Roast Has Opening Round been totally botched?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it is worth persevering with.

4 sell out games in expansion areas of the country can only be a good thing.

The quality of the game last night wasn’t great but that is due more to the season starting one month earlier than anything.

Hopefully all of the whingeing stops next week but I’m not holding my breath.

If my team got to start the year with Sydney's first 6 weeks i would be a fan as well:

• a home game against a travelling, underdone opponent; then
  • an 8 day break before playing an opponent on a 6 day break; then
  • another 8 day break before a home game against a travelling opponent
  • another 8 day break for an away game against a bottom 6 team last year;
  • a match against the wooden spooners from last year

That is a cupcake schedule that gives the Swans a big leg up in matches against two top 5 opponents, 3 other games skewed heavily in their favour, and then to top it off they get a bonus, in season bye after returning from Perth (which very few other teams get the luxury of)

all 4 games sellouts.
So no not a failure.
Add to that according to the AFL Round 1 tickets are selling at a higher rate…..

Whinging by some is hilarious. Literally the Vics get the GF and every marque game.
But this one event? Oh no it’s killing footy! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Just another example of non expansion states being treated as 2nd class fans. Especially SA and WA who have no representation in week 1.

AFL arent stupid though. If you are going to shaft more than half the competition just make sure you still look after the big Vic clubs Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond and Melbourne.

Just another example of non expansion states being treated as 2nd class fans. Especially SA and WA who have no representation in week 1.

AFL arent stupid though. If you are going to shaft more than half the competition just make sure you still look after the big Vic clubs Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond and Melbourne.

Another?

Who holds Gather round again?

I get that the northern markets are important, and that the NRL is killing it at the moment, but what a lame way to start the season. For those whose teams start next week, last night seemed like a practice game. Let’s kick off with a bang, all in. Be inclusive.

It is likely we will go to a 24 games season when Tassie come in, so do it in 2025. Start the whole season a week earlier on Labour Day weekend. You can still have big games in NSW/QLD

If my team got to start the year with Sydney's first 6 weeks i would be a fan as well:

That is a cupcake schedule that gives the Swans a big leg up in matches against two top 5 opponents, 3 other games skewed heavily in their favour, and then to top it off they get a bonus, in season bye after returning from Perth (which very few other teams get the luxury of)

And thats how the AFL manipulates the draw and ladder to generate the finalists it wants.

Can you believe 2024 is the first year the Lions will play the Eagles at Optus stadium? 6 years they have not played the Eagles at Optus. Wouldnt want the AFL's preferred finalists Brisbane playing a stronger Eagles side at home in the one clash of the year. Now the Eagles are crap.....lets finally send the Lions to Perth to play them.

I don’t see how last night was a sellout. There was empty seats everywhere all game. Unless there was 10k people in the stands at all points or a lot of people didn’t turn up, I don’t see how that was a sellout.
It wasn’t a sell out. There were tickets available at the bounce. None of this weekends games were sold out as of 7pm yesterday (GWS v Pies now is). The commentators are idiots, simply trying to talk everything up.

was rubbish.

put this concept in the bin.

next year Richmond v Carlton at the G to lead us off.

Who thought a game in Sydney, in March at night was a good idea.

Considering all four games are sell outs, that's probably a fair indication that the right amount of promotion took place. Maybe it just wasn't promoted as heavily where you live? Makes sense considering they'd rather focus the season launching promotions in Victoria on round 1 where there will be games played in that state.

The AFL held an official season launch in Sydney on Wednesday (check it out here) and I'm sure there were other functions/events held in Sydney as a result. Keep in mind, only playing games in Queensland and New South Wales this weekend ensures the footy media shines the spotlight on those teams and those markets. Theoretically, that means QLD & NSW teams will receive 50% of the media coverage over the next few days compared to the approximate 22% coverage they would have received in a full opening round. Lots of footy journos & media members would have/will fly up for these games this weekend and many of those same media members would have otherwise stayed in Melbourne to report on the local AFL game/s under normal circumstances. Increasing media coverage is crucial for growth in the northern markets.

Again, the fact that you were surprised the first game of the season was taking place last night probably speaks to the audience they targeted for the promotion of this round. You don't get all four games selling out in expansion markets unless you do a fair amount of promotion within the local market. Obviously not as much promotion took place in the southern states and that's left a lot of footy fans down there confused by the concept.

Disagree. The footy media is essentially based in Melbourne (loosely Adelaide & Perth as well) and by not holding games in those markets it forces the footy media to shine the spotlight on Queensland and New South Wales. Also, by holding the games this week it gives the local media in the northern states an opportunity to provide more AFL coverage before the NRL would typically dominate the headlines in years goneby.

The Swans pulled over 40k to the SCG for a Thursday night game (that would have been the second most attended H&A NRL game last year) and have kickstarted their season in perfect fashion by beating the Dees. They did all that before the NRL has even played a single game in Sydney this year! It's a great launchpad for the Swans to build local momentum/fans throughout 2024 instead of having the NRL teams getting several weeks headstart that they've always had in the past. Now we see if Brisbane, Gold Coast and GWS can follow their lead.

As for the equitable fixture point, that's never going to be the case. We all know it will be compromised in one way or another. By round 5 the ladder will be equal again with no teams having a game in hand, so it's a minimal disruption in that regard.

Sell outs in small stadiums is not a positive KPI.

It means if the game was played at a bigger venue more people likely would have attended.

You sound surprised the AFL is kissing the Swans on the dick? Are you new here?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can say VICbias re the season opening at the G but seriously... The SCG... Give me Adelaide Oval or Optus Stadium any day. The camera angles in Sydney make it look like a VFL game its horrific.

Not much better coming up with the GABBA, Giants stadium and whatever hell hole the Suns play at nowadays.

Horrendous for TV viewers, especially in March where its slippery, muggy and shite.

It was botched the game was boring for 70mins, it opened up a little in the last quarter but anyone saying that was a good game is clueless.
Better than the usual 120 mins of boring footy we get between Richmond and Carlton. Last year was a draw and still managed to be a poor game

Where is the Gf played again?

The same place for every other team.

The amount the AFL props up its TV rights expansion clubs is undeniable. Its all about $$$$$.

Not competitive equalisation. If it was about on field succcess equalisation grand final teams wouldnt be getting unlimited access to players and not favourable draws.

Melbourne and Essendon at home (the latter matches up well against us ) and Collingwood (unfurling their flag BTW) and Richmond at the G in the first 4 rounds is easy? Pfft I’d be happy with 2-2

The AFL fixture is full of loopholes and compromises, get over it.

I get that the northern markets are important, and that the NRL is killing it at the moment, but what a lame way to start the season. For those whose teams start next week, last night seemed like a practice game. Let’s kick off with a bang, all in. Be inclusive.

It is likely we will go to a 24 games season when Tassie come in, so do it in 2025. Start the whole season a week earlier on Labour Day weekend. You can still have big games in NSW/QLD
When's that? I believe it is a different date all over the country or nonexistent.

It wasn’t a sell out. There were tickets available at the bounce. None of this weekends games were sold out as of 7pm yesterday (GWS v Pies now is). The commentators are idiots, simply trying to talk everything up.

I checked a couple of hours beforehand and couldn't get two tickets. It was a sell out

Likewise the giants game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back