Has collingwood been worked out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton and Hawthorn figured them out late last year, then Brisbane absolutely out classed them away from the MCG. Fell over the line in finals against interstate teams.

Astute football watchers saw this coming from a mile away!

Pies forward line is a mix of Mihocek, Cox, Elliott, WHE, Hill, Johnson, McReery, McStay (when fit)

It’s very ordinary and won’t get anywhere near pinching another flag.

Then other than Naicos, who are the Pies ‘gun’ youngsters under 24yo? They’ve got no-one.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes, they are using Richmond’s old gameplan. Comp has had 7 years to figure it out. They just don’t have the talent to overcome it like we did or GWS now unfortunately.

I saw in the 2023 flag doco ad and Fly say “take the stairs” as part of his motivational speech. Hardwick used to say that. So cringe 🤮

Much like when a young team pops up and wins a flag
hawks08 dogs16 dees21
With an old team (cats22 eagles18) it’s physically hard to sustain the level.
The dynasty teams happen when the core is in the sweet spot.
Any game plan at its best is easy to work out but impossible to defeat.
If it’s not at 100% it’s possible to counter

In as much as I know how to get there, and by extension how to avoid the place, yes indeed, Collingwood has been worked out as far as I'm concerned!

If defeating the Lions at the GABBA is such a Herculean feat of impossibility, how were Carlton able to do it? 🤔
The Lions in Round 1:
2024: L to Carlton at the Gabba
2023: L to Port at Adelaide Oval
2022: W against Port at Gabba
2021: L to Sydney at Gabba
2020: L to Hawthorn at MCG
2019: W to West Coast at Gabba
2018: L to St Kilda at Etihad
2017: W against Gold Coast at Metricon
2016: L to West Coast at Subi

The Lions are pretty terrible in round 1 they're 1-3 since COVID.

In 2022, Port would've beaten them there, if they hadn't lost three players to injury in the second half. And that was a team that had Hinkley still basking in the glow of two Prelim Final losses in a row.

Once they get a couple rounds into the season its very different.

There is nothing to "work out". They had a run of unprecedented luck. Heading into last year's finals, they'd even lost to Hawthorn, let alone the 70 point thumping by Essendon.

As the Americans say, "There's no there there."

And they seem in denial. I heard Fly say the other day "we're a young team". Mate, you have the oldest list in the league.

Yes they did, nice work.

What I was saying was they were not the clear best team like often happens. It was a raffle with the top six teams. They only need to fall a bit away and they will be struggling to stay in the 8.

They were the clear best team until around 15-16.

Then they struggled a bit and built back enough and wrung everything out of themselves to win 3 epic finals.

Carlton and Hawthorn figured them out late last year, then Brisbane absolutely out classed them away from the MCG. Fell over the line in finals against interstate teams.

Pies taking those risks kicks going through the middle is a known commodity now, and most sides do the same thing also.

Us and hawks were ready for them to do that last year and pies got nowhere when they tried it in those games. I think it largely comes down to workrate and many over 30s looking like they have hit the wall.

This year has been like some of those shaky pies performances later last year, with less work rate. Also, sides aren’t scared of them anymore. They haven’t done any of those famous comeback wins for a while now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much like when a young team pops up and wins a flag
hawks08 dogs16 dees21
With an old team (cats22 eagles18) it’s physically hard to sustain the level.
The dynasty teams happen when the core is in the sweet spot.
Any game plan at its best is easy to work out but impossible to defeat.
If it’s not at 100% it’s possible to counter

Dees have had 2 top 4 finishes just failed narrowly in finals, hardly hangover material.

Still too early in the season to tell but they never had the makings of a dynasty or anything like that when their success is so reliant on elite coaching and a backline holding up incredibly well.

Reality for two years has been that their midfield is capable of being beaten up and they don’t necessarily have the forward presences other teams have.

They won a lot of games in the last two seasons where their defence held on for dear life during periods and then they were able to make the most of opportunities going the other way.

Got them a flag so you wouldn’t be complaining as a Pies fan but as other teams develop and grow they may well have worked out how to exploit the clear weaknesses the Pies 22 will always have.

And as good as Daicos has been not sure him as a full time midfielder really works well at this stage without them having some more physicality in there. Their midfield as a whole is pretty meh right now.

“I've got someone that I trust very, very much who was a big part of our premiership years down at Geelong and now does some work at work at Collingwood,” Mooney explained on SEN The Run Home.

“He said that he hasn't seen a group come back after a premiership as good as this.

Terrific mail there Moons...

That's actually a pretty good point. In the past, a top 4 team winning a lot of the close games was a sign that they'd drop the following year (e.g., Geelong 2014, Fremantle 2015, Hawthorn 2016). But I thought that Collingwood put an end to that when they won the Premiership after winning so many close ones in 2022.

But maybe they won't avoid the fall. Perhaps they just delayed it. Who knows.

I will add Hawks of 2018 as well. they won 15 games and got 4th. they won 5 or 6 games by 2 goals or less. 4 of them were by under a goal.

I am shocked to hear this... that your are not trolling North Melbourne with your posts! lol

People knew how they played last year look many close games they won.
The difference is now some of their star older players are just that little bit slower, a little bit less hunger.

That's all it takes, it's not like they dominated teams last year.

There is nothing to "work out". They had a run of unprecedented luck. Heading into last year's finals, they'd even lost to Hawthorn, let alone the 70 point thumping by Essendon.

As the Americans say, "There's no there there."

And they seem in denial. I heard Fly say the other day "we're a young team". Mate, you have the oldest list in the league.

Lol, at least we owned it all the way. Pies have Cox, Pendles, Crisp, Sidebottom, Mihocek, Mitchell, Howe, WHE and Elliot, all 30 or over...and they say they're a young team? Odd.

Never As food when you win never as bad when you lose. They just don't have that extra intangible that they had last year, that extra effort. As BT said their bellies are full.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back