Training AFLW 2023 Preseason Thread - starts Monday 29/5!

Remove this Banner Ad

Can not believe the AFL are still talking 10 game season. They just have to bite the bullet and make it 17 games. Stop stuffing around and start building it.

Is the AFL actually serious about the AFLW ? I know the caution around growing too quickly is real but proposing a 10 game comp for the foreseeable future ?
They have to run two divisions if they do.

Is the AFL actually serious about the AFLW ? I know the caution around growing too quickly is real but proposing a 10 game comp for the foreseeable future ?
At this rate the CBA will end up split again so the boys can lock it in long term and the girls can keep asking for a full season every 12 months

It's one thing for the boys to be playing on a rolled over CBA after it expired last year, but right now as Maddy Prespakis said at the press conference the other day, they are in the middle of pre-season training and don't know which 10 of the other 17 clubs we will be playing this year so don't know what to prepare for.

When you're on a limited hours and shortened pre-season and wanting to watch cuts of your upcoming opponents or whatever, it can be a pretty big hindrance on an individual level. Might end up wasting time watching cuts of someone you won't ever play again (maybe that person retires before the 2024 season).

For the coaches same problem I guess, coz in theory you could change your entire game plan on the basis of not playing that one club that does something differently.

Bit unfair really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does it seem like the AFL is unwilling to walk a km in the ladies’ shoes?

Surely it’s simple.

AFLW players want a 17 game season, you grant the players a 17 game season.
Sometimes it feels like AFLW is being used to fill the gap of SoO, AFLX, and official preseason competitions. Like a shorter format played in the off-season to try and keep people engaged while the boys have a break, rather than a premier competition in its own right that currently lacks integrity.

This is interesting:

The league has committed to rule changes that will incentivise scoring and ball movement without leading to blowouts between the competition’s heavyweights and second-season sides.

Some teams made 80 interchanges a game in contests much shorter than the men’s competition, with the league to restrict the use of runners and extend quarter lengths by two minutes.

Quarter lengths would grow from 15 minutes and time on to at least 17 minutes plus time on, with interchange capped at a maximum of 55 per game.

That consistent match day experience will see the league using only 26 official venues this year – down from 39 last year – to ensure AFLW players play on elite surfaces with stadiums that fit the demand for spectators.

When I first read something about rule changes I was thinking it was going to diverge even more from the men's game and start with gimmicky bullshit. But longer games and proportional rotations with the length of the game makes sense.

Bringing more fatigue into it should help open the game up a bit towards the end of quarters and probably forces another level of training standards, professionalism and pre-season length by itself.

I reckon the AFL is probably cautious about a significant economic contraction/recession. Maybe they're more willing to be conservative at the moment about the AFLW than the men's cash cow.

Is there an injury list available for the women? How are the talls travelling?
Haven’t seen any injury updates, the closest we get to that is the VFLW team announcement when some players are omitted with injury and it gets mentioned.

I was tracking it weekly in the spreadsheet but I’ve been busy for the last couple of weeks and totally forgot. Might do that today along with the pin game data entry 🤔

Remove this Banner Ad

Back