List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

No, you’ve got it backwards Mr Sr.

We need to slip in as many deadwood Pies players as possible, as all of them added up should equal something like a Sam Darcy.

Package up Begg, Carmichael, Bianco, Ruscoe, Oxley, Freeman and Blair and that’s sure to be enough pennies on the counter.
20 5c pieces for a $1 coin

Heaps of rumours of us having $$$$ in the bank.

Looking like we’ll take on Lobb’s money so that we only have to pay a future first for Smith.

We can probably spread Lobb’s $$ over 2 years with a trigger for a 3rd year.
Only? If we’re taking Lobbs contract on we’re not paying a future first for Baz.

Lobb's last season at Freo was OK.

Remember all the hand wringing when the rumors about McStay coming started? By Grand Final week last year, we were wondering what the hell we were going to do without him.

I dont know why Footscray wanted him in the first place - English, JUH, Naughton and Darcy on the way. What were they going to do with him?

If he's cheap and they pay part of his salary, why not? The King brothers, JUH, Naughton, Larkey, Allan etc are not coming.
2022 with Freo kicked 36.24
2023 with Dogs kicked 24.18
2025 with Pies kicked 12.12??? 😂

Seriously though a spud isn't getting 60 shots on goal and 42 the next season at a new club. Worth a shot if he's fit.

2MP was a salary dump at a time we had no salary space. Not sure how we could have had a crack.
The word at the time was that GC actually paid a hefty chunk of his salary.
Having said that, we still couldn’t afford anyone beyond minimum chips at that point unfortunately.

Please excuse the intrusion. The Rory Lobb situation is an interesting one and I mentioned it in the main board thread on him.

Rory Lobb just isn't on enough money to really be putting a pressure on the salary cap. I think you could more or less get him for free, he's not really worth any quality draft picks, but his contract is also not a burden either (500k for 2 years). I can see a club taking him because he's a tall who can sometimes be a somewhat decent forward/ruck but he's not on enough money that a salary dump is necessary.
500k per year for 2 years off the books is significant when you’re trying to retain stars who are getting huge offers from elsewhere, even if it’s not regarded as a particularly large contract in itself.

2022 with Freo kicked 36.24
2023 with Dogs kicked 24.18
2025 with Pies kicked 12.12??? 😂

Seriously though a spud isn't getting 60 shots on goal and 42 the next season at a new club. Worth a shot if he's fit.
He's takes a lot of contested marks. As a player, he'd suit us.

500k per year for 2 years off the books is significant when you’re trying to retain stars who are getting huge offers from elsewhere, even if it’s not regarded as a particularly large contract in itself.
Yep. It's the amount your overpaying them that matters. He's purely depth for them. At 500,000, they're overpaying him by 300 a year. It's a contract they'd be very keen to be rid of, but he'd suit both Melbourne and us where he'd be best 22.

If cox retires this season. Our current talls are as follows:

Begg: terrible in the air, not a ruck, not a KPF
Steene: unproven, always injured unfortunately
Eyre: see Steene
Kreuger: See Eyre

If that’s not desperate I’m not sure what is
It’s not desperate because Cox isn’t retiring.
Writing off 3 players based on injury seems odd unless you think any replacements would be guaranteed to be injury free?

Lobb will be 32 by the time next season starts. This is his 11th year as a player. Has once once played every game in one season (2016). Misses on average 9 games per season due to injury/ poor form

Has played 3 of 8 games this season as a forward
Had 3 kicks vs Melbourne with 80% game time
Had 10 kicks vs StK with 88% game time
Had 4 kicks vs Freo with 86% game time
Has kicked 1.1 this season
Club last month stated he could be in the VFL for sometime as they get a block of games into Sam Darcy

No Thanks

We're in for some pain. Sidebottom, Pendles, Mitchell, Howe and Cox will be gone soon. Mihocek is also getting on. I don't see an effective way to transition from them even staggering retirements. If we nail/get lucky at the trade table maybe. I expect us to dip again.
Sullivan and HH could step into mid roles at their current rate of improvement. Eyre and Dean for Howe.
Reef for Mihoceck.
Leaves just Cox. And given how maligned Cox is from week to week replacing him doesn’t seem so onerous.

Hopefully we bring in a Teakle type in the MSD.
If we get Lobb it's only for a draft pick coming to us so the Dogs can get more cap space. Maybe it could help us secure the Smith deal. Lobb is 32 next year so it's almost like having a second Cox on the list. I would much prefer Moyle.

Lobb will be 32 by the time next season starts. This is his 11th year as a player. Has once once played every game in one season (2016). Misses on average 9 games per season due to injury/ poor form

Club last month stated he could be in the VFL for sometime as they get a block of games into Sam Darcy

No Thanks
This.
People are talking about how the end has come quick for Sidebottom and we should be retiring him.
But Lobb is only one year younger and faaaaaarr less credentialed yet is seen as worthwhile. How?

This guy is in the Quentin Lynch, Jessie White and that crap defender we got from Carlton league. He’s 💯 pure whipping boy fodder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Thanks
Dogs are crap this year

Same here. He's soft. He's lazy. He's a ball watcher. He's 31. He's not going to suddenly turn into the competitive, hungry, high pressure, high intensity type of player we insist on for our game style.

Just yuk.
Disagree. He was good enough for the Dogs to pursue vigorously after a very good season with the Dockers. Fly has the ability to extract the best from players. Have some faith. How much more evidence do you need? We obviously see a short term need in his role for us so two or three years might be more than enough until we can grab or draft a big gun.

Disagree. He was good enough for the Dogs to pursue vigorously after a very good season with the Dockers. Fly has the ability to extract the best from players. Have some faith. How much more evidence do you need? We obviously see a short term need in his role for us so two or three years might be more than enough until we can grab or draft a big gun.
Who says we obviously see a short term need ? Because one reporter in SA says they wouldn't be surprised if Lobb was at the Pies or we could be approaching his management?

Evidence? Look up his stats.

He'll be 32 next year. He's soft, lazy & a ball watcher. Who cares who Bulldogs vigorously pursue? Where does their list management get them? They don't even play him.

Last edited:
That would be a monumental *-up if true. Lobb is dead ordinary.

When I first saw the Lobb news my immediate thought was that we are interested as a way to lower the trade price around Smith? Obviously surplus for requirements at the bulldogs and they have some monster contracts to stump up for if they want to keep their other big FA's. 500k cap hold reportedly for 2025, perhaps the bulldogs will be willing to lower an asking price for Smith to push Lobb off their books?

While I am not a big fan of the bloke or the player, he is unfortunately a better player at this stage than any of our depth talls and agree with the sentiment that he would be a Cox replacement

When I first saw the Lobb news my immediate thought was that we are interested as a way to lower the trade price around Smith? Obviously surplus for requirements at the bulldogs and they have some monster contracts to stump up for if they want to keep their other big FA's. 500k cap hold reportedly for 2025, perhaps the bulldogs will be willing to lower an asking price for Smith to push Lobb off their books?

While I am not a big fan of the bloke or the player, he is unfortunately a better player at this stage than any of our depth talls and agree with the sentiment that he would be a Cox replacement
If it means that we keep our F1 then you’ll do the deal. O pi ens up all sots of possibilities for end of 2025/26

Remove this Banner Ad

Back