Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 8 - Blues v Pies Fri May 3rd 7:40pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 38 36.2%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It does matter.
They have proven players who held up when it mattered most. Even last week against a fairly underrated side in Essendon, gave them a 4 goal head start and still reeled them in.
If Collingwood start the game much better, Carlton will find it difficult.

Carlton have beaten GWS and all the other games have been fairly scrappy affairs.
Fresh off a grand final, at their unbeatable fortress, Lions play possibly their best opening quarter of footy in god knows how long...
1714532308524.png

A lot of teams would have trouble clawing back a start like that and the mental hurdle of doing it in Brisbane can't be underestimated.
5.11 vs 11.8 for the remaining 3 quarters. I don't think claims like the bolded can be substantiated in any way.
1714532511780.png

If they lose, I assume Carlton will trot out the "missing half our side" excuse (as if they're the only team with injuries). In reality, they're missing or may be missing Cerra, McGovern and Saad as walkups from their best 22 of 2024; the rest are of marginal influence or relevance and half are VFL scrubbers.

Like just about everyone else in the competition.
They've been laying the groundwork for that for a few weeks now

You'd think having their epic 2015 draft KPP haul fit and firing and in their golden window would be enough... but no, they need their injury-prone flankers they moneyball-recruited from other clubs

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If they lose, I assume Carlton will trot out the "missing half our side" excuse (as if they're the only team with injuries). In reality, they're missing or may be missing Cerra, McGovern and Saad as walkups from their best 22 of 2024; the rest are of marginal influence or relevance and half are VFL scrubbers.

Pffft, Carlton is always so easy to predict when grouped under one persona with a shared consciousness provided by a handful of cherry picked lunatics commenting on an internet forum.

That's a fairly reasonable take, but it ignores the fact that Fogarty was a lock in the side. He will never be a star, but was a vital cog in F50 (even attending some stoppages). His forward defensive pressure was important in giving our forwards multiple chances at scoring, and slowing the oppositions rebound, allowing the mids/defenders to set up down the field. He was leading the league in F50 tackles.
As good as Cerra is, we can probably cover for him better than other areas, but Gov and Saad are two of our best drivers of the ball off half back and set up a lot of our attack. Missing one isn't too bad. Missing both dramatically changes ho w dangerous we are on the rebound.
The others may just be "VFL scrubbers" (pretty ordinary term), but 4-5 of them would've been next in line to replace the above. So they were replaced in the side by 3rd options. To the point that our VFL side had no players with actual AFL games under their belt. We fielded 7 AFL listed players with zero games, compared to Geelong's 15 players with 404 games experience.

Nobody's claiming we're the only team with injuries, but not many have injuries that cut as deep. That's not an excuse, it's a FACT. The ones playing still have to just get out there and get the job done though.

Fresh off a grand final, at their unbeatable fortress, Lions play possibly their best opening quarter of footy in god knows how long...
View attachment 1975936

A lot of teams would have trouble clawing back a start like that and the mental hurdle of doing it in Brisbane can't be underestimated.
5.11 vs 11.8 for the remaining 3 quarters. I don't think claims like the bolded can be substantiated in any way.
View attachment 1975938

Claims like mine?
You and your supporter base have just spent the past week telling me you should have won the game had you kicked straight or had fit players to choose from.

You'd think having their epic 2015 draft KPP haul fit and firing and in their golden window would be enough... but no, they need their injury-prone flankers they moneyball-recruited from other clubs

This is a really poor attempt, even for you.

With Fadge thankfully gone, there’s no need to try and pick up the slack.

Best 22 players improve every side, whether you rate them or not.

You need your moneyball players mate, ask Bobby Hill without him no premiership last year.

You're not worth the effort.

Going by the way your supporters heckled their own players early last season after another loss, it speaks volumes.
The claim was:
If Collingwood start the game much better, Carlton will find it difficult.
He disagreed, with charts.

What's the - universally condemned - stuff from last year got to do with it?

The claim was:

He disagreed, with charts.

What's the - universally condemned - stuff from last year got to do with it?

And I stand by those comments.

Comparing Collingwood to Brisbane is blasphemy for starters.
They are not Collingwood and have proven this to date.

Again, If Collingwood are even at quarter time, and don't give up a 3-4 goal start as they did against Port Adelaide and Essendon, they will probably beat Carlton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're not worth the effort.

Going by the way your supporters heckled their own players early last season after another loss, it speaks volumes.
What effort? You've put none in. You ignored the point of my post and replied with some rubbish, then when called out on it, you chuck a tanty and bring up something else that's completely irrelevant.

And I stand by those comments.

Comparing Collingwood to Brisbane is blasphemy for starters.
They are not Collingwood and have proven this to date.

Again, If Collingwood are even at quarter time, and don't give up a 3-4 goal start as they did against Port Adelaide and Essendon, they will probably beat Carlton.
Sounds kind of oddly specific to me.

Carlton have been putting the pedal to the metal in the 3rd, overcoming some big deficits to win or very close to it.

I haven't watched a lot of Collingwood this year but what are they doing that gives them the edge off of your listed prerequisites?

Chuck a tanty?
Again, did you see your supporters carry on last year round 13. Wouldn't that be classified as a tanty?

What’s that got to do with Carlton v Collingwood?

Can I suggest either contributing to the topic or trolling elsewhere?

You need your moneyball players mate, ask Bobby Hill without him no premiership last year.
Assuming Cerra, Cuningham and Fantasia return, you're only missing McGovern, Motlop, Martin, Fogarty and Saad from your best possible team in 2024, it's really not that crippling especially when you've got 2 Coleman medallists, a Brownlow medallist, Ayres medallist and AA squad full back ALL in career-best form

Assuming Cerra, Cuningham and Fantasia return, you're only missing McGovern, Motlop, Martin, Fogarty and Saad from your best possible team in 2024, it's really not that crippling especially when you've got 2 Coleman medallists, a Brownlow medallist, Ayres medallist and AA squad full back ALL in career-best form

You need the soldiers to compliment the star players, heck you guys were even saying that Frampton played his part in your GF win last season.

Chuck a tanty?
Again, did you see your supporters carry on last year round 13. Wouldn't that be classified as a tanty?
Yes, and the vast majority of us condemned those actions.
Again, zero relevance to the discussion that you fail to be keeping up with. You just keep deflecting to irrelevant past events.

You need the soldiers to compliment the star players, heck you guys were even saying that Frampton played his part in your GF win last season.
Frampton was HUGE, club hero

Yes soldiers are great but generals are much much better

I'd feel more confident as a Pie if all of Fogarty, Saad, Martin and Motlop were in and someone like Cripps or Curnow was out

Gov is the only name that stands out for me on that injury list, he's terrifying like his brother

Well kinda, yeah.

When we have a full list to choose from or close to it I'd back us to be competitive with anyone, but I think the very best teams still bat a fair bit deeper than we do and have better capacity to cover injuries. Case in point with our issues in defence at the moment - Saad, McGovern and Doc out, thats half our absolute walk-up start backline and we just aren't good/deep enough to cover that yet.

Frampton was HUGE, club hero

Yes soldiers are great but generals are much much better

I'd feel more confident as a Pie if all of Fogarty, Saad, Martin and Motlop were in and someone like Cripps or Curnow was out

Gov is the only name that stands out for me on that injury list, he's terrifying like his brother

Pies are going to be missing a couple so I'm sure nobody will be bringing up injuries after the game.

Carlton based on form should win this by about 2-3 goals. Collingwood's midfield is their weak point and that's Carlton's strength. Unlike Geelong, Collingwood have been quite average defensively this year. Since Carlton are one of the best front half teams this year, it should result in Carlton dominating territory and ultimately winning the game.

Although Collingwood punish turnovers quite heavily so Carlton better limit them if they want the 4 points.

Back