Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 93 55.7%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 10 6.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Trust David Walls.

Possibly the most important person in our entire organisation other than the head coach.

I’ve been sneaking a few looks at those excellent videos noobermensch has put together on the draft board and there’s talent around.
Josh Smillie plays a lot like Paddy Cripps.
Christian Moraes another top 10 talent with a keen eye for a goal, would slot in nicely for us I reckon.
Urquart seems to be the highest regarded WA player, a bit of a recent bolter apparently, from east freo.

Trust David Walls.

Possibly the most important person in our entire organisation other than the head coach.

I’ve been sneaking a few looks at those excellent videos noobermensch has put together on the draft board and there’s talent around.
Josh Smillie plays a lot like Paddy Cripps.
Christian Moraes another top 10 talent with a keen eye for a goal, would slot in nicely for us I reckon.
Urquart seems to be the highest regarded WA player, a bit of a recent bolter apparently, from east freo.
Resist the temptation of the mids brother, we need forwards stat!

I think our multiple first rounders will be extra valuable for the lower ranked teams desperate to restock with young talent before the Tassie team comes in.

I know but…. Shiny toys and all that!
Moraes looks a Chad Warner type, maybe even Toby Greene. Hybrid forward/mid
On your previous comment, Walls tends to get all the credit but we must remember the hard work all the scouts do. For many years Roger Hayden has worked many weekends flying up and down the state while raising two boys. Probably other names that do similar work as well.

Twomey says its a chance to be up there with the superdrafts, 01,18,19 but probably just a rung below

He said there isn't standouts just a really great spread of talent

So... you're saying there is even more reason for optimism?!

The decade of dominance has begun!

If we need to trade the picks should get us value. If we choose to keep them, the picks should give us great value!

Happy Love It GIF by E!

On your previous comment, Walls tends to get all the credit but we must remember the hard work all the scouts do. For many years Roger Hayden has worked many weekends flying up and down the state while raising two boys. Probably other names that do similar work as well.
That’s true but I’ve chatted to Caleb Serongs dad a number of times in recent years at work events and it’s very very clear that David Walls is the kingmaker when it comes to recruitment of players at freo.
For example when Liam Serong trained with us it was Wallsy that made the call that he wasn’t quite ready for an AFL list.
It also appears wallsy is heavily involved in contract extensions and negotiations.

That’s true but I’ve chatted to Caleb Serongs dad a number of times in recent years at work events and it’s very very clear that David Walls is the kingmaker when it comes to recruitment of players at freo.
For example when Liam Serong trained with us it was Wallsy that made the call that he wasn’t quite ready for an AFL list.
It also appears wallsy is heavily involved in contract extensions and negotiations.
In walls, we trust. I don't mind going into a GWS like super cycle where we trade our great drafted players who are squeezed out for high picks. Potentially snowballing them into the next rebuild phase.

In walls, we trust. I don't mind going into a GWS like super cycle where we trade our great drafted players who are squeezed out for high picks. Potentially snowballing them into the next rebuild phase.
Hmm yeah I’m not sure that’s quite as easy for us, despite the large amount of draft capital we have this year. We don’t get the academy free hits that GWS have done over the last decade for a start.
In saying that, first round picks are now more valuable than ever before and second and third rounders have never been less valuable so it’s a nice position for us to be in.
It’s also worth noting GWS have rarely/never traded in a big A grade star or indeed even a B grade star for significant draft capital.
That’s not like us neither. They have heaps of first round picks because they aren’t spending them on the likes of Luke Jackson or Chad Warner or Logan mcdonald

In the words of Brad Pitt or whatever that bloke he played in the movies name was

If Lukosuis is such a great player why doesn’t he play great

Deadset cat

Whatever we’ve built we’ve built on competitiveness and character

This has been mentioned by the club ad nauseam

Try to pay attention peepholes

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

In the words of Brad Pitt or whatever that bloke he played in the movies name was

Deadset cat

I’ve always felt there’s a touch of softness about Jack Lukosius. No doubt he’s a skilful guy. A 200cm player with beautiful foot-skills, on paper he looks the prototype modern AFL big man.

But when the finals come around - you need players with that dawg in them. Fighters, tough tigerish players that roll up the sleeves and get stuck in.
Liam Baker fits this mould 100%. So does guys like Luke Ryan and Caleb, and Treacy, and even Alex Pearce is a hard bastard on the field this season.

If Lukosius is that good, as you say - why would Dimma let him go?

I’ve always felt there’s a touch of softness about Jack Lukosius. No doubt he’s a skilful guy. A 200cm player with beautiful foot-skills, on paper he looks the prototype modern AFL big man.

But when the finals come around - you need players with that dawg in them. Fighters, tough tigerish players that roll up the sleeves and get stuck in.
Liam Baker fits this mould 100%. So does guys like Luke Ryan and Caleb, and Treacy, and even Alex Pearce is a hard bastard on the field this season.

If Lukosius is that good, as you say - why would Dimma let him go?

Why did GC let Sharp go?

Gunston did ok in finals.

We would not be asking him to play as the primary KPF, he would be a 3rd or 4th tall.

I think Baker is a better fit for us, but Lukosius would also make us better so it comes down to Salary, Draft picks to some extent.

Why did GC let Sharp go?

We would not be asking him to play as the primary KPF, he would be a 3rd or 4th tall.

I think Baker is a better fit for us, but Lukosius would also make us better so it comes down to Salary, Draft picks to some extent.
I’m sure he’s a decent player. Big difference between sharp and lukosius though.
Sharp was a freebie. If he plays 10 good games for freo it’s a win. If he was a total spud - no hard done. It was worth a shot.

Lukosius would cost an eye watering amount in draft picks. Contracted to 2026 - I’d say you are looking at at least two first round picks with one in the top 10 and a minimum $1m in salary

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sure he’s a decent player. Big difference between sharp and lukosius though.
Sharp was a freebie. If he plays 10 good games for freo it’s a win. If he was a total spud - no hard done. It was worth a shot.

Lukosius would cost an eye watering amount in draft picks. Contracted to 2026 - I’d say you are looking at at least two first round picks with one in the top 10 and a minimum $1m in salary

Agree. If he is not pushed out GC, then you don't entertain the trade.

Deadset cat

He's not Jonathan Brown but I can't remember him shirking a contest either. Not sure where you're coming from tbh.

Agree. If he is not pushed out GC, then you don't entertain the trade.
Short of them getting their hooks into another KPF first and depleting their trade capital, Adelaide will go after him in a big way. Further pushing his price up.

But should the stars align and say Lukosius is thinking he's not valued at the Suns, it'd be remiss of us not to have been selling him the Freo dream. Hard. There's ways and means to reduce trade price tags to something less eye watering and still keep footy club egos in check.

Why did GC let Sharp go?

Not sure the relevance of Sharp to Lukosius.

GC had an abundance of midfielders and at the end of 2022 he asked for a trade whilst still having a year remaining on contract. GC paid a high draft pick trade price for Sharp (pick 11) from memory so couldn’t just trade him away for a third which was all Freo were willing to give.

Stewart Dew also seemed to not be a fan and perhaps it was his lack of hardness I don’t know but he had his card marked with Dew. By the time King came into the role they knew he was gone.

As for Lukosius he seems to be played out of position this year. In saying that he has played half back in his early years. He isn’t your KPF or CHF in the mould of Amiss and Treacy. More like a roaming tall half forward. He could be a good compliment for Amiss/Treacy. Honestly though he is an SA boy and has no ties to WA. So I don’t know how we would be a realistic chance of him wanting to come West.

Where are we with Erasmus? Does he see a future with Freo? Do we?

I really think he can be a massive part of our midfield rotations but he’s behind many in a similar role. He may have to tread water until about 2026, which I’d hope he does.

As many have stated we have Fyfe, JOM, Brodie who all play in a similar style. Come 2026 those guys will likely be gone.

I think Shai Bolton is 0 chance to leave BUT if Freo want to throw Hail Marys we should place 3x first rounders, Erasmus and Brodie for Shai and Baker.

Richmond get 2 competent midfielders in an area they’re weak.

We get 2 guys that we desperately need. Pace, skill and forward half impact.

We are genuinely 2 forward half skilful players away from a potential regular top 6 side for 5+ years.

That deal is beyond gross

I mean it would never be 3x1st and 2 guys for just 2 guys. We’d get 2nds back if that sort of deal was ever offered.

But, what exactly is ‘gross’ about it?

We get 2 genuine impact players NOT hopefuls. We lose 2 guys not playing and some lottery tickets.

It’s more laughable on this thread that people think we’ll even get Shai. At least I’m throwing out a deal that would be needed, not saying ‘fair’.

You think Tigers are just going to let Shai leave for market value when years to run on contract? Shai is less than 1% leaving.

I mean it would never be 3x1st and 2 guys for just 2 guys. We’d get 2nds back if that sort of deal was ever offered.

But, what exactly is ‘gross’ about it?

We get 2 genuine impact players NOT hopefuls. We lose 2 guys not playing and some lottery tickets.

It’s more laughable on this thread that people think we’ll even get Shai. At least I’m throwing out a deal that would be needed, not saying ‘fair’.

You think Tigers are just going to let Shai leave for market value when years to run on contract? Shai is less than 1% leaving.

It depends how highly you rate Bolton and Baker.

Neither are small forwards, both are forward flanks\mids. We badly need 1 or 2 small forwards.

You are giving up a lot of capital, with out the ability to fill the main hole on our list.

GC's position is not as good as people think it is. Similar to the resources curse.
1. GC use their AFL concessions to draft great young talent every year
2. Leads to a surplus of young talent on their list
3. Forced to field a young team every round
4. Lose games because of young team
5. Pay overs to keep some of their players
6. Other players leave for more pay/opportunity
7. Repeat.
I think they’ve addressed 5 and 6 now with an AFL appointed coach and the academy picks - plus smarter player selection at draft and trade time to pick players less likely to want away.

If you look at their list profile they’ve got an incredible core of players coming through together with 50-150 games experience (and then some more with less than 50 games), who are likely to stick together while success builds.

They’re going to be a good team in 2025, and very good in 26-29 I reckon.

Back