Autopsy 2024 Round 1 Blues hold on in yet another heartstopper

Who played well for the Blues in Round 1 vs the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee what a tough game to watch.

I tipped Carlton by 40 and in a funny way I would almost rather we lost by more haha. Hard going down by a small margin on the wire.

Umpiring was up and down both ways and certainly not the reason we lost. 1st free to Lynch was technical only, quite soft. 2nd one was a howler. Beyond that he contributed bugger all. Bolton pathetic.

Personally I thought Cripps, Saad and TDK were brilliant. McGovern and Newman very good too.

Proud of the Tiges for having a dip with 3 down on the bench but to be honest Prestia has been cooked for a while and should retire. We need to move on from blokes like Pickett and McIntosh who are also past it and taking a kid's spot. Also don't know why Mansell played at all, he's a VFL footballer and his ridiculous poster demonstrates that.

Thought Balta & Vlastuin were great.

Blue will be even tougher with Weitering and Walsh back. Personally I think they have what it takes to win the flag - great bookends and engine room.

EDIT: Oh and gutter for Gibcus who looks to have done an ACL after missing a full year with a severe hammy. Had such promising 2022.
fair post - genuine question - how the heck do you deal with the saturation umpire blaming on your board? over and over, the same abusive posters, every week, every year - what's the deal?

I went on the Richmond board once and they told me to * off to which I obliged .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I was once banned from the Tigger board. A gentleman Richmond mod I interacted with elsewhere on BF removed the ban for me almost a decade later. But I was probably better off not being able to see their board tbh lol.

Kemp doesn't read the play well at all, but let's say he did, then his errors are even worse, when he runs under the ball and or let's it get behind him in a marking contest

No doubt he will improve, but selection needs to be about current output, not projection

We have enough attacking prowess in Williams, Saad, Boyd, Newman and Gov, we need better defensive minded players such as Weitering and Marchbank IMHO

I think he reads the play fine, but just needs to learn that sometimes it is okay to spoil the ball into safety instead of trying to intercept everything. He is getting his hands to the footy more often than not. With his lack of experience sometimes he will simply be out marked by better players. He’s not going to win everything.

Selection is based on availability first. Marchbank is not even running around in the 2s yet. Then it can be based on a number of other things and fast tracking development is certainly a consideration. Get him alongside Weitering and watch him grow.

I'm more bullish on Kemp's future than Cuners.
Still only just approaching 23 years old and not played 30 games yet. Reckon by the time he's in his mid 20s and hopefully played a decent amount of games in that time with a matured head on his shoulders, he'll be a really pivotal player.

I agree with you. He makes mistakes but at least he's having go and his positivity outweighs anything negative that he does. He is very early into what should be a good career. Could be an excellent swingman into the future.

Really liking Jack Carroll's addition to the midfield. He's quicker than the other beasts but he has a fair amount of grunt. Just wish Dave Cuningham could have the same physical impact whilst providing further pace.

Nothing to really add in terms of the game. It was a hard watch from our perspective but we got the chocolates and we have great scope for improvement. Let's enjoy watching the other teams belt the crap out of each other over this round and the next.

Carn the Swannies!
Agreed mate. RE: Jacky Carrol Amazing what happens when you can draft a kid and develop them through the ressies for a couple years isn’t it? Ready to go now and it’s Vossys mantra next one up. Love when it works

Coaches have told him to go for it and use his strengths.

Sent from my SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep, prime example of a young bloke following general team instructions (move the ball on quickly by hand or foot) without the experience to instinctively recognise the moments when those instructions need to be countermanded.

Charlie a similar "instinctive" type with that play-on in the goalsquare - looking for a big "moment" when the team really just needed a solid steadier.

Give them time and they'll start to learn when to go and when to take a beat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What position do you see him playing long term Thy
I like his willingness to attack, sometimes too much though. His intercept marking is excellent. His maneuverability is sound (that sidestep, oh my). His confidence is growing. His disposal is good within limits. He has the players trust. He now seems durable. He's wearing Crosswell's number. Position? FIIK.

Last edited:
A player can play well and still have limitations or make mistakes. One would think you would know that, given your continued and tiresome derision of specific players in our jumper in years past.

I can't remember having gone on here after a win and potted one of our best on ground who just kicked the key goal in the game from 55m and won the hitouts.

History proved me right in the case of Plowman (if that's who you're referring to). We were never going to be a good team while he was getting a game.

You are definitely entitled to your opinion though and good luck to you. I don't think there would be many agreeing with that take on TDK though.

I love the way he's maturing. Becoming a bit of a Nicnat type ruck who is so mobile and kicks goals. He's got more levels he can go to but a guy who can move like that is a huge advantage because there's just nothing a Nank-type ruck can do about stopping his run and we end up with 400m+ gained from our ruckman.

I keep forgetting about Elijah!! As previously mentioned he may well replace his little bro!!!!! In the words of Big Kev, "I'm Excited!!!!"

Oh my.... had completely forgotten about him too....

Weitering, Martin, Motlop, Walsh, E Hollands all due to come in (Walsh hopefully)... woweee boy oh boy

Young must bring something the coaching staff are happy with. He was better last week.

I’m not sure. He doesn’t fill me with confidence but maybe it’s a team defence thing? Coaches see him as an asset if the back line are working effectively?
Durdin and Marchbank and Weitering must be unavailable ....that's all Ive got, I rate so bad tempted to play Kemp as KPD= - his ineffectiveness gives opposition courage to attack through him ...I noticed that often the opposition ran away and cleared space to leave him one on one...no way they try that on Weitering..

I can't remember having gone on here after a win and potted one of our best on ground who just kicked the key goal in the game from 55m and won the hitouts.

History proved me right in the case of Plowman (if that's who you're referring to). We were never going to be a good team while he was getting a game.

You are definitely entitled to your opinion though and good luck to you. I don't think there would be many agreeing with that take on TDK though.

I love the way he's maturing. Becoming a bit of a Nicnat type ruck who is so mobile and kicks goals. He's got more levels he can go to but a guy who can move like that is a huge advantage because there's just nothing a Nank-type ruck can do about stopping his run and we end up with 400m+ gained from our ruckman.
It's not a slight on him to say that he could've prevented his counterpart's - and the opposition captain's - dominance of their position much earlier in the game purely by raising his knee and jumping.

He didn't even need to get him in the head. Nankervis exposed his entire torso to TDK every time he decided to try and run past the ball to protect the ball drop; Tom could've just aimed to hit the same spot three times in a row with his knee and that'd have done the job.

History in our game is replete with some truly wonderful ball players without premiership medals and limited mongrels with them.

Tom De Koning could absolutely be anything, but I'd rather someone told him how he could've influenced the game sooner than they didn't.

Back