Autopsy 2024 Rd 7 Blues Go Down To Classy Cats In A Belter

Who played well for the Blues in Round 7 vs the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Frustrating, losing a game where you feel you've put in enough effort to win but can't finish off the good work. Given the opposition, our injury list, our wastefulness in front of goals and some questionable decision making I'm ok with that result knowing we'll be much better next time we play them.

Clearly need to tighten up defensive transition. I guess the game was epitomised in the last quarter by the play where poor old Binnsy found himself defending Jeremy Cameron. This was just after we'd closed the gap to 8 points and had some momentum.

Zac Williams has been underwhelming ever since he came to Carlton. Could we get more bang for buck playing him up the ground? Lewis Young once again demonstrated that he lacks the competitiveness to be a player at this level. He constantly loses his opponent. Not good if you're in the side to defend.

Our small forwards are not cutting it at the moment. If they're not kicking goals they need to be maxing themselves out defending transition, but they're constantly nowhere. Neither front and square or pressurising without ball. A big lift in intensity is required.

Our midfield was pretty good. Gave us enough opportunities to win.

I have no comment on the umpires.

We're still very much a WIP but I'm enjoying the ride. Bring on the Pies.

Does anyone else notice how ineffective our defensive strategy is when the opposition are running the ball down the middle of wing of the ground? Our player will leave their man to run up to the ball carrier, have essentially no effect then the ball is passed to the player just left free.
Stood out yesterday, allowed the over the top release handball or kick far too often.

Need to create more doubt in the player with the ball at times.

If Voss is a basketball fan he needs to get them to work on hedge & recover techniques as well as knowing when to help and not over helping !!

Williams is especially frustrating because you see the signs, the moments of the player he can be. Then too many other occasions he's turning over relatively simple kicks or not defending well.

But I swear the last couple games he's been carrying something, he doesn't seem right. That's not completely excusing him, he's been a bit of a disappointment ever since he came compared to his pay packet, BUT I do think he's not entirely fit either.

Watched the replay

So many simple mistakes
To many passengers
Went away from plan that worked well last week
Missing easy early goals festered in us like a disease

Yet we still could have won
would like to watch a replay (was at the G) but not sure I need the angst today!

Maybe tomorrow night.

But that is my memory of the game - a lot of dumb, basic skill errors.

You can't see it on TV but at the ground and certainly for the past few weeks now, I have observed multiple times Durdin sighting his direct opponent run off him and he chooses to casually jog or even walk.

This makes your blood boil. Our defense starts in the forward half. If we do not have any pressure on the rebound 50 we are not set up behind the ball and the oppositions get an easy transition.

It is not a surprise that we've looked noticeably shakier defensively with Cunningham and Fogarty out. Both of these players average 4 tackles/game; we are effectively and 8 tackle/game side better with them there. Both contribute highly to our front half defensive game. It was compounded yesterday with Orazio out who does similar.

We desperately need to get the defensive intent back into our front half. Our fortune this year really depends on it

Stood out yesterday, allowed the over the top release handball or kick far too often.

Need to create more doubt in the player with the ball at times.

If Voss is a basketball fan he needs to get them to work on hedge & recover techniques as well as knowing when to help and not over helping !!

I thought it was the worst our defence has worked as a group all year

Young is just not up to it
Cowan is young and developing
Williams coming back from knee and is NOT a good one on one player
Boyd is great but like to see involved more
Kemp was quiet
Weitering & Newman carried us

We miss the composure or Saad & McGovern along with their combination with Weitering Boyd & Newman

Does anyone else notice how ineffective our defensive strategy is when the opposition are running the ball down the middle of wing of the ground? Our player will leave their man to run up to the ball carrier, have essentially no effect then the ball is passed to the player just left free.

It's what you should do, unfortunately it starts with our forwards and mids shutting down outlets and then others need to peel off their direct opponents and push forward and sideways to cover

I thought it was the worst our defence has worked as a group all year

Young is just not up to it
Cowan is young and developing
Williams coming back from knee and is NOT a good one on one player
Boyd is great but like to see involved more
Kemp was quiet
Weitering & Newman carried us

We miss the composure or Saad & McGovern along with their combination with Weitering Boyd & Newman
Agree with all that but it starts further up the ground, just not enough efficiency or power running within our forward & mid group either which compounds the issues down back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's what you should do, unfortunately it starts with our forwards and mids shutting down outlets and then others need to peel off their direct opponents and push forward and sideways to cover
Yes and no

It starts with the forwards getting better pressure on the rebound so they don't get such a clean exit, and allow the mids another few seconds to cover

Agree with all that but it starts further up the ground, just not enough efficiency or power running within our forward & mid group either which compounds the issues down back.

I understand that and you are right but IMO our defence still didn’t have a good day working as a group and helping each other

I understand that and you are right but IMO our defence still didn’t have a good day working as a group and helping each other
No doubt, issues defensively all over the ground which is great ammunition for Voss and the coaching group going forward.

No doubt, issues defensively all over the ground which is great ammunition for Voss and the coaching group going forward.

It felt to me like a few players just didn’t contribute and as such we fell apart defensively. Our style needs a complete buy in this area.

I’d love to know what Voss thinks but that’s my take

Williams is especially frustrating because you see the signs, the moments of the player he can be. Then too many other occasions he's turning over relatively simple kicks or not defending well.

But I swear the last couple games he's been carrying something, he doesn't seem right. That's not completely excusing him, he's been a bit of a disappointment ever since he came compared to his pay packet, BUT I do think he's not entirely fit either.
He was always going to be a bit up and down coming off a knee reco, but we couldn't foresee Doc, Gov and Saad all going down early. Probably has meant a bigger workload he wasn't quite going to be ready for. He'll improve once they return.

I would bring in Cincotta and play Williams wing. He is a good runner and can find the ball. Ollie is struggling at the moment and needs to go back

Cincotta is better one on one and will do a job until Saad is back

Interestingly we were better defensively after half time without Williams against GWS imo.

Would prefer to move him also and Cincotta has grunt.

Cream rises to the top and that's what happened yesterday. We are nowhere near our full side and Geelong have some very classy players. We should have won that battle yesterday which is heartening to see, given our injuries. However it's also infuriating at the same time because I feel we lost the match and they didn't win it.
👏 👏 👏

Back