Has collingwood been worked out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
An obvious trend emerged between the GWS and Sydney games.

Both teams ran in a tsunami like wave off HB with a chain of overlap hand passes and then changing up the angles diagonally. This tsunami like run and gun off HB has sliced through collingwood now on two occasions with ease and had both teams often strolling into open forward fifty meters like a picnic stroll.

Have collingwood been worked out strategically?? Or is it something else?? Discuss

Not worked out, but possibly just to the field a bit in my opinion.
Their last quarter efforts to get over the line in close games last year were very impressive and a deserved flag for their efforts, but history says it’s not sustainable long term. You either start losing games when you’re off a little, or lift their game to win games a bit easier.

It’s where Carlton are at the moment I reckon. Ride the wave yeah but which direction does it go?

I remember the media all summer, think there was a quote from Cam Mooney, something like "I've never seen a flag group come back to preseason looking this good", and also how hungry they all still were.

The hype doesn't really match how they've started.

Over the past two years, 17 out of their 38 wins have been by under 10 points. Nearly 50% of their wins have come from very close games.

As mentioned above that’s not sustainable and they rode the wave and probably some luck brilliantly to get a flag and good on them.

However IMO it’s one of the luckier flags in recent time simply due to getting over the line in close games which most of the time, comes down to luck with one or two decisions going your way or individual moments of brilliance rather than the overall team.

Even last year, they were often behind 3-4 goals but would pull it back for a close win. Lose that ability and they are simply back to the pack where they were for large periods of the games last year.

44% of wins under 10 points isn’t a sign of sustainable success but rather a sign they grabbed their golden run with both hands at the right time.

I don't think they have been worked out but the same efforts aren't there the same connection almost on impulse isn't. They look reactive, they stop prop hesitate look and get caught in ways they hadn't been for a while.

They could find it again as great teams do or they won't and with an old list they might need to do more than just reinvent themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Over the past two years, 17 out of their 38 wins have been by under 10 points. Nearly 50% of their wins have come from very close games.

As mentioned above that’s not sustainable and they rode the wave and probably some luck brilliantly to get a flag and good on them.

However IMO it’s one of the luckier flags in recent time simply due to getting over the line in close games which most of the time, comes down to luck with one or two decisions going your way or individual moments of brilliance rather than the overall team.

Even last year, they were often behind 3-4 goals but would pull it back for a close win. Lose that ability and they are simply back to the pack where they were for large periods of the games last year.

44% of wins under 10 points isn’t a sign of sustainable success but rather a sign they grabbed their golden run with both hands at the right time.

Bingo !!
The con was good while it lasted …

I think they'll still push for top 4 with that game plan. Sydney and GWS will be thereabouts too though and started the season a little fresher and fitter.

looking like a fantastic trade so far
Absolutely but it’s a long season.

Schultz hasn’t shown a lot so far and anything around pick 10 or better is going to be massive overs for him considering we already drafted Cooper Simpson with the second rounder we also got from them.

They played their best footy prior to about rounds 15-16 last year. They weren’t just squeaking by opponents then, they genuinely belted sides, a lot of good ones too.

They certainly came back to the pack either via being worked out, exhaustion and older players hitting the wall after that. They roused themselves up for 3 huge finals performances where they had to use everything they had to get over the line in all 3.

They did incredibly well to win a flag, as any team who wins one does. Maybe the mental toll of climbing the mountain and many of their over 30s so far this year haven’t fired a shot.

So far they look a lot like the cats of early last year, and it’s hard to judge if they have been worked out as their work rate and pressure are way down. No game plan can work without effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back