Women's football licences to be announced today- who gets in???

Remove this Banner Ad

I know I might sound a bit negative here, but why give licenses to a club that is losing over $2 million a year. Trust me they are not going to make money from the womens team in the next 10 years at least. So wouldn't you be better off either giving it to a financial powerhouse at the moment like Hawthorn or give the 4th victorian license to WA where the participation is the highest outside victoria, with the most profitable club in the competition.

For a start, all start up costs are covered by the AFL and we don't need to build new facilities.

As for the rest, I don't know ... what is the target demographic for women's soccer?

The standard will rise as more become interested. What was the standard of football like back in the 1800s? It was a dour arm wrestle with bugger all scoring but the sporting public embraced it and it evolved. You have to start somewhere.

I will watch competitive sports wherever I find it. I enjoy watching women's soccer, basketball, netball, hockey etc etc. I don't hold them to the standard of men's sports, just how they compete with each other. If Carlton's women's team is vastly inferior to the rest of the league, that may be problematic. If a female player can't kick a goal from 60m or get a launch on the shoulders of a pack, I couldn't give a s**t.

Some will want to support the comp in its formative stages and be part of history. Some will find any reason they can to throw stones at the concept.

We should write to the club and ask them to ensure that none of your membership dollars are used on an inferior product. If they give the option, I'll gladly sign over some of mine to support the cause. In fact, I'll increase my membership despite not even living in Victoria.

The thing is back in the 1800's they weren't throwing huge sums of money at a very average standard of sport.

Fast forward to today and the AFL are trying to turn something that doesn't have a long history as a sport compared to other organized women's sports into this national competition before the product is even any good. What do they say about first impressions last?

If I have a choice between watching various levels of AFL sports talent I'm not going to pick an under 15's standard game if I have countless better options to watch. Some that don't even cost me money to watch.

I can't watch women's soccer because the goal keepers on the whole are laughable. So if a female player can't kick an AFL ball at least 40 I don't want to watch that either.

I like women's basketball though because they actually play at a high standard even compared to men.

Realistically though, how much is it going to cost?

According to an article a couple of months ago the AFL is gifting each club close to $1 Million to get them up and running for the woman's comp. So once you chuck on the extra sponsors each team should easily be able to gather if they target female companys/products, then it will initially end up costing the 8 teams barely anything.

I do question the rationale of more women playing football will equate to more spectators and members for the mens comp.

Soccer has huge numbers of girls and women playing that doesn't translate into large amounts females at the actual A-League matches.

Bad comparison. Have you ever been to an A-League match? The crowds are a disturbing and demented riot fuelled by testosterone, hate, alcohol and flares. It would have to be one of the least female friendly environments in the world.

Are people forgetting that close to %50 of AFL members are female? There is potential for huge popularity in this competition if done correctly, as was shown last year when the Melbourne-Dogs female game peaked at 501,000 viewers on channel 7. In fact that women's game broadcast drew an average audience in Melbourne of 175,000 compared with the 114,000 average audience for the Adelaide Vs Essendon game at Etihad the previous day. Yes that is correct, the female game out rated a game between 2 of the AFL's biggest clubs. This is without hardly any marketing and advertising as well as being between 2 of the AFL's minnow clubs.

Bad comparison. Have you ever been to an A-League match? The crowds are a disturbing and demented riot fuelled by testosterone, hate, alcohol and flares. It would have to be one of the least female friendly environments in the world.

Good comparison. Have you ever been to Richmond home games?

Supporters of clubs who didn't get a license, yesterday: This is a great opportunity, really hope we get a license and grow our membership, TV revenue, supporter base etc

Supporters of clubs who didn't get a license, today: It's a novelty competition, who cares, now we can concentrate on the main thing, it's just white noise.

Have to laugh at the lengths footy fans go to rationalise away anything to protect their egos. Personally, I would have enjoyed seeing another North team running around and sharing in the spoils of the new competition and all that will come with it. Ah well, maybe next year.

We're already wasting crap loads on GWS, do we need to waste more on something that will never attract crowds that make it financially viable?

I'm totally agaisnt this model for setting up a women's league, it's too much too soon and will have an adverse affect on how the sport is viewed because you're asking far too much of the players available at this stage to provide a product that's worth people paying money to watch and justifiable in how much it's costing to run.

Putting the cart before the horse on this one.
I've been in Brisbane for a long time now and have had direct experience with both local men's and women's football. Most of the local clubs are pretty much like southern clubs. Full of rusted on supporters from rusted on families. No doubt it's not all but there's a heap of "Mexicans" that don't need to be sold on the game.

The women's game though is the model the AFL would love for the men. Most players come from other sports and many don't have much idea about the AFL when they first start playing. After 12 months they've all got an AFL team and are watching football religiously. In plenty of cases this has direct impact on their families too.

Frankly the return from Women's Football could be the best investment the AFL have ever made up here.

Also the expansion in women's football is happening all over Queensland. Not just Brisbane. It's been quite amazing over the past 5 years the numbers turning up to play all over the state. Hence why I think Queensland should have more than one team. Townsville/Cairns are a long way from Brisbane and women's football is already doing well up there. Not practical for girls in that region to relocate for a Brisbane team.

I trust you've never been to an A-League game, then. There's thousands of women that attend A-League games ever week and have a great time. Don't let your hatred of soccer get in the way.

I've been in Brisbane for a long time now and have had direct experience with both local men's and women's football. Most of the local clubs are pretty much like southern clubs. Full of rusted on supporters from rusted on families. No doubt it's not all but there's a heap of "Mexicans" that don't need to be sold on the game.

The women's game though is the model the AFL would love for the men. Most players come from other sports and many don't have much idea about the AFL when they first start playing. After 12 months they've all got an AFL team and are watching football religiously. In plenty of cases this has direct impact on their families too.

Frankly the return from Women's Football could be the best investment the AFL have ever made up here.

Also the expansion in women's football is happening all over Queensland. Not just Brisbane. It's been quite amazing over the past 5 years the numbers turning up to play all over the state. Hence why I think Queensland should have more than one team. Townsville/Cairns are a long way from Brisbane and women's football is already doing well up there. Not practical for girls in that region to relocate for a Brisbane team.

My issue isn't with building up from the grass roots as you point out is happening, that's how you should build it up.

The trouble is the AFL in their haste are going to thrust this game into the public eye perhaps even on tv and while there might be a few bonafide guns out there in the female ranks there's also a hell of a lot of very average players who'll be running around in this league at its inception.

If you want people to take the game seriously don't spend all this money promoting it and putting it together if the product on show is a low standard.

Look how quickly people turn the channel or won't attend games when our most elite men's league teams over the years have stunk it up.

Novelty might get people to one game, but a junior football standard won't keep them coming back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to an article a couple of months ago the AFL is gifting each club close to $1 Million to get them up and running for the woman's comp. So once you chuck on the extra sponsors each team should easily be able to gather if they target female companys/products, then it will initially end up costing the 8 teams barely anything.

Are people forgetting that close to %50 of AFL members are female? There is potential for huge popularity in this competition if done correctly, as was shown last year when the Melbourne-Dogs female game peaked at 501,000 viewers on channel 7. In fact that women's game broadcast drew an average audience in Melbourne of 175,000 compared with the 114,000 average audience for the Adelaide Vs Essendon game at Etihad the previous day. Yes that is correct, the female game out rated a game between 2 of the AFL's biggest clubs. This is without hardly any marketing and advertising as well as being between 2 of the AFL's minnow clubs.

A single game between the 44 best womens footballers on the planet vs 1 melbourne team in a 22 round season
wait till the talent is spread between 8 teams and they play more than a single game and lets see what the average viewership is... itll be under 50k

We we'll see how many people turn up to their games then. They'll need 5-10k a game crowds to justify the money and resources we'll be putting into it.

What exactly is the target demographic for women's football though?

Given it's such a low standard who realistically will they expect to come and watch it?

I believe you are in the minority! Pathetic reasoning!

I'm more than happy to watch the U10's run around and kick the ball....and i know this womens league will be superior in comparison.

My issue isn't with building up from the grass roots as you point out is happening, that's how you should build it up.

The trouble is the AFL in their haste are going to thrust this game into the public eye perhaps even on tv and while there might be a few bonafide guns out there in the female ranks there's also a hell of a lot of very average players who'll be running around in this league at its inception.

If you want people to take the game seriously don't spend all this money promoting it and putting it together if the product on show is a low standard.

Look how quickly people turn the channel or won't attend games when our most elite men's league teams over the years have stunk it up.

Novelty might get people to one game, but a junior football standard won't keep them coming back.
Yeah I'm not sold on the strategy but the AFL's reasoning is focused on improving the standard.

They want to attract top talent from other women's sport. Without professional facilities those women wouldn't play Aussie Rules. Other sports already have those facilities for elite talent.

I'm more than happy to watch the U10's run around and kick the ball....and i know this womens league will be superior in comparison.

I don't care what I'm in. It's perfect reasoning to me. I'm sure you're one of the happy clappys that doesn't want to keep score too.

Perhaps you just set your football standards low to match your own?

The thing is back in the 1800's they weren't throwing huge sums of money at a very average standard of sport.

Someone was paying to kit them out, to maintain the grounds, to lease the grounds. It is all relative to the times. Yes, it was an amateur sport but I don't think anybody is suggesting equal pay and suggesting it is at a professional level from the outset.

Fast forward to today and the AFL are trying to turn something that doesn't have a long history as a sport compared to other organized women's sports into this national competition before the product is even any good. What do they say about first impressions last?

How does it get traction in today's sporting landscape playing as fragmented suburban competitions?

If I have a choice between watching various levels of AFL sports talent I'm not going to pick an under 15's standard game if I have countless better options to watch. Some that don't even cost me money to watch.

I can't watch women's soccer because the goal keepers on the whole are laughable. So if a female player can't kick an AFL ball at least 40 I don't want to watch that either.

How many have to tell you that this isn't about you and your entertainment preferences before you stop spruiking it?

How does it get traction in today's sporting landscape playing as fragmented suburban competitions?

By doing the hard yards and forming their own state leagues. Plenty of other sports have done that.

How many have to tell you that this isn't about you and your entertainment preferences before you stop spruiking it?

Well yes it is. It's all about entertainment and the paying customer.

That's why its a billion dollar business.

Yeah you would watch the under 10s every week if they were on tv would you?
Just because their women doesn't mean people need to pretend to like the product
It's gonna be a very low standard
I watched a little of the brisbane melbourne game this year ... was horrible watching

Bulldogs - tick. Groundwork and whole west of Melbourne region

Melbourne - tick Groundwork

Collingwood - tick Northern and Eastern regions

Carlton - WTF? Makes three teams within 5 ks of each other

GWS - WTF? Already costing a fortune to keep them afloat.

Others meh.

No representation for southern and bayside even though it has the highest participation of women footballers in Australia.

Typically stupid AFL. Absolutely incompetent. Couldnt even keep it a secret until 11.00 am.
= I want my club to have a team dammit !!!!

I don't see why Carlton being involved is an issue.

They are really determined to expand their brand, and I recall reading somewhere a bunch of statistics showing Carlton to have the smallest support base for women in Victoria. Obviously they wish to do something about that.

And the bid they handed in was well received by the AFL. Involvement isn't the problem, it's whether the team can be managed properly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back