Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Hawks fail against Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Fumbles, trying to be too cute or looking to play perfect footy, in Sam's words. Nash seemed to trip over every time the ball went near him.
Fumbles, trying to be too cute or looking to play perfect footy, in Sam's words. Nash seemed to trip over every time the ball went near him.
maybe Nashie needs to get rid of that beard......then he might be able to see the footy better!!

The longer the day goes, the worse the taste in the mouth. I didn't go into today expecting a premiership, but I did think we would do much better than we showed today. To be showing improvement, we just had to defeat Essendon today, and we failed. People can look at "if and but" scenarios but I deal in facts. We just weren't good enough today and I really feel as a club we've taken a step backwards and have to start all over again. Sorry to be so negative, but it's been quite a while since I've been so disappointed as I am tonight. We need to win next week or the season is gone.
We got destroyed by Essendon last year and only lost by a few goals this game, and really could have won it. I find it hard to see that as a step backwards.

Weā€™re still a work in progress with a super young team. These things take time. I donā€™t think anyone is thinking finals this year but I think weā€™ve showed that we are getting better bit by bit.

You could see Nash was pretty filthy with himself. He has pride in his own performances and after being a model of consistency last season I reckon there's every chance he comes out with a point to prove. Look out Melbourne.

the effort was good, ball movement was ok, we played well in patches, kicked badly for goal and inside 50.

should have won and plenty that will improve.

if it wasnā€™t the enemy, iā€™d sleep ok tonight on that showing.

i donā€™t see it with finn - give him a job or not in the 22. Burnt a certain and important goal with a missed target inside 50 in the last. Even an ok kick would have got the job done. i know there were others throughout the day too

Just got back from the game and am looking forward to reading what I'm sure is a completely level headed autopsy thread haha.

Got smashed in the middle, didn't gel up forward, kicked for s*t, never got any real momentum and the dirty drug cheats just couldn't ****** miss.

In saying all that, I'm optimistic. The blue print is there, and if we convert even 5 of those 17 points we win.

We ran rings around them in general play in the first three quarters, but it was noticeable how gassed we were in the last. The damage SHOULD have been done by that stage.

D'Ambrosio was incredibly impressive. He is tough, super composed and a brilliant kick. Reminded me a lot of Guerra.
I thought Weddle grew into the game. Amon was also fantastic.

Our young mids in Newcombe, Mackenzie & Ward were all disappointing today. Not concerned as I think they're all very good, it's just a shame all three had down days.

It's interesting, our gamestyle almost bypasses our midfielders on transition. We have such strong running power from defence that players like Ward/Mackenzie do all these kms and the ball never gets near them unless it's super congested.

Is Chol injured? Couldn't work out at the ground why he was subbed.
Chol is not fit.

McKay was excellent Added the necessary structure to their defence. We were ordinary forward.

We really, really lack the same structure.

Itā€™s been said - but itā€™s also the bleeding obvious.
Thereā€™s no place for Maginness in that side unless he tags the best midfielder from the first bounce.
Instead, he comes on in the last quarter and gets 2 kicks. One of them was disgraceful and potentially the game changer.
Heā€™s got the ball at half forward, under no pressure. Gunston is clear running towards goal. All Finn had to do was lob the kick 30 metres and Gunston goals. But he over kicked it for a point and Essendon gained the momentum. Complete lack of kicking skills.

The player we missed in the midfield was the 2 gamer. Hustwaite has to play next week.

Again, Ward was ineffective - just tinkering around the edges.

Last edited:
Itā€™s been said - but itā€™s also the bleeding obvious.
Thereā€™s no place for Maginness in that side unless he tags the best midfielder from the first bounce.
Instead, he comes on in the last quarter and gets 2 kicks. One of them was disgraceful and potentially the game changer.
Heā€™s got the ball at half forward, under no pressure. Gunston is clear running towards goal. All Finn had to do was lob the kick 30 metres and Gunston goals. But he over kicked it for a point and Essendon gained the momentum. Complete lack of kicking skills.

The player we missed in the midfield was the 2 gamer. Hustwaite has to play next week.

Again, Ward was ineffective - just tinkering around the edges.
But Sam loves Finn and I agree with you totally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The longer the day goes, the worse the taste in the mouth. I didn't go into today expecting a premiership, but I did think we would do much better than we showed today. To be showing improvement, we just had to defeat Essendon today, and we failed. People can look at "if and but" scenarios but I deal in facts. We just weren't good enough today and I really feel as a club we've taken a step backwards and have to start all over again. Sorry to be so negative, but it's been quite a while since I've been so disappointed as I am tonight. We need to win next week or the season is gone.

Improvement is very rarely linear. There were certainly still some positives today but frustrating result. Good teams are built on years of continuity and time together. Weā€™ve shown enough even last year alone with a few great wins (stk, Coll, Bris, WB) to warrant sticking to our plan

i really liked that Worpel was very direct for the majority of the game, straightened us up and gave us a chance

Nash was putrid, didnt run to defensive areas, didnt move much at all, seemed uninterested, can he only chip kick? completely ruined an opportunity 20m from goal, turnovers, terrible hands, in terrible form, needs a rocket up his a$$ or make room for Hustwaite

Chol and Watson were both nervous early, Chol finally starts to feel comfortable and kicking goals only to be subbed?

i dont think many players in our team know how to defend actively, its all passive defensive efforts, sitting back, its frustrating, it seemed we were in control for the majority of the game except patches in the last quarter and still we gave up 107 points... god help us when we dont control games... (maybe being harsh because of the ridiculous accuracy of essendon, you could argue its because they can run down the middle of i50 without pressure... also the handful of umpire gifts they got straight in front)

Poor kicking at goal killed us, during the preseason we were very accurate and in round 1 we just fell apart in that area, it doesnt help they kick all their shots which then adds pressure to our lot.

the lack of defensive efforts from our mids is leaving us exposed in defence, someone needs to play that role and actually be a tackle machine, could Maginness play a dual tagger, defensive structure mid? or Nash if he pulls his finger out? something needs to happen there, we allow too many teams to walk out of the midfield into the middle of the d50.

what a wasted opportunity to get 4 points

Last edited:
"The crab" absolutely torched us today.

He had 33 touches and 619m gained, the clear most of everyone on the field. I thought BigFooty told me he was a sideways chip-scab? He ran off Watson every chance he could when he was on him.

Add to that Redman with 22 touches and 507m gained. And Martin with 25 touches and 529m gained.

Our forward line needs to work much harder to stop players like that free wheeling.

Just got back home finally. Big session afterwards.

Frustrating game. Clearly had so many chances to really take control of the game but fluffed them. Especially from some of our most senior and reliable players.

Finn as sub has to be one of the strangest decisions of recent times by Sammy. He either plays and shuts down an opponent or he is at BH. Not an impact player.

Massimo and Ginnivan were excellent. What a way to endear themselves to the fans. Massive especially was very tough at times and really put his body on the line.

Our leaders were very disappointing unfortunately.

Moore though....what a game by the little champ.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

"The crab" absolutely torched us today.

He had 33 touches and 619m gained, the clear most of everyone on the field. I thought BigFooty told me he was a sideways chip-scab? He ran off Watson every chance he could when he was on him.

Add to that Redman with 22 touches and 507m gained. And Martin with 25 touches and 529m gained.

Our forward line needs to work much harder to stop players like that free wheeling.

Honestly didn't feel their impact much at all. They didn't seem to generate many scores transitioning from half back (I actually think this is one area where defended quite well). They smashed us out of the middle though. I do agree with you though that our forwards need to tighten up against opposition half backs. A good side would absolutely kill us on transition if we give them the time and space we afforded to crabby, Reddog and Martin.

Thought their most influential players were mainly forward of centre.

Perkins, Stringer, Merrett.

For all his disposals, McGrath had a grand total of 3 score involvements. Redman 4.
Massimo and Weddle had 8. Amon 9.

The players with the highest score involvements were Perkins (9) and Stringer (7).

Why are some people against making a big offer for Tim English? He's clearly a far better player than Reeves and would improve us a lot.
Because he's a ruckman. Don't need to spend money on a ruckman, just find any unco tall bloke that can run.

My thoughts have been covered on players so all I will say is That was better than last year so we have improved, but we are still a long way off. It will be a similar year to 2023 just hopefully more competitive.
Some of that is internal development, some is adding pieces and some is just playing better. You canā€™t kick that badly and expect to win. I am glad we still have out r1 draft pick.

Watched Amon closely in his new role and he was honestly awful defensively. Couldn't track his man, couldn't kill contests, couldn't calm the pressure with loose balls. We're desperate for Seamus and Bmac to get back to take those roles and let Amon return to his wing.
Agree, is our only true wingman. We drastically need to improve this. I have hopes that Weddle and CJ can do this. Even day but we don't have the luxury of taking him out of the middle.

Neutral here.

It must be disappointing to lose a close one but some of you are too harsh. I'm excited for your team and its attacking style! You've got gun small forwards and serviceable talls. On a good day, you can outgun just about everyone except Lions and Giants.

Clearance and inaccurate kicking sucked but Hawks are looking good!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back