Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Norf

Remove this Banner Ad

Oy vey!

He definitely stat pads a bit but uses it well and is playing phenomenally for his age and experience.

They moved him forward in the last and he was a big contributor to their last quarter resurgance. I had a great view of his snap in the dying minutes that was called a behind. I and pretty much everyone around me thought it was a goal. Didn't look like any part of the ball went over the post.
Agree re the goal. I was sitting right behind it, was highly surprised it wasn't called a goal.

Man I truly hope Chess is a slow burn but atm he is tracking like a bust

I saw some promicing signs on the weekend.

He's tracking like a young fella who hasnt played much football and had injury issues. He was moving well and looking agile providing options or spreading, skills under pressure needs work

Thoughts on Petrucelle recently playing on ball?

Actually starting to hit stoppages at pace and break away. And tackling!

A clear injury run and opportunity we start to see players improve:thumbsu:.

Last edited:
Next year Id like to see Chesser down back and Duggan full time midfield. Duggans one on one defending is too bad to persist with down back

Chesser has the athleticism but not the smarts to win the ball at this point so bring the ball to him by putting him down back. If Duggan struggles in the midfield, put him up for trade at years end

So you are suggesting we trade Duggan as well if he cant play midfield next year.

He's got the best mullet in the team.......come ooooon!

The Wookie says NO !

Oh God Reaction GIF
Cringe Hangover GIF

Last edited:

IMHO, the big positive out of this game is the game plan... it seems attacking and exciting. A lot of players playing on quickly with really rapid ball movement. With a bit more talent in the side, and a bit more experience under the belt... it's going to be a great style of play.

Negative? Watching the entire team streaming forward, only for Sheed to hold everything up and give the opposition time to get into position. AFL website has Sheed as BOG (based on stats), but actually watching the game he seemed like a liability.

Indeed. The approach was very encouraging to see.

Forward half pressure and hitting the scoreboard from turnover through quick ball movement before the opposing defence can set.

After 2018, the Eagles have been continuously amongst the lowest in the competition for tackles inside forward 50, averaging less than 9 per game each year.

Even this year, prior to Sunday's game against North, the club was averaging less than 10 tackles inside 50 each game - the 3rd lowest of all teams.

In this match West Coast managed 26 tackles inside forward 50.

The team had 71 tackles in total - that's 37% of all tackles by the team across the entire ground occurring inside the forward 50 arc.

That's a huge change in style from what we have become accustomed to seeing from this team.

To put it another way, that is the highest inside 50 tackle total of any team since Round 20, 2021 (when premiership-bound Melbourne defeated Gold Coast by 98 points and had 29 such tackles).

It is also the highest number of inside 50 tackles by the club since the 2018 Grand Final (it had 27 that day).

If the foundation of a new gameplan is to be forward pressure and rapid recycling of possession into attack, then I'm all on board.

Veteran watch. Opposition were base level. A good day for many to show some vintage form. I am dubious it is anywhere near sustainable enough for some to play on.

Gaff seems to have received the message of looking for easy ways to pad his "efficiency" ratio. He looks ahead a lot more as opposed to sideways. He goes deeper more often. His running was back to normal and he contributed nicely. He tries very hard, just doesn't have the speed to be the dynamic eye-catcher. He's been much better for 3 weeks now after a little mid season dip. He is backing it up.

Cripps had a solid day. One major element played in his favour, he played chunks of the game as a loose onballer with his opponent sitting back as a loose defender. This gave him freedom to be the stoppage defender and his tackles showed. He had been so-so for the previous 3 weeks. Need to see him back it up for a few weeks to be comfortable he can go on.

Darling played his best for some time. License to move up the ground really helped. He is not peak Darling but he does provide a nice foil for Allen when he is going like this. It keeps his opponent accountable.

Yeo was Yeo. You can see how limited he is from injuries. He still rips in and all eyes will be on recovery today. Can his body stand up to activity like that?

Hurn was great on Larkey. He was benefitted from extremely poor skills going into North's F50. I didnt see many balls kicked to Larkey's advantage. Hurn is also still a +25m player for the opposition in that his instinct is to wheel 180 and chip backward whenever he takes an intercept mark. A classic example in the 3rd when he marked in front of Larkey on the wing and did not even look up for free players (who were the). He wheeled around automatically and hit someone 25m behind. This gamestyle needs to be removed, it is a shocking example for the kids.

Hurn a shocking example to the kids?

Well can honestly say thats the first time I have ever read that about Hurn.

So happy Jack Williams is starting to show his skills.

When he was battling at WAFL level he showed signs he could be good despite not getting much of it.

I still think Winder could be worth a couple of games late to see if he's got something but I've got a feeling his papers may have been stamped.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

You don't see he slows play with ball in hand?

Allows the opposition time to adjust and set-up?

Haven't you noticed our change in game plan about a month ago?

We are playing a two paced style. We are back to controlling the ball more and less run and gun chaos. This helps restrict turnovers in the middle and forward and helps restrict the floggings.

But when the time is right we attack by overlap handballing and drive forward..

You don't play one style all the time during games. No team does as they run out of gas.

Haven't you noticed our change in game plan about a month ago?

We are playing a two paced style. We are back to controlling the ball more and less run and gun chaos. This helps restrict turnovers in the middle and forward and helps restrict the floggings.

But when the time is right we attack by overlap handballing and drive forward..

You don't play one style all the time during games. No team does as they run out of gas.
i do like our current gameplan, but fun me, i wish we would practice our handballs more - we stink at handballs! i watched a game we played circa 2012, and we were sublime at the handball, hitting passes 20+ metres (<---f you America, this is how you spell metre!) away. Nowdays i see us using the loopy over the top hospital pass and direct handballs to players 5 metres away landing at their feet!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So happy Jack Williams is starting to show his skills.

When he was battling at WAFL level he showed signs he could be good despite not getting much of it.

I still think Winder could be worth a couple of games late to see if he's got something but I've got a feeling his papers may have been stamped.

Have a feeling his papers have been stamped since the drunken physical altercation

Him and Trew are obviously at the bottom of Simmo's pecking order

Negative: old bloke sitting behind me with nothing positive to say all match. Looked a bit like if you ordered colonel sanders from Wish.

Jack Williams, Maric copped the “useless” tag ALL match.

Get this is a trying time for all fans at the minute, but these are just a couple of 18/19 year old blokes trying to do their best.

Sometimes I don’t understand why some come to “support” but spend the day ropeable because a 19 year old missed a set shot.

I hear ya…….usually these “football experts” are quite liquored up by halftime and are carrying on like a washing machine - I wear ear pods to drown out the comments around me or I may cause a big disagreement

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hear ya…….usually these “football experts” are quite liquored up by halftime and are carrying on like a washing machine - I wear ear pods to drown out the comments around me or I may cause a big disagreement

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Half time? What kind of ammos do you sit near? I'm liquored up before the game.

Reckon if Hewett had kicked that goal early in the 4th we'd be fired up and flat track.

Felt like Nlrth should've won from that point.

Look if we beat one of Ess, Freo, WB or Adel in the run home it will be pretty epic and may be worth losing pick 1 for.

In reality... we'll prob lose all by 10-20 goals coz they're all gunning for the 8

Please be Freo. I can't stand they're catching up in the h2h lol

Negatives:
I think North genuinely tanked the first quarter. Their set ups watching from a box were terrible beyond belief and their kicking particularly long kicking and kicking to the forward line was always to the benefit of the Eagles. The setups weren't along the lines that North have played in the past few weeks. Their second quarter was similar but they were dragged into it by Curtis who was brilliant. In the third I think West Coast stepped it up and played a much better brand and were the genuinely better side in a real contest.

For the first time i've seen in the clubs history I genuinely believe we tanked the second half of the fourth quarter. A few positional changes were made and more importantly Kelly and Hurn were put on the bench for over 8+ minutes together at the same time which then coincided with North having their run on and then when Hurn came on even though he was fresh all of a sudden his player gets off the leash. If it wasn't for Yeo in the last couple of minutes the club would have lost the game.

We won the game but the above paragraph to me was the single most disappointing thing i've seen from the club this year. Who was in control of the bench and kept those players off the park. Can't call bullshit and say they couldn't get on the field either due to goals being scored etc.

There were plenty of positives but I would temper expectations as I believe the club was playing against a side who was playing to lose or large parts of the match from a coaching and tactical level.

Negatives:
I think North genuinely tanked the first quarter. Their set ups watching from a box were terrible beyond belief and their kicking particularly long kicking and kicking to the forward line was always to the benefit of the Eagles. The setups weren't along the lines that North have played in the past few weeks. Their second quarter was similar but they were dragged into it by Curtis who was brilliant. In the third I think West Coast stepped it up and played a much better brand and were the genuinely better side in a real contest.

For the first time i've seen in the clubs history I genuinely believe we tanked the second half of the fourth quarter. A few positional changes were made and more importantly Kelly and Hurn were put on the bench for over 8+ minutes together at the same time which then coincided with North having their run on and then when Hurn came on even though he was fresh all of a sudden his player gets off the leash. If it wasn't for Yeo in the last couple of minutes the club would have lost the game.

We won the game but the above paragraph to me was the single most disappointing thing i've seen from the club this year. Who was in control of the bench and kept those players off the park. Can't call bullshit and say they couldn't get on the field either due to goals being scored etc.

There were plenty of positives but I would temper expectations as I believe the club was playing against a side who was playing to lose or large parts of the match from a coaching and tactical level.
I thought this too when i saw Larkey miss the two sitters in the first.

Also, what were we thinking subbing off our only tall defender in the second quarter? thats full on tank-city there

Last edited:
Negatives:

I had similar thoughts watching this too.

Coming into this match West Coast were dead last in both scores for and against during first quarters - and not just last for contested possessions, but -17 below the competition average per game.

For the Eagles to win contested possessions by +17 in that first quarter, with the squad that was selected, does indeed raise questions of the intent of the opposition.

I thought this too when i saw Larkey miss the two sitters in the first.

Also, what were we thinking subbing off our only tall defender in the second quarter? thats full on tank-city there

I don't think the intention to tank goes as far as telling players to throw the game. That's the sort of culture damage that would be incredibly difficult to come back from.

Changing set ups, structures, bench manipulation, player positioning are levers coaches can pull to affect outcomes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back