Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Another last quarter fade out for our boys, listening to radio we were lucky to be as close as we were unfortunately.

Pales into insignificance with the rest of the results though, echo the comment about it being the darkest day in league history, on the scoreboard at least.

Another last quarter fade out for our boys, listening to radio we were lucky to be as close as we were unfortunately.

Pales into insignificance with the rest of the results though, echo the comment about it being the darkest day in league history, on the scoreboard at least.

I think the darkest day was kyneton leaving last year. Looks like they made a very good decision

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The only reason the clubs in the mallee get quality players is by cheating the salary cap by at least $150k - why would any team want to do that so that you are expensive witches hats for the sake of the comp

I was actually talking about been proactive merging and caring about your local club. The giants/thunder Ouyen and underbool are prome examples of how to merge and be proactive, your attitude is why footy around castelmaine is in decline for 15 years

When you say equalisation, what do you mean
It serves the BFNL board right for not being at all accountable for equalisation over the past 10 years. They now have one of the most uneven comps in the country so they got what they wanted. Bendigo dominance. Gisborne only competitive due to massive population for a one club town but now they will be gone due to the terrible comp.

What do you mean by equalisation. Do you want the league to give struggling teams some form of financial help? Surely the performance of a football team does not come down to what the league does/doesnt do. Youcould give Maryborough 100 points and double the salary cap and that wouldnt neccessarily equate to success. Time for them to bite the bullet and move on like Kyneton. As far as what is happening in the BFL do you really think the board doesnt realise the league is in strife? They also need to be proactive or the league will be stuffed.

What do you mean by equalisation. Do you want the league to give struggling teams some form of financial help? Surely the performance of a football team does not come down to what the league does/doesnt do. Youcould give Maryborough 100 points and double the salary cap and that wouldnt neccessarily equate to success. Time for them to bite the bullet and move on like Kyneton. As far as what is happening in the BFL do you really think the board doesnt realise the league is in strife? They also need to be proactive or the league will be stuffed.

No it wouldn’t make a difference now but 10 years ago slowly tweaking the points and salary cap would have - agree it’s too late now and they are doomed but the current board is responsible for the comp - where is the accountability they have done NOTHING

The ship has sailed for the board, no club in their right mind is going to want to join the league now - other than maybe Maiden Gully who would be so far out of their depth it’s not funny. 7 team comp next year looking more likely by the day. Gisborne have little to no interest in staying is what I have been told, just hoping to pick up a flag on their way out the door.

The ship has sailed for the board, no club in their right mind is going to want to join the league now - other than maybe Maiden Gully who would be so far out of their depth it’s not funny. 7 team comp next year looking more likely by the day. Gisborne have little to no interest in staying is what I have been told, just hoping to pick up a flag on their way out the door.
If maiden gully or Marong were to come in the have every chance of succeeding. Maybe not immediately but with some good operators on committees and continued strength of junior numbers they would get there.

Remember. Strath Storm did not exist 15 years ago

The game was stuffed when AFL Vic missed the chance to make real change and instead brought in a toothless points system and a pointless salary cap.

Here’s a question I’ve been pondering since someone posted why should the other leagues around have to change things, should the Bendigo league disband?

The game was stuffed when AFL Vic missed the chance to make real change and instead brought in a toothless points system and a pointless salary cap.

Here’s a question I’ve been pondering since someone posted why should the other leagues around have to change things, should the Bendigo league disband?

Absolutely fair question / those comps seem to be going ok with no forfeits

Surely clubs around cadtlemaine and Maryborough have to take plenty of blame. Zero thoughts if working together and thinking of what will work going forward. Much like corowa in the noth-east, there's too many cluster of clubs in short geographical distance with dwindling juniors, but instead of working together and getting a few home games they all fight and do their separate thing. So you can point the finger all you like at the bfl and hub, but that's passing the buck, why not have one major league team around maryborough and one minor league club, same with castlemaine.

If maiden gully or Marong were to come in the have every chance of succeeding. Maybe not immediately but with some good operators on committees and continued strength of junior numbers they would get there.

Remember. Strath Storm did not exist 15 years ago
I recall comments on here in the past that there is a hatred between the senior and junior divisions at Maiden Gully though, which wouldn’t bode well for success. Things were very very different 15 years ago when Strath started up. Clubs that have been around forever like Flat and South haven’t been able to bridge the gap for donkeys years, what hope would Maiden Gully be?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely clubs around cadtlemaine and Maryborough have to take plenty of blame. Zero thoughts if working together and thinking of what will work going forward. Much like corowa in the noth-east, there's too many cluster of clubs in short geographical distance with dwindling juniors, but instead of working together and getting a few home games they all fight and do their separate thing. So you can point the finger all you like at the bfl and hub, but that's passing the buck, why not have one major league team around maryborough and one minor league club, same with castlemaine.

You’re missing the point Trent. If there was only one team from the region they still wouldn’t compete. The demographics and the economic contrast between the communities in the league is too great.

It will always require equalisation measures.

A decade ago we could have had a points system introduced that had some teeth and we would be in a completely different world now. Instead AFL VIC and AFLCV cow tow to the strong clubs who use total furphies like lowering the standard to maintain status quo, and as a result we have league after league that is a predictable, boring mess full of dead or dying clubs.

Where would the clubs go?

You’re missing the point Trent. If there was only one team from the region they still wouldn’t compete. The demographics and the economic contrast between the communities in the league is too great.

It will always require equalisation measures.

A decade ago we could have had a points system introduced that had some teeth and we would be in a completely different world now. Instead AFL VIC and AFLCV cow tow to the strong clubs who use total furphies like lowering the standard to maintain status quo, and as a result we have league after league that is a predictable, boring mess full of dead or dying clubs.
I disagree if there was one major league club made up from Harcourt, Maldon, creek, newstead, and castlemaine and one minor league team, they would be far more competitive in Bendigo.

Same with Maryborough, Talbot, giants, Carisbrook, navarre and natte.

It's actually proven Ouyen won a flag when they merged and so did the giants in major leagues

Close to 200k - Milne and Baker etc don’t play for a pie and a can of coke

But yes roota you will say strath spent $70k and just had good kids blah blah

Get real. Seriously you blokes have no clue. It’s always someone else’s fault.

I feel for Maryborough I really do and if I was in a position to help I would but to blame the other clubs for their predicament or that of Castlemaine is wrong and lazy.

Be proactive or die. It’s been that way forever in country footy

I disagree if there was one major league club made up from Harcourt, Maldon, creek, newstead, and castlemaine and one minor league team, they would be far more competitive in Bendigo.

Same with Maryborough, Talbot, giants, Carisbrook, navarre and natte.

It's actually proven Ouyen won a flag when they merged and so did the giants in major leagues

That’s true in the short term but in the longer term it’s unsustainable.

Last census Castlemaine and Maryborough combined only had about 300 odd more kids from 5-15 than Strathfieldsaye did and they are heading in opposite directions fast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back