Autopsy 2024 Round 1 Blues hold on in yet another heartstopper

Who played well for the Blues in Round 1 vs the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Other than lynch frees I didn't think it was that bad tbh
The first one was fair enough, if soft.
But their 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 7th were due to blatant umpiring errors.
And then Kennedy not paid 25 out directly in front for front-on contact, and no 50 to H to kick from the goal square.
That's a 6 goal difference in the first half.

They evened it up a bit in the 4th quarter.

How many kilometres did Cripps run last night? There was a stat on the screen that showed him at 22 KM’s about 10 minutes into the game. Surely an error. 😂

Last edited:

Not sure if it showed on the TV, but when he came on in the start of the last q, the forwards all got around him to welcome him back. He provides some real energy in the front half - Dermie gave him a huge rap post game with his efforts in that final quarter.

He's missed a lot of footy over the past few years and had an interrupted preseason, so will only improve as the season rolls on. Him and Moir were doing some running drills after the crowd had dissipated last night obviously to get their km's up.

I know I'm biased cos I'm a massive rap for him, but I still maintain that when him and Mots gets some games together under their belt, they'll form a dangerous small forward combo.
Its easy to forget some of the highs of what Corey has shown in his relatively short career to date. Been inconsistent for sure, but there were a couple games last season or the one before where he pushed up the ground and got involved and at times looked like Gary Ablett Jnr ordered off Wish.
That probably doesn't sound like a compliment but it is.

He's a talented little bugger with plenty of skill, just needs to bring it all together.

Go easy on Kemp, done a few things wrong but a lot of things right. The fact that he even went for that mark that spilt to Martin for a goal shows that he believes in his ability and i reckon he has some, I'll put my ***** on the line and say he's going to be a very good player.

Go easy on Kemp, done a few things wrong but a lot of things right. The fact that he even went for that mark that spilt to Martin for a goal shows that he believes in his ability and i reckon he has some, I'll put my ***** on the line and say he's going to be a very good player.
gave harry his first goal........

Agreed - given the fact that he's played 25-26 games of AFL........ still a long way to go for him & his best is well & truly in front of him.

You'd have the thought the back line coach would have a word to Kemp about attempting big "speccie's" in the backline. If it doesnt pay off immediately the opposition have the extra guy at the fall as Kemp ends on the ground?

Nah, go for it. He should have marked it,
Was fine until McGovern let the ball go through his legs with Carlton players on the offensive side of the pack expecting the quick handball out.

Shit happens

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might find with Weiters back in the team Brody will play the "tall" intercept role as 1-2 with Weiters, which i think would suit him well also
I hope so mate, I'd love him to get a few games in that role.

A lot of people are upset with Kemps turnover that led to the final Tigers goal.

But go back and watch the replay. Rioli stops in the protected area, turns and smothers. Should have been a 50 every time.
Like I say, Bitchmond are experts at borderline infringing stuff and not being done for it. And yet their fans have the gaul to complain about umpiring.

Agreed - given the fact that he's played 25-26 games of AFL........ still a long way to go for him & his best is well & truly in front of him.
I agree with you. He makes mistakes but at least he's having go and his positivity outweighs anything negative that he does. He is very early into what should be a good career. Could be an excellent swingman into the future.

Really liking Jack Carroll's addition to the midfield. He's quicker than the other beasts but he has a fair amount of grunt. Just wish Dave Cuningham could have the same physical impact whilst providing further pace.

Nothing to really add in terms of the game. It was a hard watch from our perspective but we got the chocolates and we have great scope for improvement. Let's enjoy watching the other teams belt the crap out of each other over this round and the next.

Carn the Swannies!

So the score review can do field umpiring now?

I would assume the goal umpire gave the "behind" soft call on the basis that they didn't think Charlie got a foot to it, but was overruled by the field umpire who would have determined that if that was the case then the incorrect disposal call comes before the ball crosses the line for a score.

It's messy, but as it played out it's the correct call. There's maybe a sliver of a chance that Charlie grazed the ball with his toe, and while I'm sure many Blues fans will die on that hill I'm comfortable with the Score Review umpires determining that the footage was inconclusive. If the shoe was on the other foot and it was a Tiger's player getting a goal at the other end to win the game, we'd be ropable if the Score Review overruled the on-field umpires on the same degree of evidence.

Young is a real conundrum. There are times he can look really solid...but there's too many times when he loses his feet and poops the sheets if he's one out against a decent opponent. Hopefully he's a depth player this year...really needs to improve a lot.

Back