AFL player investigated for drug dealing

Remove this Banner Ad

I've always wondered what the connection is with the Herald Sun and Channel 7. They often seem connected in some unspoken way. Is there something I'm missing?
There used to be an informal link in the 70's and 80's, but the new media scene in terms of ownership has clouded any old alliances. They are not so apparent these days as evidenced by McGuire having some Herald Sun input in the past.

To be honest, Stokes and News Ltd really have no reason to be in bed together after Stokes' 200 mill fiasco.

But it was OK for the media to tee off on Didak when he took a drunken ride in a car with a future murder? Wasn't it your club that proceeded to boo him? Now you expect us to ignore it for reasons we can't say.

You and your fellow Dawk supporters are hypocrits, called for my club to sack a player but all of a sudden rumours and innudendo about an unamed player are crap and should be ignored.

It was also okay for the media to tee off on a phone conversation Daniel Kerr had 4 years ago...

Hawthorn lead the charge against the Eagles & Didak - mainly because of your high profile prez - ban Cousins for 2 years was his call despite no positive tests. Will he call for the same for his players or perhaps it should be life bans with 2 positive tests?.

I don't advocate hypocracy whether it's from the Hawthorn president or anyone else. FWIW I don't agree with the 2 year ban argument.

While I agree the medical records should never have been used, the fact is 'the unnamed club' has a drug culture
Be careful about naming the club - it violates the injunction. But yes, I was up there saying that Cousins and Didak were treated unfairly. And if any issue happens to affect my club I will be more vocal than if it is another club. I won't change my view on the topic though, you'll see I've been consistent on this.

So let's see. A player was investigated.
The investigation went nowhere. The claim was unsubstantiated.
But the Detective tells us that "any investigation can be re-opened" if they receive new information.

Strangely enough, the investigations usually go nowhere, even when the police have recordings of dealings, that is the power of our number one sport.

Maybe the fact that the injunction was based in the Supreme Court in Victoria means that other states can publish more?

Very interesting article in The Australian that names the club in the opening paragraph, then goes on to say (in the last para) "The club and players cannot be named in Victoria for legal reasons following a Victorian Supreme Court injunction."

Maybe the fact that the injunction was based in the Supreme Court in Victoria means that other states can publish more?

Very interesting article in The Australian that names the club in the opening paragraph, then goes on to say (in the last para) "The club and players cannot be named in Victoria for legal reasons following a Victorian Supreme Court injunction."[/URL]

An article is deemed to be published wherever it is read. In the context of modern media, it is impossible not to publish an article anywhere without the club and players being "named in Victoria".

This doesn't sound too good:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22323292-5006065,00.html
A source close to the AFL star said the investigated player's affinity with drugs "went to another level'' when he started dealing.

"He would brag about making $10,000 a week from it,'' the source said. "He's had scales and cutting equipment just lying around his house. His teammates would just come over and pick it up.''

The player would openly use and deal illicit substances during the Spring Racing Carnival, the source said.

"At the spring carny . . . it was rife, just out of control. Two or three times a day, every day ... he'd have it in his pocket and just do it then and there.''

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Partly.

On the other hand, once the finals are out of the question, clubs build for "next year". That means playing kids who are not ready, experimenting with game plans and player roles, dropping senior players who are "on the way out" despite being nominally in their best 22, and sending players off for surgery before the home and away season is completed.

No rule changes will fix this. The game is too professional nowadays, and clubs that dont prepare early for next season - call it tanking - are culpable for not using August as part of an extended preseason.
The difference is all about the extent to which clubs go. Experimenting and trying kids has always happened. Not tying to win while doing it is a product of the draft rules.

A source close to the AFL star said the investigated player's affinity with drugs "went to another level'' when he started dealing.

"He would brag about making $10,000 a week from it,'' the source said. "He's had scales and cutting equipment just lying around his house. His teammates would just come over and pick it up.''

The player would openly use and deal illicit substances during the Spring Racing Carnival, the source said.

"At the spring carny . . . it was rife, just out of control. Two or three times a day, every day ... he'd have it in his pocket and just do it then and there.''

Wow. :eek:

Your comprehension skills need a bit of work.

No they don't . I have no problem with you Hawthorn supporters coming in here and defending your club from allegations to the point of making yourselves look like complete morons . But i draw the line at you defending illicit drugs, try and defend your club, but please don't try and insult the general public's intelligence . :rolleyes:

Is that why he called his child "Charlie" ?

PS This is just a guess - I really have no Idea

Leather Poisioning - "You're beginning to make a fool of yourself because you're annoyed at the treatment Didak got.

Don't take it out on people who are actually arguing for the same thing you were with Didak."

Hawthorn lead the charge against the Eagles & Didak - mainly because of your high profile prez - ban Cousins for 2 years was his call despite no positive tests. Will he call for the same for his players or perhaps it should be life bans with 2 positive tests?

While I agree the medical records should never have been used, the fact is your club has a drug culture & you ain't copping it like the Eagles & to some degree Collingwood did over Didak. Perhaps Benny will now not be boo'ed when in Melbourne. You are getting little sympathy now owing to your club's previous statements.

By the way if the Telegraph piece is right the player is much more than a source for mates on a big night out.

That being said I think recreational drug abuse are not as big an issue as alcohol abuse & that all drugs should be legalised. I am not really too bothered by it all. So, some young overpaid boof heads do drugs - what a shock. Here was me thinking they was paragons of virtue & members of born again christian sects.

I'm Kennets bigest critic but you are so wrong there.

His COI is his son was busted with them

No they don't . I have no problem with you Hawthorn supporters coming in here and defending your club from allegations to the point of making yourselves look like complete morons . But i draw the line at you defending illicit drugs, try and defend your club, but please don't try and insult the general public's intelligence . :rolleyes:

Show me where I've done these things AND show me where my view on the issue now differs from the WCE saga (which would indicate a change of perspective due to allegiance)

You are tarring me with the same brush as others with no base other than my supported team.

You have also taken two quotes and completely misinterpreted them.

It seems to me that you are hysterical right now.

Why wouldn't eye witness accounts be enough? Couldn't they get a warrant based on that, do a raid and find the said illegal substances? Seems a bit dumb that everyone knows (and sees) whats going on but nothing can be done.

What do you actually want to do about it? What do you want to see done?
Would you like to see this country turn into a police state and everyone who took drugs, arrested and chucked in the slammer?

What f**kin' world are you living in, mate?

Last night, I was listening to SEN and I laughed my arse off as Shibeci and his mate contemplated this "massive" problem of not only drugs in football, but drugs in society. They sounded genuinely frightened and helpless. Like it was Dawn Of The Dead or Invasion Of The Body Snatchers.

This is the only positive out of this whole hysteria of "illicit drugs in football"

It means that people who haven't got a f**kin' clue are opening their eyes and realizing that drugs are about and people will take them. Not just druggie scumbags, but healthy fit people, Brownlow Medallists and AFL Hall Of Famers.

You cannot eliminate this so-called "drug problem"
Drugs are everywhere.

Hopefully with all this natter, more people will realise how futile prohibition is.

The day they make all drugs legal and available over the counter, is they day our society can start moving forwards. People free to make their own choices and enjoy themselves. People able to seek medical help rather than be marginalised or criminalised.

Imagine how much safer the world would be if we legalised all drugs, not just a handful of socially-acceptable drugs, but if we removed the whole criminality surrounding harder drugs. Our police force would have nothing left to do.

It's unfortunate that the wowsers think all kids will start shooting up heroin if it was legal. Everyone knows it's a road to ruin. It doesn't matter if it's legal or illegal, the same number of people are going to go down that path.

OK, so here's what Christine Nixon actually said about it
"It was looked at and we determined that the information was not credible or reliable and so we did not pursue that investigation any further."

So it's starting to sound more like a Herald Sun report isn't it. Selective reporting once more in order to sensationalize and sell a few more papers... and everyone sucks it in because they don't cross check anything just believe a Murdoch paper. Where's the critical thought?

Then followed by a few quotes from Steve Carey who is all holier than thou 'don't shoot the messenger ' journalist crap.

The thing is that this story gets run ahead of the fact that there are sex slaves being held hostage at a place near you or Australian mining companies offering support to genocide in an African country. Does this get a run? No, anti-Australian, therefore bad for business - the story gets buried

Insane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back