Player Watch Rory Sloane - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? Because a footy club supposed to be a family. You don't sh*t on members of the family. Especially on those that worked hard to make the family better. One might criticise some of the decisions made, but don't put down a player that has given all he could and call him selfish and greedy. But that's just my take.

Why? Because a footy club supposed to be a family. You don't sh*t on members of the family. Especially on those that worked hard to make the family better. One might criticise some of the decisions made, but don't put down a player that has given all he could and call him selfish and greedy. But that's just my take.
It's just a BF thing. Every team's board on here is full of people shitting on their players whenever they play poorly, every coach is hated unless they've just been hired or just won a flag. It's nothing to do with any particular club.

Find it weird when people don’t accept that basically all professional athletes are selfish and greedy, heck most humans are selfish and greedy on some level, it’s the nature of professional sports worldwide if you don’t back it up with success and performance whilst being selfish and greedy especially in a team sport you of course are open for at least some criticism no matter what you done previously.

No one is saying he wasn’t a good player or a person his teammates and most supporters loved over his career but you can’t turn a blind eye and say everything was rosey in the back half of his career just because he achieved good things in the past and is great guy.

So does that make us cousins?

I can now understand why the boys next door think of the Adelaide crows as a franchise and not a real footy club.

Because they are idiots I think is the answer you are looking for. We all understood that a long time ago.

Fancy thinking the Port board are clean skins when it comes to this stuff. I've seen some spectacular fails in my time but damn.

Find it weird when people don’t accept that basically all professional athletes are selfish and greedy, heck most humans are selfish and greedy on some level, it’s the nature of professional sports worldwide if you don’t back it up with success and performance whilst being selfish and greedy especially in a team sport you of course are open for at least some criticism no matter what you done previously.

No one is saying he wasn’t a good player or a person his teammates and most supporters loved over his career but you can’t turn a blind eye and say everything was rosey in the back half of his career just because he achieved good things in the past and is great guy.

I agree, but by the same token I find it very strange when people then single out players and claim they are selfish or ego-driven or whatever.

Yeah, all elite sportspeople are. They wouldn't have gotten to the elite level without being that way.

We shouldn't expect sportspeople to put their club before themselves, or for that matter to even be able to judge their own shortcomings accurately. That's not their job. Their job is to just keep trying to turn up and be ready to perform.

It's up to the clubs to decide when a player no longer has a place on the list, or no longer has a place in the starting side. And it's up to the clubs to set metrics that value actions which benefit the team, rather than selfish actions (stat padding, etc).

I just can't get on board with the idea that we should hold it against Sloane that he received a contract extension to this year, or that he was able to get a lucrative contract because other clubs wanted to poach him. If that is the standard we're going to have then the vast majority of good players are going to run afoul of it.

Good luck with everything in the future Sloaney!

Absolute legend of the club and will always remember his debut - he didn't get alot of the ball but he was in everything laying 7 tackles. Knew then he'd make it through sheer effort if nothing else.

Few sliding door moments and he could be a premiership player and brownlow winner - but still an impressive career none the less.

A decent player in his peak who got the most out of his skillset. The club got their in the end. Hopefully smith is the next to move on.

I wish we had a young player like Sloane on the list.

Unconditional effort, maximises his talent, capacity to lift the team and seems like a great bloke to have at a club.

He had his limitations that stopped him being in the ultra elite of players but he wasn't far off for a few seasons predominantly on effort and determination.

I agree, but by the same token I find it very strange when people then single out players and claim they are selfish or ego-driven or whatever.

Yeah, all elite sportspeople are. They wouldn't have gotten to the elite level without being that way.

We shouldn't expect sportspeople to put their club before themselves, or for that matter to even be able to judge their own shortcomings accurately. That's not their job. Their job is to just keep trying to turn up and be ready to perform.

It's up to the clubs to decide when a player no longer has a place on the list, or no longer has a place in the starting side. And it's up to the clubs to set metrics that value actions which benefit the team, rather than selfish actions (stat padding, etc).

I just can't get on board with the idea that we should hold it against Sloane that he received a contract extension to this year, or that he was able to get a lucrative contract because other clubs wanted to poach him. If that is the standard we're going to have then the vast majority of good players are going to run afoul of it.
The issue is that Sloane is lauded as a saint and loyal for sticking around, when in reality he did it because we come to the party and gave him a contract higher than he was going to get elsewhere and more than we wanted to.

The issue is that Sloane is lauded as a saint and loyal for sticking around, when in reality he did it because we come to the party and gave him a contract higher than he was going to get elsewhere and more than we wanted to.
We are taking about 2018 yeah?
He stuck around for 10 years before that.

We are taking about 2018 yeah?
He stuck around for 10 years before that.
Yeah I am. That’s the contract he’s lauded for when we had other players leaving. He even said he had to make sure he looked after himself, that’s fine, but at the same time he can’t be put on some pedestal for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I am. That’s the contract he’s lauded for when we had other players leaving. He even said he had to make sure he looked after himself, that’s fine, but at the same time he can’t be put on some pedestal for it.
Still reckon he should get credited for staying before that though, danger, gunston, Davis, bock, Tippett all left before that and he stayed (and was probably underpaid in that time period)

Fair enough but that’s not what people refer to.
Still believe you could call him a loyal player period over his career, otherwise no one can be called loyal, every player gets well paid just some better than others.
Can’t think of too many high profile players that stay for unders in another state to their home state.

Still believe you could call him a loyal player period over his career, otherwise no one can be called loyal, every player gets well paid just some better than others.
Can’t think of too many high profile players that stay for unders in another state to their home state.
Had he not injured his foot I don’t think we’d be calling him loyal.

Still reckon he should get credited for staying before that though, danger, gunston, Davis, bock, Tippett all left before that and he stayed (and was probably underpaid in that time period)

I was going to touch on this too

His signature at the time was a bit of a watershed moment for the club.

A big named player knocking back overtures from Vic to stay at the club is the sort of commitment that helps build culture within the playing group.

Even though Rory was never quite been the same since his foot injury, getting him to sign was massively important to the club.

Don’t think I’ve referred to him as not being loyal, I said he shouldn’t be held up to be a saint for staying when we said he had to look after himself at a time when he knew we had an issue with player retention and used it to his advantage to get more than we wanted to give.

Also didn’t rate him as a captain, his support for Collective Minds at a detriment to some of his teammates doesn’t sit well with me either

Don’t think I’ve referred to him as not being loyal, I said he shouldn’t be held up to be a saint for staying when we said he had to look after himself at a time when he knew we had an issue with player retention and used it to his advantage to get more than we wanted to give.

Also didn’t rate him as a captain, his support for Collective Minds at a detriment to some of his teammates doesn’t sit well with me either
Agree with that. Tex was a part of that though too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back