Past #26: Tarryn Thomas [Part III] - 18 week suspension confirmed; ineligible to play in '24 season; NMFC has officially sacked Tarryn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Except not everyone has a demonstrable history of threatening behavior towards women, where there are accusations of throwing objects at/in the general direction of a loved one, previous instances of text messages where threats were made, and court appearances for revenge pr0n. Nor is everyone on their nth chance from their employer for said behaviours.
As a wise man once told me ‘a one off’s a one off, and a pattern’s a pattern’.

There was nothing stopping the individual taking this to both the police and the AFL, the fact that one was favoured over the other is very suspect.
It’s not suspect, she probably just reckons the law enforcement route won’t deliver the outcome she thinks is fair under the circumstances.

We agree she probably she just wants him sacked.

Tom Morris credibility in tatters.

Claimed 18 weeks.
Doubled down on it repeatedly.
AFL says they haven't made any such decision.
Claims AFL definitely HAVE ratified a 18 week suspension, despite direct quotes to the opposite.
Say it will be announced the next day (today).
Quote retweets multiple reports that run with his 18 week claim.
Further reports the next day say 12 weeks, and AFL publicly states they're still reviewing the case and no decision made.
Tom completely missing from socials.

:p

Talent never excuses DV. I want him gone from our football club. That behaviour from those leaked texts is just disgusting.

I want you to believe there's a litany of reasons why a victim of domestic violence would choose to escalate complaints to a body other than the police. It has nothing to do with who is more qualified and more about why she would choose one over the other.
There is only one reason to choose the AFL over the police and that is simply to have that persons life impacted through some form of punishment that actually doesn’t deal with the issue at all.

It doesn’t deal with the threat of domestic violence or making the complainant safe from the offending individual. Can the AFL issue AVO’s now?

What does it matter if she chose the AFL over the police or if she wants to **** his career over. Side show. Irrelevant. Completely separate discussion about the nature of justice etc etc. Only becomes relevant to us if it's a complete stitch up. What matters is his conduct, and yes that includes the full context of the messages. The AFL will be able to tell if it's in the middle of a full blown mutual argument, or if he's being baited, or if he's just a dropkick dickhead, and when a shitload of lawyers (the actual word for a group of lawyers) are being paid a shitload of money by a shitload of different parties then the AFL are going to struggle to make it something it's not. The punishment might end up being excessive but I'll guarantee the 'crime' would be real.

There is only one reason to choose the AFL over the police and that is simply to have that persons life impacted through some form of punishment that actually doesn’t deal with the issue at all.

It doesn’t deal with the threat of domestic violence or making the complainant safe from the offending individual. Can the AFL issue AVO’s now?
What were the texts

He is part of a sad cycle of violence that the afl is aiming to make an example of..

Last edited:
What does it matter if she chose the AFL over the police or if she wants to * his career over. Side show. Irrelevant. Completely separate discussion about the nature of justice etc etc. Only becomes relevant to us if it's a complete stitch up. What matters is his conduct, and yes that includes the full context of the messages. The AFL will be able to tell if it's in the middle of a full blown mutual argument, or if he's being baited, or if he's just a dropkick dickhead, and when a shitload of lawyers (the actual word for a group of lawyers) are being paid a shitload of money by a shitload of different parties then the AFL are going to struggle to make it something it's not. The punishment might end up being excessive but I'll guarantee the 'crime' would be real.

Word

that persons life impacted through some form of punishment that actually doesn’t deal with the issue at all.
If this process does not deal with the issue at all, he may very well continue offending, but he won’t be doing it from a position of privilege and influence, because his footy career will be dead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know we could come out with the message that we are committed to helping TT become a better person whilst as a footballer and for life after football rather than just kicking him to the curb to eventually be picked up by another club...

A statement like that in my mind would be consistent with a club with a strong culture.
Reckon I'm the outlier here. It obviously depends on just how bad the accusation is, and whether the senior people at the club have had a gutful. If these aren't too extreme, I'd like to offer Tarryn one last chance at redemption, by offering a one year contract at minimum wage after he concludes his suspension. It would be an AFL lifeline and absolutely one last chance at a redemption arc for him.

I’d prefer the afl make the call
Agree. The last appendix of the Respect and Responsibility Policy refers to Precedent. Once precedent is set, there is no ambiguity.

What were the texts
The leaked texts were that he would continue to abuse the women he had previously abused and that if anyone ****ed with him, he would **** with them.

Reads like a wannabe gangster w***er that is trying to make out he is a bigshot.

Now there is no denying the bloke is a dickhead and douchebag and it’s probably best to cut ties with him.

But there is no need for the AFL to step in here, the club is more than capable of getting rid of a bad egg.

For me the critical piece to the whole saga is, was this behaviour present through their whole relationship or was it part of a messy breakup? Is this someone showing consistent abuse or someone that can’t handle a breakup and lashes out with stupid texts?

Tarryn is 23 years old. His extremely lucrative career may be over, but his life is not. He absolutely has the ability and opportunity to continue his life. It is still very much within his control.

Tom Morris credibility in tatters.

Claimed 18 weeks.
Doubled down on it repeatedly.
AFL says they haven't made any such decision.
Claims AFL definitely HAVE ratified a 18 week suspension, despite direct quotes to the opposite.
Say it will be announced the next day (today).
Quote retweets multiple reports that run with his 18 week claim.
Further reports the next day say 12 weeks, and AFL publicly states they're still reviewing the case and no decision made.
Tom completely missing from socials.

:p

Meh, Tom was probably used by the AFL to test the waters with the 18 weeks.

So a players life and footy career gets destroyed after abusive texts between your ex which is private?

Man TT is a ******* idiot but my gosh, this is going to open up so much privacy issues? Did he lay a hand on her? If so yeah * him

Want to go through all the players texts and see what can be found? Or voice calls between GF and Bfs fighting in their 20s?

We are all not angels but I'm so torn on this. I still think he's goneski but this is the beginning of prying into every players private life way too much IMO.
Have you threatened your SOs? Have you gloated about your abuse of others and said that you'll do it again? Do you think it's routine for AFL players to say these things? Pull the other ****ing one. This is well worth reporting. And it's well worth punishing.

There's absolutely ****ing nothing to be torn about, and if you think there is, you need to take off your North-coloured glasses

Meh, Tom was probably used by the AFL to test the waters with the 18 weeks.
Makes sense up until the point he doubled down on it AFTER the AFL said it wasn't true.
What does he achieve at that point?

Reckon I'm the outlier here. It obviously depends on just how bad the accusation is, and whether the senior people at the club have had a gutful. If these aren't too extreme, I'd like to offer Tarryn one last chance at redemption, by offering a one year contract at minimum wage after he concludes his suspension. It would be an AFL lifeline and absolutely one last chance at a redemption arc for him.
Assuming he accepts his wrongdoing and commits to wanting to change - and who knows where his head is at - the question would become what diversionary program has a chance of succeeding.

He could donate 500k of his salary to women’s shelters, he could go do free labour for aboriginal owned social enterprises for a year, but it wouldn’t get to the root of his problem.

I’m not sure what the answer is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back