Roast Has Opening Round been totally botched?

Remove this Banner Ad

1. It wasnt aimed at you. They sacrificed some interest in Melbourne for a huge amount of interest in the Northern states.
2. On Monday no one will care about this issue, but the jump-start in the Northern states could be huge for their attendances all year.
The same games could have been in the northern states to get those crowds. There was zero need for this split round

Not at all. Isn’t it a national competition? People need to get over the MCG bullshit for the first game. John Longmire hit the nail on the head by saying if you’re keeping the GF at the MCG then there can be an OR solely interstate. In fact it really should be between Brisbane, GC, Sydney, GWS. We should also have a showdown in WA and SA as well. The non Vic teams should be able to play for an additional 4 points than the Victorian teams given they get the GF at the MCG.

Fantastic idea and I like the idea of a derby the only thing I didn’t like was the no game on Sunday

Well it's Wednesday now and in all honesty I'm more excited for this weekend of footy than I was when we beat the Lions last game. Dunno if it was because I didn't get to go the G to watch the boys to kick things off but the whole thing just had a meh feel to it.

Excited for the real stuff to start, as much as I despise the Sainters and Dogs I enjoy watching everyone kick off the season together

Yep, they felt like preseason games. Not sure why they to keep fiddling with it. The GF replay experiment failed as well.

Did it fail? Sellouts every game and ratings huge. Hardly a fail.

Sellouts in low capacity stadiums using 4 of the biggest clubs in the competition with rusted on fanbases spread all across the country isn't really a valid point imo. You could put Carlton and Collingwood at the G to open the season and it would be almost certain to get 95k+ and cause far more headlines across the country than any of the games played last week.

Ratings... There were 4 games in primetime slots and its the start of the season. It was always going to rate well.

I can only speak from my own perspective but nothing about round 0 excited me whatsoever. Gather round was a lot more entertaining and exciting for me. Teams playing at neutral venues, the whole city putting on events for travelling interstate fans and an incentive to get out of the VIC bubble to another footy state. It also wasn't a slippery mess like it was with the amount of dew and heat in the northern states this time of year.

All for getting more attention to the northern states but find another way of doing it. Felt like absolute crap down here in Melbourne and my team was at least one of the teams playing and we came away with a famous victory.

Thats because it was the 1st round of the season. If this coming round was the 1st one it would be the same.

But the whole thing of not all the teams playing and calling it round 0 gave it a preseason game vibe. But that’s just me.

My Issue with the opening round is that some clubs are playing clubs in Round 1 who didnt start in the opening round. This seems to be a massive advantage to those teams. The Melbourne vs Bulldogs and Gold Coast vs Adelaide are compromised. We have seen for the last few seasons that winning off a bye was damn near impossible and these are games that are between clubs who would be challenging for a spot in the 8

The AFL continuing to pretend Gold Coast will ever have any sort of relevance is comedy gold

The AFL has been doing that for years with Carlton, always giving them the opening game against the tigers. So it’s not unique to golf coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sellouts in low capacity stadiums using 4 of the biggest clubs in the competition with rusted on fanbases spread all across the country isn't really a valid point imo. You could put Carlton and Collingwood at the G to open the season and it would be almost certain to get 95k+ and cause far more headlines across the country than any of the games played last week.

Ratings... There were 4 games in primetime slots and its the start of the season. It was always going to rate well.

I can only speak from my own perspective but nothing about round 0 excited me whatsoever. Gather round was a lot more entertaining and exciting for me. Teams playing at neutral venues, the whole city putting on events for travelling interstate fans and an incentive to get out of the VIC bubble to another footy state. It also wasn't a slippery mess like it was with the amount of dew and heat in the northern states this time of year.

All for getting more attention to the northern states but find another way of doing it. Felt like absolute crap down here in Melbourne and my team was at least one of the teams playing and we came away with a famous victory.
Well that’s not the point. Collingwood v Carlton will happen this year and get 95k. NSW and QLD has to be prioritised as much as possible for the sport to gather momentum up there. You could put Collingwood and Carlton on Christmas Day and it’d be sold out.

Well that’s not the point. Collingwood v Carlton will happen this year and get 95k. NSW and QLD has to be prioritised as much as possible for the sport to gather momentum up there. You could put Collingwood and Carlton on Christmas Day and it’d be sold out.
Sets the stage for the year imo. As much as I understand people not wanting Rich vs Carlton to open the season having a game with a big loud crowd really gets people in the footy spirit to start the season

Sets the stage for the year imo. As much as I understand people not wanting Rich vs Carlton to open the season having a game with a big loud crowd really gets people in the footy spirit to start the season
You can definitely have both. People will be pumped for this week. They’ll forget last week very quickly. It’s just an AFL marketing tool for expansion states.

The Gold Coast crowd of 22,086 was their highest ever at home against Richmond.

And interestingly, the Suns had not broken a crowd record against an opponent since 2014 (not counting the 2018 Freo ‘home’ game at Optus). The Hardwick effect helps, but having the clear air and focus as a marquee game has been the main reason for this success.

View attachment 1923916

There are 3-5 opportunities for the Suns to break more crowd records this year using the momentum that Opening Round has given us. It’s been massive.
Geez that's grim reading. Nearly all those records set 10+ years ago, except one where they played at the other teams home ground.

Not even close.

WA was always a footy state and let's just ignore the fact that the Eagles won two flags in their first 7 years, while the Suns continue to achieve nothing.

Yeah and for 25 years the Swans didn’t either.
In a non-footy state and with Warwick Capper as the only thing that gave them any relevance in their first 15 years.

Now four decades later they are the equal most consistent club along with the Cats of the 21st century in terms of making finals, have two flags, have made what, 7(?) grand finals, have a dedicated fan base and a spiritual home ground and a rivalry with their nearest neighbour.

Once upon a time no one gave a f**k about Carlton either. Or any other club.

Hell, if the suns win something in the next five years they’ll have as many flags as st Kilda who have been around for 127 seasons.

Yeah and for 25 years the Swans didn’t either.
In a non-footy state and with Warwick Capper as the only thing that gave them any relevance in their first 15 years.

Now four decades later they are the equal most consistent club along with the Cats of the 21st century in terms of making finals, have two flags, have made what, 7(?) grand finals, have a dedicated fan base and a spiritual home ground and a rivalry with their nearest neighbour.

Once upon a time no one gave a f**k about Carlton either. Or any other club.

Hell, if the suns win something in the next five years they’ll have as many flags as st Kilda who have been around for 127 seasons.
Yeah except no sporting team has ever succeeded up there

The sooner they stop kidding themselves with the Suns the better

Yeah except no sporting team has ever succeeded up there

The sooner they stop kidding themselves with the Suns the better
The AFL will not fail. They never have. They invest extremeley long term. The suns will succeed, and everyone will forget the 20 years of moaning people like you did along the way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back