List Mgmt. 2024 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Here’s how RookieMe saw Cochran’s game on the weekend:

Cochran was plugged into his side’s defence as one of the many talls to rotate through there. The Swans Academy prospect could have lifted his intensity and purpose when moving from contest to contest, but was polished with ball in hand and played the basics well with strong overhead marking and efficient left-foot kicking on the rebound.

Scouting notes: https://central.rookieme.com/afl/2024/04/15/scouting-notes-afl-academy-vs-coburg-vfl/

He does looks very lackidasical when he covers the ground in general to be fiar

May be developing into an interceptor type and not a key post by the looks

Last edited:

Proof once again Sam Edmund reads Big Footy lol
DON'T READ IT bedford, it won't do your heart rate any good.

The very definition of a 'filler'.

I know not all are flavour of the month, but if there's a trade rumour floated, I tend to give much more credence to a report by Tom Morris or Cal Twomey, and to a lesser extent Jon Ralph and Mitch Cleary than I do other journos

Here’s how RookieMe saw Cochran’s game on the weekend:

Cochran was plugged into his side’s defence as one of the many talls to rotate through there. The Swans Academy prospect could have lifted his intensity and purpose when moving from contest to contest, but was polished with ball in hand and played the basics well with strong overhead marking and efficient left-foot kicking on the rebound.

Scouting notes: https://central.rookieme.com/afl/2024/04/15/scouting-notes-afl-academy-vs-coburg-vfl/

Link to the replay of last weekend's game:

DON'T READ IT bedford, it won't do your heart rate any good.

The very definition of a 'filler'.

I know not all are flavour of the month, but if there's a trade rumour floated, I tend to give much more credence to a report by Tom Morris or Cal Twomey, and to a lesser extent Jon Ralph and Mitch Cleary than I do other journos
Morris is my man , can't stand Ralph,
Straight swap , i like him

I’m somewhat surprised - but Ashton Warner hasn’t been selected in the WA u/18’s squad.

Happily, it’s dominated by Claremont kids, so I’ll get to see a few in action as the season progresses.

I’m somewhat surprised - but Ashton Warner hasn’t been selected in the WA u/18’s squad.

Happily, it’s dominated by Claremont kids, so I’ll get to see a few in action as the season progresses.

Ashton really needs a growth spurt this year. At present he looks like a nuggety back pocket from the early 70’s.

From the article re academy and father son:

AFL clubs will be forced to pay a higher price for star academy and father-son players as part of an overhaul of the draft points system.

The league told all 18 clubs in a meeting of football general managers on Tuesday a revamp of the draft points system was in the works as part of a discussion about the trade and drat system.

It means clubs such as Gold Coast would not get as much of a discount on brilliant first-round academy prospects taken in the first round of the draft after securing four homegrown guns last year including Jed Walter.

But the northern-states clubs will strongly defend their ability to continue to develop and recruit local talents who could otherwise play other sports.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe he’s still growing & has been reported at 199 recently.

I’ll wander over to some Claremont colts games as the season progresses and doubtless have a draft crush before too long.

And to appease JackHiscoxWasFast - I know a bit about Austin Van Der Struyf through Claremont …. he’d satisfy your craving for a new hyphenator. AVDF - beats those triple decker names any day of the week. He’s highly rated over here in the west (like Gus, captained Christchurch Grammar) - a bit small in stature, but could readily be drafted.
From the draft board - Austin Van Der Struyf is a very quick player from WA, his speed and attacking mindset is useful at the next level

Reckon we've found the ideal draft crush for JackHiscoxWasFast

History is cyclic.

Traditional footy states have an advantage --> AFL introduces a concession for Northern clubs --> Traditional footy states complain about it --> AFL takes it away --> Traditional footy states have an advantage.

And round and round we go.

Useless organisation.

If the AFL did not call the shots at three of the four Northern Clubs, there would be a case for industrial action, g refusing to play at Docklands, Launy and Hobart.

Unhappily we along with GoCo and Giants are little more than indentured servants.

Just die mendicant Clubs like Norf, Dogs and Saints.

Let the Comp return to the VFL. I am completely over it. GoCo after being pillaged by fat lazy Vic Clubs for years finally get a great draft of local kids.

We should all closely watch how Pridham reacts.

No issue with the changes if they get them right and don’t need to change it every year it’s fine. The points curve was horrible every person knew that if this has made this curve better that’s good. You can’t have junk 30 picks equaling a top 3 pick.

If the AFL did not call the shots at three of the four Northern Clubs, there would be a case for industrial action, g refusing to play at Docklands, Launy and Hobart.

Unhappily we along with GoCo and Giants are little more than indentured servants.

Just die mendicant Clubs like Norf, Dogs and Saints.

Let the Comp return to the VFL. I am completely over it. GoCo after being pillaged by fat lazy Vic Clubs for years finally get a great draft of local kids.

We should all closely watch how Pridham reacts.
I think that is a tad dramatic.

A fairer bidding system for northern academies and f/s should have been in place years ago.

As long as it is just a revaluing of what higher picks are actually worth - e.g. Pick 1 is not equal to a handful of selections in the 30s - then it will be fairer for everyone.

Last edited:
Northern academies have a purpose... the nga's are an appeasement to the Vic clubs. Only one should remain in use

And it's an appeasement based on bleating from Victorian clubs about unfair advantages as if Victorian clubs haven't won 15 of the past 17 premierships. If the Northern Academies are such an unfair advantage, it sure shows itself in a funny way.

AFL clubs will be forced to pay a higher price for star academy and father-son players as part of an overhaul of the draft points system.

The league told all 18 clubs in a meeting of football general managers on Tuesday a revamp of the draft points system was in the works as part of a discussion about the trade and drat system.

It means clubs such as Gold Coast would not get as much of a discount on brilliant first-round academy prospects taken in the first round of the draft after securing four homegrown guns last year including Jed Walter.

But the northern-states clubs will strongly defend their ability to continue to develop and recruit local talents who could otherwise play other sports.
Here's the video summary from the journo who wrote this article

The correct solution is to merge Footscray, hawthorn, st kilda and the demons.

Then kick them out of the competition.

One problem I foresee is that non-northern clubs may overbid for players to push up their price. GC deserved their 4 guns but could never have got the picks otherwise.

Does anyone know what the proposed changes actually are? Seems a lot of this and that.
Nope. Would assume it's a combination of things e.g.

• NGA bid matching moves up a bit to placate other clubs
  • Academy and F/S selections in the first round or all rounds have a lower discount
  • Maybe a discount on only 1 Academy player in first round per year, to placate other clubs dismayed at Gold Coast's 2023 haul

Remove this Banner Ad

Back