Preview Round 20 - Essendon Bombers vs Sydney Swans - Saturday, July 29th - 7:25 pm - Disney is Still Milking the s**t out of it Stadium

Season on the line - How we feeling?

• It's just a little form slump, it's still good, it's still good.

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • It's all over people, we don't have a prayer!

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • * you and your stupid Simpsons references.

Votes: 15 30.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ESSENDON v SYDNEY SWANS

Saturday July 29, 7:25pm at Marvel Stadium

BOMBERS

B: A. McGrath, B. Zerk-Thatcher, J. Kelly
HB: M. Redman, J. Laverde, D. Heppell
C: S. Durham, A. Perkins, N. Martin
HF: J. Caldwell, P. Wright, N. Cox
F: M. Guelfi, K. Langford, B. Hobbs
FOLL: A. Phillips, D. Parish, Z. Merrett - C

I/C: W. Snelling, N. Hind, N. Bryan, J. Menzie
EMG: E. Tsatas, K. Baldwin, A. Davey Jnr, A. McDonald-Tipungwuti

In: J. Menzie
OUT: J. Ridley (Injured), J. Stringer (Injured)

silk

Premium Platinum
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Round 20 sees us play the Sydney Swans for the first time this year at our home ground, and not the pos stadium where we always get screwed by the umpires, but it’s ok, cause optics are more important SGC. Recent history suggests that whoever had the home side advantage wins, with the home side being the winner in each of our last 10 games.

How many of our games with Sydney have had dodgy endings? Not always in Sydney’s favour either. The Gary Rohan “mark”, the more action than a Gold Coast strip club pole dance; and going back a bit further, Goodes missing the goal after a dodgy free, Mark McVeigh’s goal after an out-of-bounds kick, Courtney Dempsey playing on when he marked on the 50 with 2 seconds left.

I’m not going to waste my effort typing about the free ride Sydney got thanks to their Cherry Cola allowance. Instead, I’m going to say that I and many Essendon supporters are somewhat happy to see Buddy Franklin, arguably our number one tormentor, retire. I know they will roll it out one more time, but just maybe those… See You Next Tuesdays at Fox Footy will also retire that Cale Hooker, clip you know the one where they for some reason mock a player making a huge effort to catch someone who has a lead on them.

The Round That Was

130f8d79-6f3b-4622-91ba-5053e03c3771_text.gif

I should be upset about this game. It was a crap game for us overall, but I was not that bothered. Partially because I turned off halfway; I hate watching the Bulldogs play at the best of times.

As a club and as a supporter group, we need to learn to appreciate what we’ve achieved this season. Finals don’t matter; we know that better than anyone. Every time we make finals, it’s as a low-ranked club in poor form on their last legs for the season. Last night was another example of what happens when your fitness is below par. We are not capable of running out a season, and sides that can run beat us. As much as I hate those cheating Dogs right now; they are a good running team.

Brad has said all season; taper your goddamn expectations (sic), because even if we play finals, we have a long way to go. And I agreed with him, and honestly think that as a club and supporter base, we need to be prepared to accept that next year, we might be a bottom 4 team again; but it won’t matter. Building good culture is hard; destroying culture to build it again is even harder.

ESSENDON 3.2 5.3 6.5 7.7 (49)
WESTERN BULLDOGS 1.3 7.5 9.7 13.12 (90)

GOALS
Essendon: Wright 3, Langford 2, Merrett, Guelfi
Western Bulldogs: Ugle-Hagan 3, Weightman 3, Bontempelli 2, Scott, Naughton, West, Baker, Treloar

BEST
Essendon: Ridley, Martin, Langford, Merrett, Parish
Western Bulldogs: Bontempelli, Liberatore, Smith, Treloar, Daniel

INJURIES
Essendon: Ridley (right quad)
Western Bulldogs: Nil

SUBSTITUTES
Essendon: Nick Hind (replaced Nick Bryan in the third quarter)
Western Bulldogs: Bailey Williams (replaced Oskar Baker in the final quarter)

Crowd: 43,634

Sydney on the other hand, hasn’t played yet; maybe I’ll update this once they have, but probably not, cause I don’t care enough about them. Most likely they will win, because Freo’s only aim this season was to beat us, and with that done, they haven’t anything else to play for. (Called it!)

FREMANTLE 2.1 5.1 9.2 12.4 (76)
SYDNEY 6.2 10.5 13.7 16.9 (105)

GOALS
Fremantle: Schultz 4, Walters 2, Amiss, Brayshaw, Frederick, Sturt, Switkowski, Treacy
Sydney: Franklin 3, Hayward 3, McDonald 2, Mills 2, Papley 2, Heeney 2, Gulden, Warner

BEST
Fremantle: Serong, Schultz, Jackson, Ryan, Brayshaw, Henry
Sydney: Parker, Franklin, Rowbottom, Hayward, Papley, Gulden

INJURIES
Fremantle: Nil
Sydney: Nil

SUBSTITUTES
Fremantle: Ethan Stanley (replaced Matt Johnson at three-quarter time)
Sydney: Ryan Clarke (replaced Joel Amartey in the fourth quarter)

The Last Time We Met

what-huh.gif

We won! Round 16 last year we beat the eventual losing Grand Finalist by 9 points at the MCG. No wonder they were as useless as a screendoor on a battleship that sunny September day.

In the end, it was Nick Hind with a scrubby match-sealing goal with less than a minute left. It was Luke Parker’s 250th… you know the guy we didn’t pick because Ariel Steinberg was available… (Don’t @ me, I know 8 more people were also chosen before Parker.) so it was kinda nice to spoil someone else’s milestone celebration for a change.

ESSENDON 2.2 7.2 9.3 15.5 (95)
SYDNEY 5.2 7.6 9.14 12.14 (86)

GOALS
Essendon: Merrett 3, Stringer 2, Wright 2, Durham, Heppell, Jones, Hobbs, Kelly, Hind, Redman, Langford
Sydney: Warner 3, Franklin 2, Reid 2, Heeney 2, Hayward, Papley, Mills

BEST
Essendon: Merrett, Hind, Heppell, D’Ambrosio, Redman, Kelly, Wright, Stringer
Sydney: Warner, Parker, Papley, Franklin, Gulden

INJURIES
Essendon: None
Sydney: None

SUBSTITUTES
Essendon: Andrew Phillips (unused)
Sydney: Ryan Clarke (unused)

The Selection Table

Possible Outs:
Ridley 😢 (Inj) - Ridley is one of our most important players.. Him being a likely out again sucks.
Stringer - My quote from the game day thread after the first 5 minutes “If Stringer plays the whole game this way we will win.” He was never seen again.
Perkins - Why is an auto selection? - His season so far has been disappointing and has been really struggling lately.
Bryan - I can see the flaws in Bryan’s game, but I don’t understand how Bryan gets only 31% gametime to prove himself.
Snelling - Not doing enough, would prefer both Menzies and Davey in.

Possible Ins:
Sadly, despite the competitive game, not any real standouts in the VFL this week; which I didn’t watch, so borrowing from others here.
Waganeen - In solid form, would like to see him get a run in the ones soon
Davey - Impactful when he gets it -
Walla - Would offer more than Snelling and Stringer surely
Weideman - Was out best in defence so could come in for Ridley
Mass - Got a lot of the ball but seems his usage wasn’t great.
Tsatas - Prefer him to continue in the VFL, but not sure how long the Essendong Marketing Club will be able to resist “the story” that comes with playing him.

My Tip

If we lose this one; we won’t be playing finals this year imo.. That might not be a bad thing, but I don’t think we will lose this one. Sydney will be playing interstate again, 6 after a trip to WA, and have one day less to recover.

giphy.gif

Crush Em. Essendon by 15

Last edited:
Some guys are having zero impact and enough is enough. Change something.

Finals is gone now so let’s have a look at a few players.

Out: Ridley (inj), Stringer (inj) Snelling, Guelfi, Perkins, Bryan

In: Baldwin, Menzie, Tsatas, Davey, Wanganeen, Voss

Laverde Baldwin Kelly
Redman BZT McGrath
Durham Parish Martin
Langford Voss Davey
Menzie Wright Wanganeen
Phillips Merrett Tsatas
Hobbs Caldwell Heppell Cox
Hind

Out: Emotionally checked in.
In: Emotionally checked out.