Preview Round 16 - Essendon Bombers vs Port Adelaide - Saturday, July 1st - 7:25 pm - MCG - Ridley's Revenge

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

silk

Premium Platinum
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Round 16 sees Essendon's first return match of the year, taking on the resurgent Port Adelaide at the MCG, and this will be interesting. Port Adelaide has been playing amazingly, and has one of the best records in the competition for games played and Marvel Stadium... but this one is at the 'G, thank goodness. I don't know how to feel going into this game; on the one hand, I'd like us to finally break the finals hoodoo, but only the other hand we've seen Essendon get ahead of themselves so many times, that I'm nervous.

In saying, I'm dubbing this round Ridley's Revenge and I hope to goodness we thump these guys because that bloody cheap shot from Rioli likely cost the last game against them.

The Round That Was

Hot Fuzz Shame GIF

I would have loved to win on the weekend, but I'm honestly not fussed we lost. A trip to Perth after the bye, against a good team that copped a lot of slack throughout the week for the awful road performance the week before. Was always going to be a tough win. It's not a big enough sample size to be conclusive, but the 7 losses out of 7 for teams returning from the bye against teams that played the week before is telling. Let's keep this trend going though.

FREMANTLE 3.3 8.7 12.8 14.9 (93)
ESSENDON 2.3 5.3 6.5 9.7 (61)

GOALS
Fremantle: Jackson 3, Amiss 2, Walters 2, Frederick 2, Brayshaw, Johnson, Schultz, Serong, Switkowski
Essendon: Caldwell, Guelfi, Hobbs, Langford, Martin, Menzie, Merrett, Parish, Stringer

BEST
Fremantle: Serong, Jackson, Pearce, Brayshaw, Henry, Johnson
Essendon: Merrett, Martin, Hobbs, Parish, Ridley

INJURIES
Fremantle: Nil
Essendon: Zerk-Thatcher (head knock)

LATE CHANGES
Fremantle: Nil
Essendon: Jye Menzie replaced in selected side by Nick Bryan

SUBSTITUTES
Fremantle: Sam Sturt (replaced Alex Pearce in fourth quarter)
Essendon: Jye Menzie (replaced Nick Bryan in third quarter)

Crowd: 43,063 at the Optus Stadium

Last Time We Met

An unfortunate 5 points loss, that was partially attributed to Ridley being taken out but a dirty hit from Rioli. Even then you could argue we were lucky to be that close as Port's inaccuracy helped us a lot.

Watch It Bernie Sanders GIF by MSNBC

PORT ADELAIDE 3.4 5.11 9.16 12.20 (92)
ESSENDON 6.1 9.1 11.3 13.9 (87)

GOALS
Port Adelaide: Byrne-Jones 2, Dixon 2, Rioli 2, McEntee, Marshall, Powell-Pepper, Boak, Finlayson, Rozee
Essendon: Stringer 2, Langford 2, Weideman 2, Perkins 2, Caldwell, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Hobbs, Merrett, Menzie

BEST
Port Adelaide: Butters, Rozee, Bergman, Boak, Finlayson
Essendon: Merrett, Stringer, Draper, Parish, McGrath

INJURIES
Port Adelaide: Jonas (chest soreness), Butters (right knee)
Essendon: Ridley (concussion)

SUBSTITUTES
Port Adelaide: Francis Evans (replaced Tom Jonas in the third quarter)
Essendon: Jye Menzie (replaced Jordan Ridley in the second quarter)

Crowd: 36,247 at Adelaide Oval

Team Selection

Possible Outs:

BZT (Inj)
Weid (Dropped)
Bryan (Not sure why he can't elevate his game, dominates VFL but struggles at AFl. I'd rather keep him in the team though, and give him more chances)

Possible Ins:
Davey (We need some speed)
Mass
Hind
Draper
Baldwin

My Tip

I think the curse of the bye will continue and we'll win by 20+

Last edited:

My first Melbourne game since pre-covid. The boys will be pumped!

We really need to lift after last nights flat performance against Freo... but it was post the bye and over in WA so somewhat an expected loss. In our favour for this match we will get Port post bye, and it will be over here at the G which should suit our running game...
Early call I'll go;-

OUT: Kelly, Weideman, Bryan
IN: Hind, Menzie, Draper

Laverde Zerk Redman
Heppell Ridley McGrath
Martin Merrett Durham
Perkins Langford Guelfi
Stringer 2MP Hobbs

Draper Caldwell Parish

Bench: Snelling Menzie Hind Phillips
SUB: Cox

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually will Zerk be OK to go - came off with a headknock last night and these days everyone conservative with these types of things...was he concussed..??
He went back on after the head knock, no concussion protocols required.

He then came off again with a groin issue.

We’ve got to fix to the structure of the side up. Too slow in the forward and backline at the moment. Kelly and heppell can’t be in the same backline and 2 rucks plus wright and weid, has us too top heavy.
That's interesting, because we've played Kelly and Heppell together since Langford went forward in about Round 3, and we've played either 2 rucks and 1 tall forward, or 2 rucks and 2 forwards, with one of them being subbed off for a small forward or small defender almost every week. That's our preferred set up that has won us most of our games 🤔

I do think the structure is a bit messed up, but it's more to do with the number of smalls in each part of the ground – in particular we dropped Menzie (fwd) for Parish (mid), and D'Ambrosio (sub fwd/def) for Menzie (fwd), so effectively 7.5 forwards down to 6.5, while the midfield has increased by 1.

That should mean that Hobbs (or Caldwell) were playing as a pressure forward, but that's not where they play their best footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back