best for some time. License to move up the ground really helped. He is not peak Darling but he does provide a nice foil for Allen when he is going like this. It keeps his opponent accountable.

Yeo was Yeo. You can see how limited he is from injuries. He still rips in and all eyes will be on recovery today. Can his body stand up to activity like that?

Hurn was great on Larkey. He was benefitted from extremely poor skills going into North's F50. I didnt see many balls kicked to Larkey's advantage. Hurn is also still a +25m player for the opposition in that his instinct is to wheel 180 and chip backward whenever he takes an intercept mark. A classic example in the 3rd when he marked in front of Larkey on the wing and did not even look up for free players (who were the). He wheeled around automatically and hit someone 25m behind. This gamestyle needs to be removed, it is a shocking example for the kids.

Positive.... Larkey not getting a bag and being able to carry on like he just kicked a 100 for the season.

Larkey had shite delivery, but Hurn showed that old school manning up still has its place at times (hint hint McGovern, Barrass).

Negative ... Will miss Hurn next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was going to say that West Coast really need to watch the Subiaco v East Perth game that was on Saturday to see what teams who play with passion play like. That was a ripper WAFL game, players flogging themselves for their team, really hard game.

But we won, so moot point really...

As much as i really like Baily Williams improvement this year and his around the ground plays, his ruck work is still far off the mark. So many times i saw him win ruck taps that were to our disadvantage. Its like he is happy to just win the tap at the moment with no actual plan to tap it to advantage.

Oh, and can Elliot Yeo become our lifetime tackling coach please?

Last edited:
Gaff seems to have received the message of looking for easy ways to pad his "efficiency" ratio. He looks ahead a lot more as opposed to sideways. He goes deeper more often. His running was back to normal and he contributed nicely. He tries very hard, just doesn't have the speed to be the dynamic eye-catcher. He's been much better for 3 weeks now after a little mid season dip. He is backing it up.
Gaff has been much better the past three weeks which tells me he got way too comfortable knowing he wouldn't be dropped

I know it was only Norf so (I'm not giving head to myself) but if the footy gods look after us next year with injuries, can definitely see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Yeah Tugga it instead

Last edited:
Jayden Hunt, what a pickup. Runs hard all day trying to be creative with or without the ball, attacks, attacks, attacks. Needs a bit more love imo.

IMHO, the big positive out of this game is the game plan... it seems attacking and exciting. A lot of players playing on quickly with really rapid ball movement. With a bit more talent in the side, and a bit more experience under the belt... it's going to be a great style of play.

Negative? Watching the entire team streaming forward, only for Sheed to hold everything up and give the opposition time to get into position. AFL website has Sheed as BOG (based on stats), but actually watching the game he seemed like a liability.

That right there is why I believe Simmo has been harshly talked about and why showing him the door would be a crap decision to just appease those outside the club.
They have been working on this game plan now for 2 years and with the right personnel fit and ready it will stand up.

Add JJ and Ryan back into the side and suddenly we have 5-6 explosive line breakers, given a few young guys will have another preseason under their belts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back