AFL Player #29: Jake "Bull" Kelly šŸ‚

Remove this Banner Ad

Many comments from people who don't understand that not every player in the best-22 can be a superstar and some of them simply need to be hard-working role players.
If we had more hardworking role players with a massive tank weā€™d probably be better off than a quarter of brilliance from a so-called star.

Setterfield does not tag.
You could go with Caldwell or even Archie but as a pure negating role with limited focus on finding the footy Kelly would have the attitude and scope to do it.
Not that I think we will do it.
Setterfield played a handy defensive role on Oliver earlier this year.
Caldwell I think has the discipline but Archie has tried and failed numerous times to run with players this year and I just can't see it personally.

AFL all-time leader in sprint efforts in a match (51 again Sydney this year) says to me his tank is probably fine.
Haven't heard this stat before. If he can keep up with the elite running midfielders in the AFL then it may work. I'm not sure it's something I'd be keen to go with considering how many genuine mids we have though...

When we got Kelly we'd just lost Saad, McGrath was playing midfield and Redman was in a slump where he was struggling to cover the ground.

I thought it was a sound decision at the time, and by and large he's done what he was brought in for. The dynamic of our defence has changed a bit since then however he should never have been moved up the field considering his 1 wood is a lock down defender.

I think calls for him to be delisted are a bit rich but the sooner he becomes depth the better off we'll be.

Edit: we lost Saad 12 months prior, premise of the post still stands though

Haven't heard this stat before. If he can keep up with the elite running midfielders in the AFL then it may work. I'm not sure it's something I'd be keen to go with considering how many genuine mids we have though...

If you dig around in the tracker section of the AFL app you can find all the single match records and a Top 25 for each.

Kelly is a pretty solid athlete for his size

How quickly we are to forget we yearned for blue collar players only a few years ago. If Iā€™m the list manager, Iā€™m keeping him and he can fight it out for the 6th spot in defence.
good back up to Andy imo.
but can't play both unless there's a side with two extremely dangerous smalls.

Setterfield played a handy defensive role on Oliver earlier this year.
Caldwell I think has the discipline but Archie has tried and failed numerous times to run with players this year and I just can't see it personally.
I do not like Archie in the midfield but he did do well on Crips and someone else the next week (my memory is gone). He is okay going with someone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out injured.

So, who knows if he will be back, he shouldn't be.
He is contracted for next year and unlike Stewart is not out injured all year so he will be you would think.

Funny how people love the soft "glamour " boys but hate the average blokes who want to do the team stuff.
It would be funny if it wasn't so deeply engrained in this board and the club generally. I'm so sick to death of the whole "we need more stars" "we don't pick enough blue chip players". And then when we have actual blue chip players we want to kick them out the door because they're only 90% good.

What we need and have always needed is the solid hard working blokes that make the space for a blue chip to work into. But instead of focusing on upgrading the bottom 15% of the list, we are picking on the 20th best player because he isn't in the top 2.5% of players in the league (5% = 40 players, aka AA40, 2.5% = AA team).

He is contracted for next year and unlike Stewart is not out injured all year so he will be you would think.
I was more thinking in line with his concussion/s.
Not sure if Jake would consider pulling the pin himself.

If we had more hardworking role players with a massive tank weā€™d probably be better off than a quarter of brilliance from a so-called star.
A bit of both. We don't have the Danger/Petracca/Dusty/Bont that you seem to need to win flags either.

If we won a flag people would be talking about Merrett that way too. Saad or McKenna (or McGrath) would've been lauded as our JJ. Walla as our Weightman or Papley or that punk at Collingwood. There's no reason why Tom Mitchell should be a Brownlow Medallist and not Darcy Parish. You get a reputational boost from playing in those big games.

What we lack is the framework for those players to shine. We get a ferrari and make it do the work of a prime mover because we lack in the prime mover department. Then complain that the ferrari isn't designed for long haul freight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back