AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2023 [GF: North vs Brisbane @ Ikon Park, Sunday 3 December @ 2:30pm - NM 27 - 44 BL]

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is the prelim at ikon

I get the grand final being there which is in the contract but the prelim should be Arden st
?!? I'm sorry, but apart from being out spiritual home, it's an awful venue. No stand, little shade, awkward as all get out. It is barely functional as an amateur ground. Come on, you are smarter than this. Arden is good for training and regular season games until the AFLW gets more popular at which point it is training only.

?!? I'm sorry, but apart from being out spiritual home, it's an awful venue. No stand, little shade, awkward as all get out. It is barely functional as an amateur ground. Come on, you are smarter than this. Arden is good for training and regular season games until the AFLW gets more popular at which point it is training only.
We’ve played our homes games there shouldn’t stop now in a prelim

We also played a final there v Freo in the last summer season.
First week against Freo, we were never going to get more than 2500-3000 spectators so Arden Street was adequate, but if the AFL are expecting (or at least hoping) to get more than 3000 then Arden Street doesn’t fit the bill.

Capacity at Arden st is 4000

If they aren’t getting a decent amount more then they shouldn’t move

Looking forward to seeing the final attendance tally
The AFL announced earlier in the season what grounds will be used during the finals (TW will know more than me) and Arden Street wasn't listed, because it has a limited capacity and there isn't any seating.

It's not a ground that should be used during finals.

The AFL announced earlier in the season what grounds will be used during the finals (TW will know more than me) and Arden Street wasn't listed, because it has a limited capacity and there isn't any seating.

It's not a ground that should be used during finals.
Actually all Melb finals are to be played at ikon - so it wasn’t only our club that was affected

Actually all Melb finals are to be played at ikon - so it wasn’t only our club that was affected
Yep. Basically, all the Victorian AFLW clubs play at grounds during the regular season that are inadequate for the finals.

I'm not sure you can complain about the club not hosting a final when the club is saying that the ground isn't up to scratch and needs 400k to fix it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That previous finals were played at Arden doesn't mean it is suitable for finals then or now. It was a mistake in the past and would be a mistake this year and in the future.
I don’t think it was a mistake, although from memory the food trucks were much more limited that day. Our aim should be to find out what is required to make it suitable to hold a final in the future and to try and meet that standard. The atmosphere at Arden St is better than Princes Park in my opinion.

I don’t think it was a mistake, although from memory the food trucks were much more limited that day. Our aim should be to find out what is required to make it suitable to hold a final in the future and to try and meet that standard. The atmosphere at Arden St is better than Princes Park in my opinion.
If we could get more seating around the ground it would help heaps in going towards getting a final played there...

If we could get more seating around the ground it would help heaps in going towards getting a final played there...
I’m not overly fussed by seating but I suspect you’re right, I like sitting on the grass. However some branches need to be pruned and there should be an option for undercover viewing for some protection from the rain/sun and if they could make some kind of wind break, that can get a bit much at times.

Grandstands should be the first priority to build along with the resurfacing of the oval
The biggest issue is that trees are going to have to be removed and from memory when the new admin building was built North had to put in some more trees to replace the ones that were taken down. So where to put in a grandstand without it affecting the trees is the biggest issue.

The atmosphere at Arden St is better than Princes Park in my opinion.
Well, yes. Unfortunately atmosphere isn't enough. There is atmosphere down at The Courthouse when North plays well. Needs to be more accessible: better access for people with disabilities and their families, a stand for those that don't want to sit on the grass, public transport needs to come closer too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back