Preview Round 20 - Essendon Bombers vs Sydney Swans - Saturday, July 29th - 7:25 pm - Disney is Still Milking the s**t out of it Stadium

Season on the line - How we feeling?

• It's just a little form slump, it's still good, it's still good.

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • It's all over people, we don't have a prayer!

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • * you and your stupid Simpsons references.

Votes: 15 30.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ESSENDON v SYDNEY SWANS

Saturday July 29, 7:25pm at Marvel Stadium

BOMBERS

B: A. McGrath, B. Zerk-Thatcher, J. Kelly
HB: M. Redman, J. Laverde, D. Heppell
C: S. Durham, A. Perkins, N. Martin
HF: J. Caldwell, P. Wright, N. Cox
F: M. Guelfi, K. Langford, B. Hobbs
FOLL: A. Phillips, D. Parish, Z. Merrett - C

I/C: W. Snelling, N. Hind, N. Bryan, J. Menzie
EMG: E. Tsatas, K. Baldwin, A. Davey Jnr, A. McDonald-Tipungwuti

In: J. Menzie
OUT: J. Ridley (Injured), J. Stringer (Injured)

Interesting teams

I wonder if Cox is starting back and Hind fwd

Or we just push Cox back from a wing when Zerk or Lav are off the ground

Im leaning towards the first. I think they liked what they saw from hind at half fwd last week

He was hardly lightning

Ran a 10.94 from memory, he was a better 400m type from memory

There are guys who are running 10.6 pre AFL and then there speed doesnt even standout that much once in AFL

And then theres the significant size hes added along with not training it as much as a track and field athlete does

Ive no issue with Mcgrath think hes a future AA small defender or atleast in the squad.
No way
lacks class and poise with the footy
a good honest small defender- nothing more, nothing less
overall disappointment at pick 1 unfortunately

Hind, Tippa, Shiel, Stterfield and now Weideman

Weve dropped Kelly, Tippa, Snelling, Heppell, Weid and Shiel throughout this year

Also why would you pick 18 yr old kids when your in finals contention let alone sitting 5th on the ladder?
30 years ago we played kids with talent- pretty special year
if kids have vfl form and there is an afl opportunity they should play

No way
lacks class and poise with the footy
a good honest small defender- nothing more, nothing less
overall disappointment at pick 1 unfortunately
I've been waiting patiently for him to break out. He'd been played out of his natural position for a few years until this year though, so maybe he's getting his groove back. I don't see a high-range draft pick when I see him play though.

I
f kids have vfl form and there is an afl opportunity they should play
Problem is they haven’t shown good enough form…most of them have things they need to work on even in the VFL…these will be glaring holes in the senior. Baldwin the only real exception

30 years ago we played kids with talent- pretty special year
if kids have vfl form and there is an afl opportunity they should play
31 years ago they were all mostly playing reserves. Granted they were playing alongside TD and Madden so some pretty good mentors run around with, but they were 18/19 year olds who Sheedy kept in the reserves.

I have no idea how we're justifying our back line selection when Sydney have one of the taller forward lines with Franklin, McDonald and Amartey plus you add in Heeney as a legit presence in the air. Beyond the guys named in defence we have 2 guys in the team who can help out in Cox and Langford, and I don't want Langford anywhere near the backline.

If our midfield don't bring serious heat and clean delivery is allowed into the Swans forward line, we could be in for a long night. Our rucks are going to need to push back hard to help out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no idea how we're justifying our back line selection when Sydney have one of the taller forward lines with Franklin, McDonald and Amartey plus you add in Heeney as a legit presence in the air. Beyond the guys named in defence we have 2 guys in the team who can help out in Cox and Langford, and I don't want Langford anywhere near the backline.

If our midfield don't bring serious heat and clean delivery is allowed into the Swans forward line, we could be in for a long night. Our rucks are going to need to push back hard to help out.

The only potential reasoning I can see is if Cox plays back, even then I'd rather see Baldwin and Cox playing back with Ridley and Heppell out.

Baldwin one of the few who's been consistently good at VFL level and playing in a position that has a clear opportunity at AFL level.

On the plus side, if we lose this we're almost guaranteed to miss finals, which means the club is unlikely to have a meltdown and sack the coach next year when we don't look like making finals.

Bryan staying in is nice, but if he's not playing majority of the game in the ruck it's pointless, hopefully we see Phillips playing forward, Cox playing back, and Bryan in the ruck.

The only potential reasoning I can see is if Cox plays back, even then I'd rather see Baldwin and Cox playing back with Ridley and Heppell out.

Baldwin one of the few who's been consistently good at VFL level and playing in a position that has a clear opportunity at AFL level.

On the plus side, if we lose this we're almost guaranteed to miss finals, which means the club is unlikely to have a meltdown and sack the coach next year when we don't look like making finals.

Bryan staying in is nice, but if he's not playing majority of the game in the ruck it's pointless, hopefully we see Phillips playing forward, Cox playing back, and Bryan in the ruck.
I'd rather see Bryan get 70-80% TOG and play a 50/50 split between ruck and forward of that time.

I'd rather see Bryan get 70-80% TOG and play a 50/50 split between ruck and forward of that time.

I'd rather it be most of that TOG% spent in the ruck with Phillips playing as the forward who carries the ruck minutes while Bryan rests. It's not like we have any particularly star ruckmen coming up so it's a good opportunity to give him a run of games against guys that are around his level. Thought he did OK against Stanley when given the responsibility.

Should've brought in Voss right ant555
Well that is the spot he may be able to actually play.
I think they may have already put a line through him .

Funny how Hep's inclusion, week after week, doesn't rate a mention anymore - we've been conditioned!!

My enthusiasm reading through the team dies as soon as I see him named at HB. It’s getting to Goddard like circumstances now, where he gets a gig unconditionally every week & we all k ow he’s not up to it. Shits me to no end.

What is your obsession and this entire boards obsession with wanting to be young but not good?

Despite what the club says, we really aren't that young.

If Ridley & Stringer weren't out from injuries/if we played them last week, we'd be older than Sydney. And if Buddy is a late out for Buller, they'll be older. This is the team that played in the GF last year.

We have 16 guys on the list that have played less than 5 games this year that are all 23 or under.

Our list might be young, but the team we put out each week isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back