Toast Warren Tredrea - Elected to the Port Board (Football discussion only)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm at the stage where I can never have confidence in anything involving Port. It feels like we're playing another home final against a banged up team.
All the signs suggest Warren will win, but right up until the announcement I’ll worry that we’ll be disappointed, just like so many other times over the last few years.

Yeah but at least they can pretend Ken was a better option than Adem Yze (until we play Richmond).

The number of times I’ve had a cultist hit me with something along the lines of, “who would you get? go on. tell us. you’re such an expert. tell us specifically who you’d get to replace Ken”, in the belief it’s anything approaching a gotcha.

It doesn’t matter whether you suggest an experienced coach, any number of untried assistants, or go with ‘the best possible applicant after a fair and open interview process’, they’re convinced old mate is the absolute best option and it’s simply a matter of patience and luck before he inevitably delivers a dynasty.

My lord, that "who else are you gonna get" argument is quite possibly the most frustrating, non sensical, counter point I think I've ever heard in any debate ever!

I've had it with people before, it's tantamount to arguing with an actual brick wall.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The question I ask in rebuttal is - so when would be an appropriate time for a club replace a coach then?

As if the argument held any water, we'd be seeing coaches with tenure like state government middle management bureaucrats and no upturn in outcome for the clubs that do move a coach on

How dumb are people? Loved Aber when he burst onto the scene as a 17 year old, wonderful player and club great but...........he was literally on the Board when we almost went under. I understand the pillars were put in place before idiot Koch arrived however Aber was a director before that.
In saying that, Hinkley is in his twelfth year. Some people are scarily dumb.

I'm pretty certain that when Choco was last reappointed, after it was inevitable that we needed to secure a new coach, and then he was sacked later that year after nine losses in a row and odd flippant comments, Abernethy was the one that said after the reappointment that Choco was the most credentialed coach and thus it was the right decision to reappoint him. I just felt that Abernethy and the board at that time were reluctant to risk change. Abernethy was and is one of my all-time favourite Port players, but I just could not vote for him for another term on the board.

The question I ask in rebuttal is - so when would be an appropriate time for a club replace a coach then?

As if the argument held any water, we'd be seeing coaches with tenure like state government middle management bureaucrats and no upturn in outcome for the clubs that do move a coach on
Simple.

Hinkley should have been replaced after another embarrassing finals loss. Not a fan of sacking during a season though.

Those people think that “who are you going to get?” is a massive flex.

It’s not. They’re literally admitting that they don’t know enough about the topic to have an opinion on it. How many of these people do you think would have considered Craig McRae or Adam Kingsley?

The number of times I’ve had a cultist hit me with something along the lines of, “who would you get? go on. tell us. you’re such an expert. tell us specifically who you’d get to replace Ken”, in the belief it’s anything approaching a gotcha.

It doesn’t matter whether you suggest an experienced coach, any number of untried assistants, or go with ‘the best possible applicant after a fair and open interview process’, they’re convinced old mate is the absolute best option and it’s simply a matter of patience and luck before he inevitably delivers a dynasty.

This is 100% correct.

All the ones I’ve encountered seriously said no to Alastair Clarkson and Damien Hardwick when they were available.

Those people think that “who are you going to get?” is a massive flex.

It’s not. They’re literally admitting that they don’t know enough about the topic to have an opinion on it. How many of these people do you think would have considered Craig McRae or Adam Kingsley?

I think the worst part is, Koch has been pretty successful in spreading that, "little battler club playing in the big leagues" mantra that when you do suggest a Dimma, or Mcrae often it's "oh they wouldn't seriously consider port"

Which inevitably feeds into the "we are so lucky to have Ken" mindset.

IMG_8298.gif

I'll go to the grave argueing the Danny Butcher was a fine rookie pick regardless of his name
2nd in the tac cup medal in his draft year

OK fine but what hill will you die on? ;)

I think the worst part is, Koch has been pretty successful in spreading that, "little battler club playing in the big leagues" mantra that when you do suggest a Dimma, or Mcrae often it's "oh they wouldn't seriously consider port"

Which inevitably feeds into the "we are so lucky to have Ken" mindset.

It’s the same thing as regards player retention/attraction — if it wasn’t for Ken, we’d never be able to recruit/keep any player who wasn’t born and bred on the peninsula.

An absolutely baffling mindset whereby the club is happily and unashamedly portrayed as an existential Kandahar, Hinkley (and Koch) is portrayed as a benevolent magician, and anyone who dares say otherwise — including second-generation club legend Warren Tredrea — is a delusional ingrate and enemy of Greater Portonia.

How did it ever come to this? lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just go with “A shoe…I would replace him with a literal shoe”.

This is 100% correct.

All the ones I’ve encountered seriously said no to Alastair Clarkson and Damien Hardwick when they were available.
Can't like this enough.

Even if you're gun shy about appointing an untried coach like McRae or Kingsley, we've literally had the two greatest coaches in the modern era become available, both with strong connections to Port in the AFL (one a premiership player FFS), both younger than Hinkley, and we didn't even throw our hat in the ring but instead doubled down on Daddy Donuts because, you know, WAYGG.

Last edited:
Make an exception for Hinkley though?
Port were obviously satisfied Hinkley had performed admirably during the season. Big deal! If they were considering a contract extension, surely a letter of intent could have been signed subject to a finals performance clause. But it was too late when Hinkley publicly uttered, "finals are scary". FFS. If that didn't satisfy Hinkley then no extension. He doesn't dictate the options.

Then again, I wanted Hinkley gone a few years ago.

After losing an eliminate final with the previous 2 seasons being no shows and already bags packed for another club? That would've been appropriately ruthless

Less so, after 5 years without a single finals win

And, if that doesn't cut it, the worst prelim final loss followed by the weakest opening to the next season (including that embarrassment for God's tribute)

Easy

Can't like this enough.

Even if you're gun shy about appointing an untried coach like McRae or Kingsley, we've literally had the two greatest coaches in the modern era become available, both with strong connections to Port in the AFL (one a premiership player FFS), both younger than Hinkley, and we didn't even throw our hat in the ring but instead doubled down on Daddy Donuts because, you know, WAYGG.
Funny thing is with all these coaches now scooped up that excuse may become more real...

Can't like this enough.

Consider the historical audacity flowing through the club’s veins.

From the acquisition of Fos Williams to yanking John Abley out from under Glenelg’s noses.

Making good on the threat to play home games at Adelaide Oval due to council overreach regarding the homeland.

Sacrificing the favourite son for the return of the prodigal.

The thermonuclear chutzpah of the first AFL bid.

Financially incentivising elite kids such as Tredrea, Wilson and Lade to stand out of the draft amidst the uncertainty of a dynamic start date, knowing full well the consequences.

Offering every available blue chip prospect — Crawford, Buckley, Holland, Grant, Dunkley Snr, Wanganeen — the captaincy and an enormous remuneration package including a McDonald’s franchise (real or imagined).

Sacrificing said prodigal son to secure a decade of another.

The previous administration breaching protocol by going over the SANFL’s head to blow the whistle long and loud over the terminal nature of the stadium deal and financial entanglements at Football Park.

Hell, even the current regime swung for the moon with the China strategy.

The farthest cry from today.

Stale, timid and not a lot of show for the past decade or so beyond logical off-field upgrades and onfield waste.

It’s the same thing as regards player retention/attraction — if it wasn’t for Ken, we’d never be able to recruit/keep any player who wasn’t born and bred on the peninsula.

Our player retention record was fine before Hinkley arrived.

Boak signed in 2012 despite a strong temptation to go home to Geelong. Robbie Gray stuck around before Hinkley turned up and other Victorians like Jackson Trengove, John Butcher and Alipate Carlile all stayed.

From the acquisition of Fos Williams to yanking John Abley out from under Glenelg’s noses.

Making good on the threat to play home games at Adelaide Oval due to council overreach regarding the homeland.

Financially incentivising elite kids such as Tredrea, Wilson and Lade to stand out of the draft amidst the uncertainty of a dynamic start date, knowing full well the consequences.

Offering every available blue chip prospect — Crawford, Buckley, Holland, Grant, Dunkley Snr, Wanganeen — the captaincy and an enormous remuneration package including a McDonald’s franchise (real or imagined).

The previous administration breaching protocol by going over the SANFL’s head to blow the whistle long and loud over the terminal nature of the stadium deal and financial entanglements at Football Park.

Stale, timid and not a lot of show for the past decade or so beyond logical off-field upgrades and onfield waste.
Mom and pop shop business mindset and cookie cutter corporate governance is the order of the day at Alberton these days I'm afraid.

Great post

Our player retention record was fine before Hinkley arrived.

Boak signed in 2012 despite a strong temptation to go home to Geelong. Robbie Gray stuck around before Hinkley turned up and other Victorians like Jackson Trengove, John Butcher and Alipate Carlile all stayed.
And not a "father figure" comment was ever uttered before creepy Kenny arrived. As a mother of adult males, it's freakin gross.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back